No Man's Sky (PS4) $9.97 "New" at Gamestop

I have a new policy that states that I have to play a game right away if I buy it, so I played No Man's Sky last night for about 10 minutes.  I have to admit that I died within the first few minutes because of something that I was forced to do in the tutorial (no spoilers), so that put me off right away.  Strike one.

Morphite is one of my favorite games from last year, and it is a clone of No Man's Sky that's more focused on exploration than survival.  It was converted from mobile to console, but I enjoyed just traveling from one planet to the next to see what plants and wildlife I would encounter.  No Man's Sky allows you to do this too, but I found the control scheme and resource gathering to be way too convoluted.  I play games to relax these days and don't really give a damn about games that have a "perma-death" aspect, so I rage-quit No Man's Sky after a short while. 

Since we have snow falling outside today, I will give it another go, but I'm not convinced yet that it's a good game.  Perhaps it's a slow cooker.

The tutorial is annoying for sure. Once you get off the start planet it does get better.

And just a little heads up to people starting the game for the first time. Although everything is randomized, the start planet will always be this way. It can be a different climate etc, but it will always have the same scenario.

And a little hint. Getting in your ship will recharge your suit.. much less resources are needed. Stay near your ship and enter as needed. Also underground or in a building helps.
And yes sometimes that one item you need spawns 36 miles away, and other times 50 feet from your ship.

Not to mention unless he selected to play a permadeath game that isn't a thing. When I die in NMS I pop up with maybe 2-3 minutes of travel time to recover my resources and move on.

Not to mention unless he selected to play a permadeath game that isn't a thing. When I die in NMS I pop up with maybe 2-3 minutes of travel time to recover my resources and move on.
Yeah, I saw that there was a permadeath option. I tried that one first, and then the normal mode, and I still died too quickly for my tastes. But again, I play games to relax, so dying in the tutorial even on normal mode was a pain in the ass. I think that playing Morphite for much of last year spoiled me. It's the kind of game that you can just drop in and out off, fly to a planet, check out what it's like, and pop back into your ship if you want to check out another one. It's also pretty difficult to die in that one even during the boss fights if you're prepared. But, I'm willing to try No Man's Sky again today. Some games are great right away, and there are others that will click with you after giving them a bit of time.

Yeah, I saw that there was a permadeath option. I tried that one first, and then the normal mode, and I still died too quickly for my tastes. But again, I play games to relax, so dying in the tutorial even on normal mode was a pain in the ass. I think that playing Morphite for much of last year spoiled me. It's the kind of game that you can just drop in and out off, fly to a planet, check out what it's like, and pop back into your ship if you want to check out another one. It's also pretty difficult to die in that one even during the boss fights if you're prepared. But, I'm willing to try No Man's Sky again today. Some games are great right away, and there are others that will click with you after giving them a bit of time.
I think what happened to you happened to most of us initially, once you play an hour or two and just have the basics down, you'll realize all of the life support systems and suit can be charged with materials you can always find anywhere, carbon you harvest plants and trees, ferrite dust is the rocks, and oxygen is plants and sometimes trees. Once you get the basics down it becomes a much more chill exploration type title.

I just started playing the game for the first time yesterday and had a blast. 6 hours in, hadn't left the planet yet, and had to put it down only because I had work last night and needed to catch some sleep. I've played crafting games and survival games but never have I played anything that made me want to explore as much as this.

bread's done
Back