No Internet!

tayaf69

CAGiversary!
I am moving off to my college apartment today and my roomates and I had gotten rid of comcast in May, so I will be without Internet and Cable TV. I think I with die, but HOPEFULLY will go and buy a wireless PCI card so I can latch on to a fellow apartmenter (?sp???). Anyways, do any of you do this and what speed card should I get. Even If I did get comcast, they would not be out till later next week. I am dead serious, I NEED THE INTERNET! SOS

seriously, I'm no computer expert, but I was hoping some people here might know about Wireless connections. Would it be possible to connect to my school? I am right across the street. Thanks in advance.

The speed doesn't matter; any broadband connection is still slower than the slowest wifi. And as far as leeching off the school, that's entirely up in the air, you would have to try yourself.

There is no guarantee that you will even be able to connect to someone else, it depends on where their wireless router is... they might not even have a wireless router for u to leech off of, its not exactly an idea i would suggest but im not here to be the moral voice, u just asked for information on wifi

Connecting to another person's wireless network without their knowledge is a felony in most parts of the country, or at least a misdemeanor. I'd recommend not being that cheap, unless you can deal with some jail time.

Go spend some cheap money on dial-up or use the Internet in a free WiFi area, if you have a laptop. If you have a desktop, then you have a problem. If your school provides WiFi across the campus, it probably won't reach your apartment, if you're off-campus. It might, though don't count on it.

Someone called my name? Hehe.

Yah leeching someone else's wireless internet is punishable by law, don't try this at home, or at someone else's home. Go to the school computer lab or something, or go to a friend's apartment that has internet.

As for the wireless card, get something that is 802.11b/g compatible. No need to spend extra money on a a/b/g card since 802.11a is almost obsolete. Or you can get an USB wireless adapter also, it doesnt have to be a PCI card. I'm on a USB wireless G adapter right now, works wonder.

[quote name='Scorch']You coming to MTSU?[/QUOTE]
ya, MTSU! I'm in Nottingham aparments and that is RIGHT next to school. MTSU offers a free connection to everywhere on campus, but Im worried I am too far from the connection zone.

[quote name='shrike4242']Connecting to another person's wireless network without their knowledge is a felony in most parts of the country, or at least a misdemeanor. I'd recommend not being that cheap, unless you can deal with some jail time.

Go spend some cheap money on dial-up or use the Internet in a free WiFi area, if you have a laptop. If you have a desktop, then you have a problem. If your school provides WiFi across the campus, it probably won't reach your apartment, if you're off-campus. It might, though don't count on it.[/QUOTE]
No, I wouldn't illegally connect to someone. I have a bunch of friends at the apartment and they leached off of me last year, and I'm assuming they would let me do the same assuming they have aquired their internet access.

Anyways, what's the major difference between G and B cards? Also, 54 MPS and 108 MPS? Do I need the larger one to have a chance of accessing my school? The map of my school's wireless internet ends at the parking lot and my apartment is right next to that parkinglot. I assume it could work if the connection were strong enough.

I have two roomates who also are wanting to try the wireless approach, but we will get comcast if we have to.

[quote name='Epic Wolf']dont you need the WEP key to leach off private wireless connections ?[/QUOTE]
You'd be surprised at how many people just run their wireless networks with no encryption.

Sometimes simply 'sharing' a wireless connection, even with the account owner's permission, is against the ISP's ToS. If a friend of mine comes to my house and plugs his laptop or PS2 into my router, that's fine, but I can't run a cable from my router out to his house.
Plus, of course, you're dependent on their connection.

I'm at school now using their computers, but we tried the wireless thing and couldn't connect to the school so we just ordered Comcast. We got a deal for $25.00 a month (divided by three isn't too bad). They won't be out till the 14th though.........

bread's done
Back