Nintendo World Championships NWC

hudini16

CAG Veteran
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for anyone that has a grey or gold NWC cart. I am compiling a database of all the NWC carts out there.

I already have about twenty that I know about, so if you have one or you have friends that have one, please get in touch.

It has been said that there are only around 120 of these about, but there has been speculation that that the number is more likely in the 300's, so there are quite a few out there that nobody knows about.

Thanks,
Jack

Here's a pic:

I lost most of my NWC related stuff over the years. Hey, I was 9 at the time it took place. I didn't have pride in that kind of stuff back then like a douche. The only thing personally have is the game I won by making it to the semi-finals, Rescue Rangers (everyone won a free game of their choice $49.99 or under).

My mom, who was 42 at the time, was the oldest Semi-Finalist Female for the Portland, OR area. She's still got all of her stuff stored somewhere. The only thing she had on her was her Quarter-Finalist sticker. that she's kept in her purse for 17 years.

Technically, she didn't make the semi-finals. Although she was far and away the best Tetris player at the show of any age, she couldn't play Super Mario or Rad Racer worth a crap. However, she had the record or something for most points in Tetris in 30 seconds or something weird like that for the tournament. The guy who was the MC of the event... he was the host of Video Power when it was a gameshow... invited her on stage between events to challenge the Nintendo Power's editiors and she smoked them. They showed her on the big screen and she was just slamming Tetris' left and right, 100 lines in about 5 minutes with nothing but Tetrises. The Video Power guy is freaking out and there were a lot of people watching her. So when it came time for the semi-finals, I was in for my age division so they knew she would be there. They asked all of the other adult semi-finalists if she should be in. They said yes, the Video Power guy named her a semi-finalist. And hell, she out scored me and came like... I think just 12,000 points or so short of making the finals. It was really impressive. She's got a picture of herself with the Video Power guy pointing at her and saying "wow". She got some attention in the Oregonian. It was cool. We have to dig all that stuff out. BTW, she took "Mendel Palace" as her free game and hated it lol.

Here's the quarter finals sticker. 17 years in her purse. She got pissed when she heard the games they were using in the 1994 NWC was Star Fox.

NWCQuarterFinalist.jpg

Hey SurvivorCharlie,

Thanks for replying, that's a great story. I would love to see some pictures of the items from the competition.

So gaming runs in the family, nice!

[quote name='hudini16']Hey SurvivorCharlie,

Thanks for replying, that's a great story. I would love to see some pictures of the items from the competition.

So gaming runs in the family, nice![/QUOTE]

We have to dig out the stuff. Most of my stuff got lost and I don't think they gave out hats at the Portland, OR location. I had a T-Shirt but it was tossed out for severe holiness when I was like 12. The patch I had as a Semi-Finalist was stuck to a notebook I had in 4th grade that was promply lost. I still have a Nintendo Comic System book I won playing a Power Pad game somewhere, but it's not marked as an NWC edition.

Actually, there was hats but they didn't look like that. They were white with bland blue lettering on them and said "NWC Semi-Finalist". They were like golf hats. Visors. We actually had a bunch more then what we won because my mom picked up some. Truth... I don't know where they went and neither does she.

The patch was a very bland one that said "NWC VIP Semi-Finalist" or something like that. I remember getting an envelope that had the patch, the hat, and the free game cupon which also had the 'congrads you made it' letter attached to it if I'm not mistaken. I just looked through a couple boxes of stuff and couldn't find it. I'll keep looking.

And yeah, my mom is a pretty hardcore gamer, mostly puzzle games and action-RPGs. We do have a video tape of her making a perfect run through Solomon's Key without dying and grabbing every item, circa like 1988.

And she's still pissed that the Lolo series got discontinued. The first imported game my family had was Eggerland Meikyuu no Fukkatsu, which was an unrelased in the US Lolo game, pretty much Lolo 4.

Likely not. I think he's aiming for the numbers on the carts. Each cart was numbered.

Would I be correct in guessing that you're trying to prove there's more NWC carts out there then Nintendo officially announced? I'm guessing your correct. but it's just a hunch.

Survivor Charlie- I have a couple of pictures of the hat you are talking about and it is worn by one of the finalists in the NWC video on youtube.

Although I haven't seen the 'congratulations' letter before, if you find it I'd be interested in looking at this.

I'm almost 100% sure that there are more NWC carts out there then Nintendo officially announced. I think it's between 300-500 but it's just trying to find them!
Whilst you were there can you recall seeing an NWC cart or were you given one for making it to the semi finals?

Only finalists were given them.

I have no idea where the stuff is at. But my mother says the letter WAS the free game coupon. So it's a same bet to say there are none left out there as nobody is going to have hung on to a coupon good for a free $50 game.

Also, as correction... my mom took Kickle Cubicle, not Mendel Palace. She gets pissy when I get the details wrong.

The hat you have pictured was for sale at the shows and not a prize.

I assume you have gone over to digital press (digitpress.com) and searched the forums for more info and the best contacts. There is at least one guy over there who has amassed a lot of information about both varieties of the NWC.

Good luck. This is a topic I am also interested in and have gathered some info on, but not enough to help you out!

I'd be interested in the details you uncover or whatever your end product of this research is going to be.

Thanks Bavis, I am a member of Digital Press and have sent messages to a couple of members and RBudrick is the guy that has been researching this topic for a few years now.

Since I heard about this game recently I've been searching to buy one, but couldn't see myself paying a lot for it, but hopefully one day at a yard sale or something. Anyway, what's the story behind this game?

bread's done
Back