Nintendo: We still hate you (Hard drive, Wii codes, other stuff in interview)

Doomed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15986
Another WiiWare question -- considering the Wii has a rather small flash drive, how many titles will it be able to hold? For example, even though Crystal Chronicles on WiiWare is not going to be large, it might be difficult to have even ten games of that volume.

A lot of the games for WiiWare that have been submitted so far are smaller in size, so they're not gonna take up a ton of your drive. But the way that we look at it is, we really don't want people storing every single game they buy on their drive. When you buy a game, it's yours forever, so you can delete it, and go back and get it at any time you want. In a way, we liken it to putting music on your iPod; you listen to it for a while, and then you get tired of it, and you pull it off, and you put some new stuff on.
Now that Monster Hunter 3 is announced as a Wii exclusive, there's been some speculation that this game might be the first to "circumvent" friend codes, because it really hinges on group play, and friend codes can be somewhat unwieldy. Will there be some kind of solution to this?.

We're still discussing that; we don't have anything to announce today. But the way that we think about friend codes is, when folks are online, and they want to play, they typically want to play with their friends. And so, they want to keep it to groups of people they know. We've seen, in the feedback we've gotten, that people don't mind the friend codes. They like them, because it keeps them playing with the friends that they do know, and it keeps their games "undisturbed," if you will.
---line---
Nintendo

(see what I did there?)

There's also this little gem:
We've seen, in the feedback we've gotten, that people don't mind the friend codes. They like them, because it keeps them playing with the friends that they do know, and it keeps their games "undisturbed," if you will.
I'm thinking that they get their feedback from morons.

[quote name='Kaijufan']There's also this little gem:

I'm thinking that they get their feedback from morons.[/quote]

I skimmed it, and remembered there was something else of note, but couldn't remember what it was. Thanks.

Everyone should literally start hand-writing letters to Nintendo of Japan saying they need to give us HDD support and that Friend Codes should die. Perhaps to be fair, maybe one of Miyamoto or Iwata's kids were accosted online.

[quote name='Doomed']In a way, we liken it to putting music on your iPod; you listen to it for a while, and then you get tired of it, and you pull it off, and you put some new stuff on.
[/QUOTE]

Bad analogy. For one, most iPods are larger than 512mb, not to mention you can fit at least 500 compressed music files into that space. Besides, at least the iPod allows for several different options. If you want to carry all (or most) of your music around with you, you have the availability to do so. I feel the Wii should be the same way, give us more storage space! I don't want to have to delete and re-download games if I run out of space.

Not enabling the SD / USB harddrive seems so weird. It could be a totally passive thing other just turning it on. It's gotta be related to DRM-breaking fears.

Friend codes? Eh, they're obnoxious but I've come to expect them.

Nintendo of Japan Address. I'm writing them.

10F
Kanayalal Building 8-4
4-Chome, Kumochi-cho, Chuo-ku
Kobe 651-0056
Japan

[quote name='daroga']It's gotta be related to DRM-breaking fears.[/quote] Nintendo could come up with the best encryption ever and people would break it. Developers should just realize that people downloading your games is gonna happen, it's just a matter of how many cardboard walls they put up in between. (have you seen how fast most systems are hacked?)

Well, I stopped buying VC games a couple of months ago and no matter what comes out (even if it is Eartbound...) I won't buy a thing until they fix this issue. I have NO space on my Wii and am not going to inconveniently copy things over to an SD card so that I can't play them for a while. Insane. Nintendo is turning into the worst money driven company. What happened to caring about what we want?

[quote name='Zen Davis']Nintendo of Japan Address. I'm writing them.

10F
Kanayalal Building 8-4
4-Chome, Kumochi-cho, Chuo-ku
Kobe 651-0056
Japan[/quote] I just did a search for Eric Walter Nintendo and found his hotmail address. I sent him a polite email about why I felt his opinion was wrong about friend codes.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Dear Eric,
Sorry if I'm using the wrong email address to contact you, this was the only one I could find.

I was reading your Gamasutra E for All interview where you said "We've seen, in the feedback we've gotten, that people don't mind the friend codes. They like them, because it keeps them playing with the friends that they do know, and it keeps their games "undisturbed," if you will."

I'm not sure where you're getting your feedback from, but if you ask any gamer they will tell you that you need new sources of feedback. All of my friends who own Wiis, both casual fans and hardcore gamers, dislike the friend code system and some don't even bother with the Wii's online system because of it. It's bad enough that I have to enter 16 digit friend codes to send messages and Miis to my friends, but having to enter 12 digit friend codes for simple online games with no voice chat is very disappointing. I also own an Xbox 360, and if a game with online multiplayer comes out on both systems I'll buy it for the Xbox, without hesitation. Xbox Live is just that much better then the Wii's current online system. If I could pay $50 a year for the Wii's online system to be basically the same thing as Xbox Live I would be happy to pay.

Now I know the Wii online system is something that Nintendo of America most likely has very little control over, but please don't insult gamers by saying that people don't mind the Wii's friend codes. If you're ever in a meeting with the bigwigs at Nintendo of Japan, tell them that the Wii's online system is something that American Gamers (and most likely gamers around the world) don't like.

Thanks,[/quote]

In a way, we liken it to putting music on your iPod; you listen to it for a while, and then you get tired of it, and you pull it off, and you put some new stuff on.

Umm...no. I put all my 3500+ songs on it and add on anything else I buy.

Nintendo really has no clue sometimes.

Yeah, I agree. Nintendo needs a really good bundle at Frys to make up for all of their problems.
[quote name='dmaul1114']Umm...no. I put all my 3500+ songs on it and add on anything else I buy.

Nintendo really has no clue sometimes.[/quote]

[quote name='tayaf69']Well, I stopped buying VC games a couple of months ago and no matter what comes out (even if it is Eartbound...) I won't buy a thing until they fix this issue. I have NO space on my Wii and am not going to inconveniently copy things over to an SD card so that I can't play them for a while. Insane. Nintendo is turning into the worst money driven company. What happened to caring about what we want?[/quote]Wow, you must've really bought a ton!

Personally, I don't have an issue with VC games (I'm not even close to filling it). What I would have an issue doing is deleting everything just to get a bigger Wii Ware game.

[quote name='Kaijufan']There's also this little gem:

We've seen, in the feedback we've gotten, that people don't mind the friend codes. They like them, because it keeps them playing with the friends that they do know, and it keeps their games "undisturbed," if you will.

I'm thinking that they get their feedback from morons.[/quote]

ya... who the hell says they like friend codes? out of all the forums i've been to, not even 1 person has said they liked it.

also... that no HD things is really stupid. what kind of analogy are they using? iPods today have 30-160 GB of space. The Wii doesn't even have 1 GB. even the cheap models of ipod have at least 1 GB....and thats 200+ songs.

they could at least allow it to be run off SD cards or an external hard drive. they can encode something in it that prevents it from loading onto another Wii or on the computer if they want. you cant always download stuff WiFi. Like if your modem or router overheats.

Friend codes? Annoying, but I can live with it. Not as big a deal as many people say.

No Wii HD? Thank God! I don't want to buy an expensive, single purpose HD just to store games when I have plenty of SD cards on hand.

Ive gotten used to the idea of friend codes cos I know it will never change. And by 'used to' I mean, I dont play Nintendo games online.

But don't fucking LIE about it and say that people like them. Thats complete bullshit. They probably explained the idea to some moms and they said it was a good idea. Theres no fucking way a gamer said that was a good idea.

Their iPod analogy is bullshit as well. I have a 5gb mp3 player as my 'small' player, and I have another 30gb player. I wouldnt spend $10 on a 512mb player. I NEVER take songs off my players, and I doubt anyone else does either.

I love Nintendo but those commnets sound like something a Sony rep would say.

[quote name='Scrubking']Friend codes? Annoying, but I can live with it. Not as big a deal as many people say.

No Wii HD? Thank God! I don't want to buy an expensive, single purpose HD just to store games when I have plenty of SD cards on hand.[/quote]

The thing that bothers me is you need to have it fucking on the console to play a VC game instead of it letting you play off SD.

Depending on the size of Wii Ware games, one could speculate that a firmware update will allow playing games off of the SD card in the future

[quote name='alongx']Depending on the size of Wii Ware games, one could speculate that a firmware update will allow playing games off of the SD card in the future[/quote]
Yeah if you look at screenshots of the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Wii Ware game it doesn't seem like the game could fit in a few hundred megabytes unless it was really short.

[quote name='WiiGame']ya... who the hell says they like friend codes? out of all the forums i've been to, not even 1 person has said they liked it.

[/QUOTE]

SOCCER MOMS AND KIDDIES

[quote name='Apossum']....
SOCCER MOMS AND KIDDIES[/quote]

Everyone I talk to, even kiddies, hate Wii codes/friend codes. Maybe really stupid soccer moms.

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but MTV's blog had an interview with Perrin Kaplan.

Multiplayer: When those WiiWare games come out, what am I supposed to save them onto?

Kaplan: [pause] Hmm, you just asked me a good question.

Multiplayer: You just insulted the rest of my questions!

Kaplan: I know. I did because now you’re going into the technical arena, aren’t you? I actually think you’re supposed to save them on your system, that you then make room for it.

Multiplayer: That “Final Fantasy” [WiiWare] game in Japan looked pretty nice. I don’t think I could fit that on the system.

Kaplan: Well, you’ll have to get an extra card.

Multiplayer: Maybe I’ll have to buy a second system and save it onto the second Wii.

Kaplan: You’ll just have to have a lot of extra cards.

It doesn't sound too promising from here either. Although she doesn't seem to know too much about what is going on with the technical side, or at least won't admit it.

[quote name='alongx']Depending on the size of Wii Ware games, one could speculate that a firmware update will allow playing games off of the SD card in the future[/QUOTE]

Of course one could speculate, but Nintendo keeps denying the speculation citing extremely odd logic.

My assumption is that they assume that allowing loading code directly off of SD or HDD will create a new vector to hack the system and want to avoid it as long as possible or give themselves more time to secure loading of the code.

[quote name='Doomed']Everyone I talk to, even kiddies, hate Wii codes/friend codes. Maybe really stupid soccer moms.[/QUOTE]

My post was kind of a joke ;) but seriously, if they aren't lying completely the comments, then Nintendo is getting some feedback from "the blue ocean" i.e. not forum-going gamers with a serious interest in the console. Or maybe they asked some gamers and thought "okay, we'll just do the opposite of that."

[quote name='drfunk85']I don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but MTV's blog had an interview with Perrin Kaplan.

It doesn't sound too promising from here either. Although she doesn't seem to know too much about what is going on with the technical side, or at least won't admit it.[/quote] What does she mean when she says "You'll have to buy an extra card."? Is she talking about SD cards? He's saying that he doesn't think that Final Fantasy will fit in the Wii's memory and she says to buy more SD cards? Her answer doesn't make any sense.
Why hasn't she been fired yet?

[quote name='Kaijufan']Why hasn't she been fired yet?[/QUOTE]
She has in a sense. They used the ol' "we're moving to San Francisco" routine on her. Once she's taken up her full-time spot elsewhere NOA will realize leaving WA is harder than they thought and have a change of heart. Unfortunately by then Perrin's position will have been filled and, oh well, you know how it goes. ;)

I know there's nothing official to suggest it, but I can't believe that an external hard drive won't happen. Especially if they have plans of extending the VC's offerings to other platforms and/or making Wii Ware something worth looking into. The mind, it boggles.

Why are they pretending like the lack of convenience and functionality that comes with the internal memory/SD card restriction is somehow iTunes-like? Is that the best excuse they can come up with? If you're going to half-ass it like that, why not just say "We're afraid your storage device has cooties"?

Maybe the bullshit "Wii 2.0" is that much closer to a reality and they're afraid to toss in functionality that will compete with the 2nd generation Wii. I realize that's goofy conjecture but what else do we have at this point? Kaplan's typical mess and phony internal surveys?

[quote name='dothog']She has in a sense. They used the ol' "we're moving to San Francisco" routine on her. Once she's taken up her full-time spot elsewhere NOA will realize leaving WA is harder than they thought and have a change of heart. Unfortunately by then Perrin's position will have been filled and, oh well, you know how it goes. ;)
[/quote]She's not staying with NOA. She resigned effective the end of the year.

[quote name='Apossum']My post was kind of a joke ;) but seriously, if they aren't lying completely the comments, then Nintendo is getting some feedback from "the blue ocean" i.e. not forum-going gamers with a serious interest in the console. Or maybe they asked some gamers and thought "okay, we'll just do the opposite of that."[/quote]

I imagine it went something like this...

Nintendo got a bunch of parents into a room and asked them:

"Would you be in favor of an online security measure that ensured that your children could only play online games with people they know and that child predators would have no way to engage your children while they are online using Nintendo products?"

Parents (in unison) "YESSS!!!"

Nintendo: "See? Everyone we spoke to LUVS the friend codes!"

This is why I will miss Perrin Kaplan. She was the only sure thing at Nintendo. If she said something wasn't happening, you could be 100% assured that it was. Never has a PR rep been so poorly informed and so frequently proved wrong, often within days of making a statement.

Sounds like this Eric Walter character is cut from the same cloth.

Kaijufan: Great letter. Doubt it will have much effect (other than to make Eric feel bad, which is a good thing in and of itself), but you addressed all the key points and suggested reasonable courses of action without sounding like a slathering, illiterate fanboy. Nice work.

The truth hurts sometimes, friend codes will NEVER go away, if you buy Nintendo, you either live with the friend codes, or don't buy Nintendo. This is exactly the reason why I haven't bought a Wii yet. Nintendo apparently doesn't have their head out of their ass yet, if they gave the public what the public wants, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but this is clearly what the public does not want and they are making excuses to cover up for their moronic ways. I remain cynical about the Wii, but with this kind of attitude, I will never buy one. Or if I do it will be 5-10 years down the line when they are going for 20$ used at yard sales.

Either that or they are making excuses to please the overprotective soccer moms of America, and if thats the audience that the Wii caters to, then I don't want one.

I am an adult, and if I pay 250$ for a console plus games and controllers I expect to be able to use it how I please, not to be governed by the overprotectiveness of Nintendo.

The fact that Nintendo also closed their forums on their website (where even friend code sharing was strictly prohibited) is another prime example of this, they are so worried that other gamers are god forbid going to meet other gamers online that they had to shut down their own forums so there would be no way for that to happen in Nintendo's presense.

[quote name='SaraAB']The truth hurts sometimes, friend codes will NEVER go away, if you buy Nintendo, you either live with the friend codes, or don't buy Nintendo. This is exactly the reason why I haven't bought a Wii yet. Nintendo apparently doesn't have their head out of their ass yet, if they gave the public what the public wants, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but this is clearly what the public does not want and they are making excuses to cover up for their moronic ways. I remain cynical about the Wii, but with this kind of attitude, I will never buy one. Or if I do it will be 5-10 years down the line when they are going for 20$ used at yard sales.

Either that or they are making excuses to please the overprotective soccer moms of America, and if thats the audience that the Wii caters to, then I don't want one.

I am an adult, and if I pay 250$ for a console plus games and controllers I expect to be able to use it how I please, not to be governed by the overprotectiveness of Nintendo.

The fact that Nintendo also closed their forums on their website (where even friend code sharing was strictly prohibited) is another prime example of this, they are so worried that other gamers are god forbid going to meet other gamers online that they had to shut down their own forums so there would be no way for that to happen in Nintendo's presense.[/quote]You've opted not to buy a Wii and exclude alot of great games from your library because you don't want to enter a few random numbers into a few games?

That seems reasonable.

[quote name='Kaijufan']What does she mean when she says "You'll have to buy an extra card."? Is she talking about SD cards? He's saying that he doesn't think that Final Fantasy will fit in the Wii's memory and she says to buy more SD cards? Her answer doesn't make any sense.
Why hasn't she been fired yet?[/quote]

I think she was saying that you would be able to run the game off of a SD card. While this isn't possible as of now, I think we are seeing a movement towards it. Smash and other games are allowing things to be accessed from cards while you are playing the game more and more.

[quote name='The Crotch']Their forums were a cesspool that made Gamefaqs look like MENSA. They reflected very poorly on the company, and the only people complaining about the closure of those boards are those fortunate enough never to have wandered into them.[/QUOTE]

I never frequented the forums, but damn thats a choice assessment.

Well it's bad news to be sure but at the same time, at least I'm not worried about buying a Wii next month and having a HDD equipped model roll out in the Spring.

Using numbers to identify your friends is just dumb. I mean, at least make it one for the whole system, and the code can be transferable/changed(like in the DS). I wouldn't mind if it was one code for all. But seriously, every game has a new code. Or even worse, every mii has a different code? 100 12 digit friend codes!!
How would you like it nintendo if you had to call people by numbers.

1246-1458-6946(teacher): "So does anyone know how to simplify N+N+1+N+2=85 ?" Yes, nine, eight, seven, nine, seven, six, seven, six, eight, six, seven, five?

9879-7676-8675(student, who raises hand) "It's 3N+3!"

1246-1458-6946: correct, nine, eight, seven, nine, seven, six, seven, six, eight, six, seven, five

[quote name='blackbird3216']Using numbers to identify your friends is just dumb. I mean, at least make it one for the whole system, and the code can be transferable/changed(like in the DS). I wouldn't mind if it was one code for all. But seriously, every game has a new code. Or even worse, every mii has a different code? 100 12 digit friend codes!!
How would you like it nintendo if you had to call people by numbers.
[/quote]

One friend code per system makes too much sense.

I really don't care. Multiplayer has always been a lower priority for me than the single-player experience. There are some exceptions. Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are my multiplayer life, basically, but I doubt I'd be doing much online with those (just not good enough).

[quote name='Puffa469']One friend code per system makes too much sense.[/quote]

In theory, yes, but I can see an argument by Nintendo that many different aged kids share the system. Not saying I agree, but something to consider. Maybe they could tie friend codes to your Mii.

[quote name='daroga']You've opted not to buy a Wii and exclude alot of great games from your library because you don't want to enter a few random numbers into a few games?

That seems reasonable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that seems like a bit much. Now I could see someone that plays games online 95% of the time passing on the Wii just because the entire online system sucks as a whole.

But just to skip it because of friend codes is a bit absurd.

[quote name='soonersfan60']In theory, yes, but I can see an argument by Nintendo that many different aged kids share the system. Not saying I agree, but something to consider. Maybe they could tie friend codes to your Mii.[/quote]

Having profiles for multiple users on a single system makes too much sense. ;)

bread's done
Back