Nintendo's next handheld?

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6176307.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2

The latest video game-related patent to turn up at the US patent office shows images of a portable console--looking not unlike an original Game Boy--which detects when it is moved or tilted.
The motion-sensing handheld patent was filed on March 30, (published on the Web site on August 2) and explains the handheld's new controller system, "Simulation refers to game control for analogously representing a change caused in the actual space in a form of a game-space state change, based on at least one of an amount and a direction of a tilt, movement or impact applied to the housing."
It continues, "Game control includes the case of simulation on a state change of the game space itself and the case of simulation of an indirect effect upon another object caused due to a change in state of the game space."

Highly scientific diagram of hitting the machine.
The patent comes with 75 pages of drawings showing how the portable could register movement from left to right, tilt, and some kind of "impact" on the case.
Nintendo's official comment is, "We file hundreds of patents every year--this is just one of them."
---------------

A motion sensitive handheld?

I could see them maybe integrating accelerometers into a handheld for one reason or another, but it's not exactly a feasible method of control. You couldn't see the screen as you're moving it.

Not to mention Mag Kid kinda bombed in Japan, so people weren't too keen on pseudo-motion control on the DS.

Probably it will be nothing. Except maybe a lawsuit sometime in the future when somebody else attempts taking the Wii's success to their own portable.

I'd take Nintendo's PR spiel at face value. Im sure they do file hundreds of patents every year, and hardly any of them see the light of day.

I would love to break into Nintendo's R&D lab tho...

Who the hell wants to be shaking their handheld around in public? If they make this everybody who buys it will look like they're on crack.

[quote name='rickonker']Who the hell wants to be shaking their handheld around in public? If they make this everybody who buys it will look like they're on crack.[/quote]
As part of their blue ocean strategy, they're trying to not only entertain the people playing the games but also the people watching people play games.

[quote name='soonersfan60']In Japan, handhelds are played on the trains, so this would add a detrimental element to any attempt at motion control.[/quote]

I bet you the trains in Japan run as smooth as silk with no bumping or jostling whatsoever. ;)

Many companies use "patent fences" to keep other companies from being able to modify the technology they create then patent it themselves. This is probably a patent that is protecting existing or future technology. My guess is they just want anyone to take a wiimote, slap a screen on it, change the layout of the harware, patent it then sell it.
Plus Nintendo has had this patented in Japan since 1999.

[quote name='Ow3n']Many companies use "patent fences" to keep other companies from being able to modify the technology they create then patent it themselves. This is probably a patent that is protecting existing or future technology. My guess is they just want anyone to take a wiimote, slap a screen on it, change the layout of the harware, patent it then sell it.
Plus Nintendo has had this patented in Japan since 1999.[/quote]

[quote name='spiwak']Probably it will be nothing. Except maybe a lawsuit sometime in the future when somebody else attempts taking the Wii's success to their own portable.[/quote]

Déjà vu?

Yeah, at first it looked nothing more than a gyroscope used in the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance.

I don't think games should (or would in the case of 3rd parties) have to change to accommodate for that much of a change in hardware. Imo, they won't be putting such an emphesis on it as they did with the Wii. I also don't think they'll ditch the touch screen.

[quote name='rlse9']As part of their blue ocean strategy, they're trying to not only entertain the people playing the games but also the people watching people play games.[/quote]

:lol: :applause:

I was NOT expecting a reference to the blue ocean strategy on CAG.

bread's done
Back