No Available Nodes Error?

Just got one at 12:53 pm EST.

Site has been sluggish as well.

Edit. Got two more at 1:01 and 1:02 when submitting a reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
John can give a more in-depth answer, but its my understanding that we didn't have a great kernel installed on the DB server.

Here's the stats on the new DB server that will work in conjunction with the two webservers.

Dual Xeon E5520 Quad Core (Gainstown)
8GB DDR RAM
4 x 32GB Intel Solid State Drives / Hardware Raid 10

If that was the problem, why not just back it up and install a better database system rather than replace the whole thing?

(Unless CAG needed the new server anyways, of course.)

[quote name='Liquid 2']If that was the problem, why not just back it up and install a better database system rather than replace the whole thing?

(Unless CAG needed the new server anyways, of course.)[/QUOTE]

A few reasons:
- Less downtime (considering we'd need have needed a complete OS reload anyway).
- The old db server was two years old, so we're getting a lot more performance now out of the new hardware for the same money.
- It's a good opportunity for us to upgrade to SSDs, which suit our purposes perfectly.

New server now in, but we're still tweaking. (If you got a node error in the past 10 minutes, that was my fault.)

I've noticed a change in the speed of the site just for the transition to the new DB servers and the SSD's.

The RAM upgrade should be another step up in speed.

RAM upgrade complete. I'll be doing some tweaking over the next few days, but we should be fast and reliable from now on.

Edit: Scratch that, we're going to have some more downtime shortly to replace some faulty hardware. (Hooray.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Scorch']Just happened again. Lasted about 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, our new database server has faulty hardware. The fun never ends...

My UserCP is giving me a database error, though I was able to use an open thread to get here easily so it's just the UserCP. It's been doing it for about five minutes now and continues to do it, so I'll update when it's back.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']My UserCP is giving me a database error, though I was able to use an open thread to get here easily so it's just the UserCP. It's been doing it for about five minutes now and continues to do it, so I'll update when it's back.[/QUOTE]

Same.

[quote name='Demontooth']The site is still slow to load.[/QUOTE]

The new database server had hardware issues and had to be taken down, so we're back on the old setup until the hosting company fixes it.

[quote name='darthbudge']I just got the nodes error and then a database error.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it was a database restart. Nothing to worry about.

There will be node errors from now until we get the new database server back online - I'll let everyone know when that is.

Ok, the new server is online and I've been making tweaks throughout the afternoon. Node errors should be rarer from now on.

While it hasn't been running long enough for me to call it stable, it seems that we're over the bulk of the issues we've been having with the new database hardware.

I was just trying to access a thread in the PS3 forum. The second time, I was trying to open this thread.

Work in the ModCP panel, as well as mod functions like "Delete Posts As Spam" are making No available node errors. Had 2 or 3 of them in the last 5-10 minutes.

[quote name='shrike4242']Work in the ModCP panel, as well as mod functions like "Delete Posts As Spam" are making No available node errors. Had 2 or 3 of them in the last 5-10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

The load balancer outputs the nodes error, and we don't use the load balancer anymore - so I'm not sure how it's even possible for you to be having that problem. Could you do me a favour and ping www.cheapassgamer.com, and let me know what IP the domain name resolves to?

Is anyone else also getting "CAG down for maintenance"? Happened to me about 3 times in the last week or so. Not sure if it's related.

[quote name='Ronzilla']Is anyone else also getting "CAG down for maintenance"? Happened to me about 3 times in the last week or so. Not sure if it's related.[/QUOTE]

It only happens when CAG is down for maintenance.

[quote name='John']It only happens when CAG is down for maintenance.[/QUOTE]

That many times in 1 week? Is CAG at maximum capacity or something?

[quote name='Ronzilla']That many times in 1 week?[/QUOTE]

About 5 times over the past week. We're over the worst of it now, though.

[quote name='John']The load balancer outputs the nodes error, and we don't use the load balancer anymore - so I'm not sure how it's even possible for you to be having that problem. Could you do me a favour and ping www.cheapassgamer.com, and let me know what IP the domain name resolves to?[/QUOTE]Comes up as lb.cheapassgamer.com and IP address of 209.59.169.33 .

Flushing out my DNS cache didn't change the above values.

bread's done
Back