Nintendo's Canceled Portable Console?

foltzie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Seems Nintendo has had near finalized hardware for a new portable console in the past few years and canceled the device, presumably in favor of just the DSi.

CNBC via Joystiq via Engadet

Not surprising, considering the DS and now the DSi is still printing money, but I am curious what the concept included. A different version of the DSi is a possibility since it was reported they had completed prototypes with two DS card slots.

Probably whatever does come out next will incorporate some of the more interesting elements of the one that didn't make it.

[quote name='mis0']I'm not surprised. The DS/DSi is the best selling "console" still.[/QUOTE]

This is very true... Its not clear if the canceled handheld was the two DS card slot DSi, or something more traditional like a single screen, or even a touch more exotic like a disk based handheld.

I'm waiting for the portable Gamecube. There were rumblings about that, but I don't think anything official. The disks are small enough, so it would be cool if you could use your actual GC game disks in the portable (as well as buy new ones).

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'm waiting for the portable Gamecube. There were rumblings about that, but I don't think anything official. The disks are small enough, so it would be cool if you could use your actual GC game disks in the portable (as well as buy new ones).[/QUOTE]

I'd bet any money this is what Nintendo is talking about. This thing was all but finished.

[quote name='Plinko']I'd bet any money this is what Nintendo is talking about. This thing was all but finished.[/QUOTE]

I would like to see or hear something a little more firm on that front.

I could see Nintendo doing some investigative R&D, but any initial use-testing should have highlighted that which is obvious to any PSP owner, disk based drives are too power hungry for a handheld.

Nintendo wouldn't ever do it, but I would like to see the Gamecube portable with an optional disc drive for Gamecube games, and have the new games for that portable be on SD cards or something.

[quote name='foltzie']I would like to see or hear something a little more firm on that front.

I could see Nintendo doing some investigative R&D, but any initial use-testing should have highlighted that which is obvious to any PSP owner, disk based drives are too power hungry for a handheld.[/QUOTE]
IBM may be working on a revised Broadway chip with a lower clock speed for a future Nintendo hand-held — presumably one that plays GameCube discs." SPOnG has had a handle on Nintendo's push towards a portable GameCube player for well over a year now. We are more than pleased such a device is seemingly nearing an official announcement.

Source: Kotaku

IGN apparently posted this and then pulled the post after Nintendo requested them to.

bread's done
Back