Nintendo to Launch New Memory Card

MorganWebbLover

CAGiversary!
Nintendo launched the GameCube with the Memory Card 59, which proved to be not enough memory for many games launched by third party developers. Within months, Nintendo launched a bigger storage medium, simply called Memory Card 251. The bigger size gave developers a little more flexibility; however, many sports titles would require one whole card.

Today a listing appeared on the Electronics Boutique Web site showing that Nintendo may be upping the memory card once again. According to the site, Nintendo plans on launching the Memory Card 1019 on June 8th, 2004. The card, which holds slightly more than 4 times more information than its predecessor, has a retail price of $29.99.

All I can say is it's about damn time Nintendo !

Mmmm Morgan Webb..

Anyways.. 30$ is a bit heavy for a memory card.. I havent bought a memory card... Since nintendo 64.. Other than the free MIR for xbox..

But comparing this to the 251.. I think Ill buy this one.. Especially for 25$ with ggc.

I read about that a while back, but when I did, it was merely speculation. Good thing I don't play any sports games on my GC, so my 251 is only about 1/4 full.

Sounds cool. Right now I have 3 251s and 2 59s but it is annoying switching cards and keeping things straight. I think I'll get one big one and put everything on it (well, except the PSO and F-Zero GX stuff which you can't move :( )

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']You can't move F-Zero GX stuff?![/quote]

AFAIK you can't. Since I have 3 251 cards and a heck of a lot of games, one day I decided to organize my save files and put A-H on one card, I-M on another, N-Z on the third or something to that effect. The F-Zero stuff, when you select in in the memory card menu, simply has the option to erase, not move or copy. Same with PSO. I'm guessing it's because you can use your save data in the arcade and they don't want people giving their friends copies of their save data to get the bonuses without playing the arcade version. However, most of us can't even find the arcade version anyway. How stupid and lame. :x

PSO at least has a good excuse, since they're trying to keep people from cheating and duplicating their rare items to ruin the online part of the game.

[quote name='video_gamer324']Does Nintendo still make the memory cards with 59 blocks? I haven't seen those in a long time.[/quote]

I don't think so. I have two official 59s, but I got them before the 251s came out. The 251s cost the same as the 59s used to cost, which is good.

[quote name='video_gamer324']Does Nintendo still make the memory cards with 59 blocks? I haven't seen those in a long time.[/quote]
I think that they still make them for Animal Crossing, or use overstock atleast.

Hurray! We have 3 Sims Bustin Out games saved for various people in my family and they take up 159 blocks...we have 4 memory 251 cards and still have trouble with having to delete files in order to save another game. I was just about ready to go get a 3rd party larger memory card but now I'll wait for the official one...thanks for the info!

I have two GCN 251's right now, just started filling up my second one and I think its already ~70 blocks down, owning around 25 cube games and renting a few as well. They fill up fast buying at the cheapassgamer rate. I will probably buy one of these and consolidate all my save files, be better than switching, especially once I get to 3 cards. Nintendo really should have had this from the beginning. You really should only have to buy one memory card in a systems life, maybe two if you own every last game.

i've got saves from about 3-4 GC games on my mem card and i havent filled it up yet.. its a 3rd party Mad Catz that says 4x on it... dunno how big it is, but its enough for me right now

ALSO.. this card only cost me $4 brand new at walmart.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I like the PS2 memmory cards, they own the GCN cards.[/quote]

I like the Xbox hard drive. It came with the system and after so many game saves it still has 50,000+ blocks.

bread's done
Back