No Need for Wii HD?

tinman_licks

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Agree or Disagree?

Seems like Wii has won this console generation without HD. I read in a report that said only 33% of households have HDTVs. Seems to be a valid argument that the majority of consumers just aren't ready for HD. And when the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles hit during 2005-2006, the Wii won this generation's console wars because it didn't have HD and kept prices affordable. If that's the case, looks like Wii HD won't be coming for a looong time. Just not needed right now, imo.

It's probably not necessary, but it could use an upgrade. New Super Mario Bros. Wii doesn't have an online mode. A stronger system would have been able to get that game online.

Not sure why I can't vote but for one I'm not impressed with HD. The Wii and the rest of my 30 consoles are fine without it. Even the PS3 doesn't absolutely need it. It's an unnecessary expense unless you watch movies or sports (which I don't).

Nin made the right decision even if they release a new one just for the graphics whores. I just want good games.

There is indeed a very valid argument that the average gamer is likely to have their game system hooked up to a smaller TV, thus negating any HD benefit even if it happens to be a HD model.

Still, I assume that Nintendo's next console, whatever it may end up being, will support at least 720P, so long as the processing power needed has been successfully shrank in order to meet Nintendo's stringent power and size limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like the DSi Nintendo will release an HD system before 2012 to "encourage" current Wii owners the benefits of upgrading to HD. The masses will lap it up while Microsoft and Sony laugh at them catching up and then quickly cry as their sales go down.

Nintendo didn't get where they are by caring about graphical fidelity, so I can't imagine they will in the future - unless there's a big shift in what their audience finds important. (Which I don't see happening.)

[quote name='DPsx7']Not sure why I can't vote but for one I'm not impressed with HD. The Wii and the rest of my 30 consoles are fine without it. Even the PS3 doesn't absolutely need it. It's an unnecessary expense unless you watch movies or sports (which I don't).

Nin made the right decision even if they release a new one just for the graphics whores. I just want good games.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying the PS3 doesn't really need HD... lol

[quote name='DestroVega']So you're saying the PS3 doesn't really need HD... lol[/QUOTE]

I think that he meant, even though it is HD capable, if you have a standard def TV, the graphics still look beautiful.

I had my 360 hooked up to a SDTV for the longest time and I thought it looked awesome. Of course, I did get an HDTV and the clarity is insane. But if there came a time when I needed to play the console on a SDTV, I wouldn't mind it.

I really can't see Nintendo releasing an HD Wii, they own the market right now, they can still milk a lot more money out of the Wii.

I wonder though, if they did release an HD Wii if they could somehow make it so the HD games still played on an original Wii, downgraded of course, kind of like the Burger King games that played in the original XBOX and the 360. That would be the only way to not splinter the market, so that no matter which Wii system you have, you can buy any Wii game for it.

[quote name='msdmoney']I really can't see Nintendo releasing an HD Wii, they own the market right now, they can still milk a lot more money out of the Wii.

I wonder though, if they did release an HD Wii if they could somehow make it so the HD games still played on an original Wii, downgraded of course, kind of like the Burger King games that played in the original XBOX and the 360. That would be the only way to not splinter the market, so that no matter which Wii system you have, you can buy any Wii game for it.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has done this twice in the handheld market with the Gameboy to Gameboy Color transition and the Nintendo DS to DSi transition.

Arguably, Nintendo did this with the Gamecube to Wii transition. The Wiimote tech was ran through the memory card slots of the GCN dev units originally.

[quote name='tinman_licks']Agree or Disagree?

Seems like Wii has won this console generation without HD. I read in a report that said only 33% of households have HDTVs. Seems to be a valid argument that the majority of consumers just aren't ready for HD. And when the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles hit during 2005-2006, the Wii won this generation's console wars because it didn't have HD and kept prices affordable. If that's the case, looks like Wii HD won't be coming for a looong time. Just not needed right now, imo.[/QUOTE]
I'd like to see the majority of gaming households that have HDTVs. I bet the percentage is much higher than 33%.

[quote name='foltzie']NinteThe Wiimote tech was ran through the memory card slots of the GCN dev units originally.[/QUOTE]

Interesting ! Maybe that's why there's a problem with the larger (white) memory cards getting erased...

I hope they do not because Nintendo still has not released some games from other franchises they own on the Wii yet. It would be stupid to make a Wii HD without using the Wii to its full potential. Also most people who buy the Wii do not care if it is in HD.

[quote name='fridge']I hope they do not because Nintendo still has not released some games from other franchises they own on the Wii yet. It would be stupid to make a Wii HD without using the Wii to its full potential. Also most people who buy the Wii do not care if it is in HD.[/QUOTE]

Oh the hypothetical stuff in this thread has to assume at least a new console is a few years off. The Wii has even been out for three years and has only recently started to reach anything of a sales equilibrium.

When the next gen hits, they could always do what Sony is doing. Support the PS2 and PS3. It would be smart for them to milk this Wii shit out as long as they can (business wise, of course), but I do hope the next console is a bit more...ugh, "hardcore". This way, the gamers have something and the moms have something to play.

They supported the GBA and the DS for awhile, so I see why they couldn't do that next time around.

I think a Wii hd may make sense, while they may want to milk the wii now they also have to look to the future. Nintendo is alienating the traditional gamer, and there is no guarantee that all those people who bought a wii this gen will see the need to buy a wii 2 and rebuy all their accessories.
So a wii HD to recapture traditional gamers may make sense. Of course the would also need an x-box live type system, internal storage, headsets, WM+ or better standard on new wii motes, and a line up of new good that take advantage of motion control, well hyped games, playable at kiosks and ready for the release.

bread's done
Back