Nioh $19.99 ($15.99 w/GCU) @ Best Buy

[quote name="MPoWeRM3" post="13883862" timestamp="1511211837"]The Last Guardian was a random one too. They need to do one more to complete the randomness... Gravity Rush 2.

Maybe even Knack 2 to complete all the games Sony published this year. I know it's $20 over at Gamestop but would like it more at BB. ;)[/quote

Knack 2 is currently $20 at Best Buy
Just looked, it's $40.

Is the real game easier than the demo? That demo was hard as a mother f-ker.
They did drop the difficulty in the full game as opposed to the demos, especially the alpha. I don't know how much has changed since I platinumed the game when it first came out but there were some pretty strong builds that made the game a lot more manageable. I'd still say stay away if you hate the Souls games' mechanics though. It's an awesome game if you can handle some challenge and #2 behind Breath of the Wild for my GOTY at the moment.

They did drop the difficulty in the full game as opposed to the demos, especially the alpha. I don't know how much has changed since I platinumed the game when it first came out but there were some pretty strong builds that made the game a lot more manageable. I'd still say stay away if you hate the Souls games' mechanics though. It's an awesome game if you can handle some challenge and #2 behind Breath of the Wild for my GOTY at the moment.
Yeah, I'll probably still stay away. I'm not a Souls guy. I was just interested in this since I enjoyed the Ninja Gaiden games but those have very different mechanics.

My GCU discount stacked on Nioh, but after ordering, GCU discount isn't showing up on any other item.  Is that a glitch or intentional?

EDIT:  So Nioh was the special case?  It would have been great if they all were GCU discounted!  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's why I'm not interested in this game. Just don't have that kind of time anymore. Wish it had a super easy​ mode. Looks cool tho.
Why not just save yourself money and watch let’s plays if you just want to blow through a game on the easiest setting?

Why not just save yourself money and watch let’s plays if you just want to blow through a game on the easiest setting?
I'm the same way. Easiest setting all day every day. However the idea of watching someone else play makes my head explode. Seriously, in this day and age where apparently that's all the rage I can honestly say that other than what gets shown during a video review, I have never spent a second watching someone else play any game ever.

Playing a game at even the easiest setting is still a more involved and rewarding experience than simply watching someone else do it.

I already bought this game digitally on PS4 and just recently on PC so I don't need this deal.

But I can say that Nioh is easily one of the best games of the year, so $20 ($16 GCU) is definitely a steal for the game.
which version do you like better? The PC port isn't very good is it?

Yeah, I'll probably still stay away. I'm not a Souls guy. I was just interested in this since I enjoyed the Ninja Gaiden games but those have very different mechanics.
Yeah, the Gaiden games under Itagaki and the Souls games are two very different titles. I like the Gaiden games, but even those I lack the patience now to play. I can easily imagine how quickly turned off I'd be by games like Nioh, Bloodborne, or the Souls series.

The PC port is exactly as PS4 version, well except for 4K resolution if you got the hardware. Other than that, it's equal and same stability. Can't go wrong with either.

Yeah, the Gaiden games under Itagaki and the Souls games are two very different titles. I like the Gaiden games, but even those I lack the patience now to play. I can easily imagine how quickly turned off I'd be by games like Nioh, Bloodborne, or the Souls series.
Gaiden = offense oriented

Souls/Borne/Nioh = defense oriented

Both are great in their own terms.

Yes, the Alpha demo was pretty brutal, but I think it was because you were not used to it more than anything. It was quite different even for Souls/Borne players. It took me quite a bit too to beat it but when the final game came, it wasn't that bad since I've already accustomed to the mechanics in the demo.

Really hoping I feel the same regarding 2nd place behind the AMAZING breath of the wild. Just started Nioh and so far so good. Thanks OP for the heads up:)

Really hoping I feel the same regarding 2nd place behind the AMAZING breath of the wild. Just started Nioh and so far so good. Thanks OP for the heads up:)
It's a quality game, but I got really tired of the flat level design late in the game. I've played every Souls/Bloodborne game, so the thing that really set this game back was the lack of dynamic environments.

$20 is a steal for the amount of content here. I should go back and finish it some time.

Me too and it was totally worth it. Amazing games and got to support the devs!

Platinum'd both games. ~200 hours in Yakuza 0 and ~900 hours (and counting) in Nioh
900 AMERICAN?

as in only 100 hours less than a THOUSAND??

FUDGE.... Maybe I should not buy this game then.

I took me like 2yrs to beat Far Cry 3 and had about 90hrs into it.

ThAT GAME ALONE is the one reason why I have a 90+ PS3 Back catalog..

I have even less time for games now.. avg of about 2hrs p/week on a good week..

decisions, decisions..

THOUGHTS?

oNe

I'm the same way. Easiest setting all day every day. However the idea of watching someone else play makes my head explode. Seriously, in this day and age where apparently that's all the rage I can honestly say that other than what gets shown during a video review, I have never spent a second watching someone else play any game ever.

Playing a game at even the easiest setting is still a more involved and rewarding experience than simply watching someone else do it.
I guess if you have an extremely low tolerance for feeling rewarded.

900 AMERICAN?

as in only 100 hours less than a THOUSAND??

FUDGE.... Maybe I should not buy this game then.

I took me like 2yrs to beat Far Cry 3 and had about 90hrs into it.

ThAT GAME ALONE is the one reason why I have a 90+ PS3 Back catalog..

I have even less time for games now.. avg of about 2hrs p/week on a good week..

decisions, decisions..

THOUGHTS?

oNe
I checked my system history and I overestimated. 696 hours, but that does include at least a hundred or so hours of me passing out with the game still playing.

The game can be as long as you want it to be - you don't HAVE to keep playing up to NG++++ xD

The main game can be beaten in well under 40 hours

I just love the game. I love Dark Souls-esque games, I love Ninja Gaiden, and I love RNG loot systems a la Diablo. And I have been playing the hell out of the co-op with friends

It's good shit and for that price it's a steal

I guess if you have an extremely low tolerance for feeling rewarded.
With being married, having two children under 10, and a full-time job, it's more about having an extremely low amount of spare time to fight through games that are overly difficult just because. I have respect for those that enjoy them though but my ship has sailed on those types of games for the foreseeable future.

I checked my system history and I overestimated. 696 hours, but that does include at least a hundred or so hours of me passing out with the game still playing.

The game can be as long as you want it to be - you don't HAVE to keep playing up to NG++++ xD

The main game can be beaten in well under 40 hours

I just love the game. I love Dark Souls-esque games, I love Ninja Gaiden, and I love RNG loot systems a la Diablo. And I have been playing the hell out of the co-op with friends

It's good shit and for that price it's a steal
SOLD!!!!!!!

buying it when I get home!

** even tho I'm basically Chriscolbert but 4 kids and all under 7.. 13month is the youngest and he keeps me busy and has tripled the grey hairs on my dome piece....

oNe

Honestly the PC port is fine. It's not the best PC port I've seen (there's hardly any real graphical options compared to better PC ports), but on my rig I've been able to run it at the highest settings with a solid 60FPS (my PC setup includes an i7-6700k, GTX 1070, 16GB DDR4). I do feel like it looks a bit better than the PS4 version and since it's loaded on my SSD it loads pretty quick compared to the PS4 version (outside of the 20 seconds or so it takes to load up the opening splash screens).

So between the two I probably prefer the PC version a little more.

Interesting..... my copy of Nioh that I ordered with Last Guardian on Tuesday showed up faster than all my early access BF stuff (which is coming in today)   :whistle2:k

This is one of my top 3 games of the year. It's heavily, heavily dark souls inspired. But it also adds other elements and drenched in Japanese Shinto mythology and Sengoku period Japanese history. This price is beyond a no brainer.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

:/ I wonder if this is gonna show up on cyber Monday even cheaper. Bestbuy does stuff like that. Makes you feel salty cuz you didn't wait 4 days.

:/ I wonder if this is gonna show up on cyber Monday even cheaper. Bestbuy does stuff like that. Makes you feel salty cuz you didn't wait 4 days.
I was surprised it has been sold out yet after a few days (the other KOEI games that were sold out soon when they hit $20 though some back in stock)

If they lowered the price on cyber Monday, it would just create trouble for them. Many people and at least me will for sure just buy again and return the previous order (the extended period should be till Jan).

I love the dark souls and ninja gaiden games and have beaten several of them (glutten for punishment?). As such I bought Nioh simply based on the comparisons and a 2 minute trailer. $16 seemed like a good deal for the hours of enjoyment (torture?) I'll likely get out of it.

Advice for new players to dark souls/BB, watch a few youtube videos on how to easily level your character in the early game. Spend a few hours just getting to about level 20. You'll still die (a lot), but it makes progression much easier and less painful when you stand a chance of taking a hit or two. If you don't like spoilers, just grind the first 20 levels near a fire.

Quick update guys: NIOH IS fuckING AMAZING

As a guy who has hated every Souls game after Demon's Souls (yet keeps buying them) I came into Nioh expecting the worst. I think the best way to explain this is by saying that when I die in a Dark Souls game I felt like it was the game just being pure nonsense. When I die in Nioh it's always because I fuck up.

TLDR; BUY THIS GAME

This game has been discounted for longer than I thought it would last.  I seriously wonder if they will eventually put out a physical complete edition.  Is the DLC fleshed out well or is it pretty much skip-able as a fan of the game?  Anyone with experience?

This game has been discounted for longer than I thought it would last. I seriously wonder if they will eventually put out a physical complete edition. Is the DLC fleshed out well or is it pretty much skip-able as a fan of the game? Anyone with experience?
I haven't played the DLC levels yet but enjoying the new weapons it came with.

bread's done
Back