Nintendo World Store NYC GC Deals

heydanshere

CAG Veteran
The Nintendo World Store is trying to get rid of all the old Gamecube games. There are two left, each priced at $25, Odama (with mic) and Zelda:TP. They had one copy of Geist for $5 but I snatched it up! Some old GBA games are under ten dollars as well. To anyone in the NYC area interested, its located in Rockefeller Plaza.

Why would they keep Gamecube games? The GC games that are well known can be remade for the Wii and charge $30 for. Mario Sports are all going to have "sequels", there is no need for GC games. The Gamecube was a huge disaster for Nintendo, if you like it or not it was a disaster. I'm sure Nintendo wants to forget about it as soon as possible.

And Odama is $20 at I think TRU online. Shipping is most likely $15 through.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Why would they keep Gamecube games? The GC games that are well known can be remade for the Wii and charge $30 for. Mario Sports are all going to have "sequels", there is no need for GC games. The Gamecube was a huge disaster for Nintendo, if you like it or not it was a disaster. I'm sure Nintendo wants to forget about it as soon as possible.

And Odama is $20 at I think TRU online. Shipping is most likely $15 through.[/quote]

disaster?? r u serious? did it do what they expected it to do? no, but look at the sales for their first party games... u r crazy to think it was a disaster... the dreamcast now that's a disaster

[quote name='eminemobied12']disaster?? r u serious? did it do what they expected it to do? no, but look at the sales for their first party games... u r crazy to think it was a disaster... the dreamcast now that's a disaster[/quote]

Can you fucking type something that looks like English?

It was a huge HUGE disaster, in 5-6 years the GC was out it sold as many Wiis in Japan in a year.

D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R

[quote name='bigdaddy']Can you fucking type something that looks like English?

It was a huge HUGE disaster, in 5-6 years the GC was out it sold as many Wiis in Japan in a year.

D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R[/quote]

quote from wikipedia

"The GameCube was considered a commercial disappointment compared to previous Nintendo consoles.While the system sold nearly 22 million units during its lifecycle, it lagged far behind the massive installed base of over 120 million Playstation 2 consoles sold. The GameCube also finished its generation slightly behind the Xbox which sold roughly 24 million units before being discontinued."

the difference between 2nd and 3rd place last gen was about 2 million...then would you consider the xbox a total disaster?

if it really was such a disaster, why was there even a follow up. the gamecube should've been the company's deathknell (granted their domination of the portable markets was one of the main factors that kept them afloat).

As for nintendo trying to "forget the gamecube"...I'm pretty sure the internet put it best when they described the wii as just 2 gamecubes stuck together. Hell, with controller ports, full BC, wii games with GC controller options, the only things the wii lacks that the gamecube has is the gameboy player. So if nintendo really wanted us to forget the GC...yeah they're not particularly doing a very good job.

now if you want a nintendo disaster...talk about the virtual boy.

the difference between 2nd and 3rd place last gen was about 2 million...then would you consider the xbox a total disaster?
Problem is, you're comparing the one-time leader in the home console market to a company that was just entering said market. It's the same reason why the PSP is considered a massive hit, despite being destroyed by the DS. It is Sony's first attempt at a handheld, and it has done very well. At the end of the day, the GameCube was a massive failure. The Nintendo 64's destruction at the hands of the PlayStation could at least be attributed to the mistake of using cartridges. There was no excuse for Nintendo getting absolutely blown away again.

if it really was such a disaster, why was there even a follow up. the gamecube should've been the company's deathknell (granted their domination of the portable markets was one of the main factors that kept them afloat).
You're just answered your own question. Nintendo has been very successful in the handheld market.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's hard to compare the 3 because of what they offered. xbox and ps2 had something in common that was quite the attracttion that the gamecube did not offer. dvd playback! when the dvd was introduced, it was an included feature of the ps2 and xbox. since ps2 and xbox both offered the feature, it was an extra bonus for buyers to look at these two options and forget about the other brands that did not offer the feature.

also, remember, the ps2 also offered something the gamecube did not offer, backward compatability. so now you have a system that can play dvd movies, ps1, ps2 and cd music all for 300 [299.99] compared to the gamecube that can only play gamecube games all for 200 [199.99]. so when you compared the two, you lean towards the ps2 as it offers the best bang for your buck. the budget dvd player at the time was about 100-120. so if you took out 300-100, you get 200. and remember that the ps1 was also being sold and was for sale at 100, 200-100, you get 100. so you only paided 100 for a new ps2 system as compared to a gamecube which sold for twice as much.

you don't see this effect with the ps3 because no one really cares for blu-ray and hd. the dvd is a media that is more then adequate for the average consumer as of now. in addition, you have consumers who don't necessarily care about high definition, so the extra spending of a blu-ray player is useless.

what would be a great comparison would be the gamecube and the dreamcast. the dreamcast lived only for two years and you compare the gamecubes sales for two years from release and compare the two systems. if the dreamcast out sold the gamecube, then the gamecube wasn't that successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back