"No Spin Zone" poorly named, study shows

dennis_t

CAGiversary!
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/5535.html

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Bill O'Reilly may proclaim at the beginning of his program that viewers are entering the "No Spin Zone," but a new study by Indiana University media researchers found that the Fox News personality consistently paints certain people and groups as villains and others as victims to present the world, as he sees it, through political rhetoric.

The IU researchers found that O'Reilly called a person or a group a derogatory name once every 6.8 seconds, on average, or nearly nine times every minute during the editorials that open his program each night.

"It's obvious he's very big into calling people names, and he's very big into glittering generalities," said Mike Conway, assistant professor in the IU School of Journalism. "He's not very subtle. He's going to call people names, or he's going to paint something in a positive way, often without any real evidence to support that viewpoint."

Using analysis techniques first developed in the 1930s by the Institute for Propaganda Analysis, Conway, Grabe and Grieves found that O'Reilly employed six of the seven propaganda devices nearly 13 times each minute in his editorials. His editorials also are presented on his Web site and in his newspaper columns.

The seven propaganda devices include:

* Name calling -- giving something a bad label to make the audience reject it without examining the evidence;
* Glittering generalities -- the opposite of name calling;
* Card stacking -- the selective use of facts and half-truths;
* Bandwagon -- appeals to the desire, common to most of us, to follow the crowd;
* Plain folks -- an attempt to convince an audience that they, and their ideas, are "of the people";
* Transfer -- carries over the authority, sanction and prestige of something we respect or dispute to something the speaker would want us to accept; and
* Testimonials -- involving a respected (or disrespected) person endorsing or rejecting an idea or person.

The same techniques were used during the late 1930s to study another prominent voice in a war-era, Father Charles Coughlin. His sermons evolved into a darker message of anti-Semitism and fascism, and he became a defender of Hitler and Mussolini. In this study, O'Reilly is a heavier and less-nuanced user of the propaganda devices than Coughlin.

Among the findings:

* Fear was used in more than half (52.4 percent) of the commentaries, and O'Reilly almost never offered a resolution to the threat. For example, in a commentary on "left-wing" media unfairly criticizing Attorney Gen. Alberto Gonzales for his role in the Abu Ghraib scandal, O'Reilly considered this an example of America "slowly losing freedom and core values," and added, "So what can be done? Unfortunately, not much."
* The researchers identified 22 groups of people that O'Reilly referenced in his commentaries, and while all 22 were described by O'Reilly as bad at some point, the people and groups most frequently labeled bad were the political left -- Americans as a group and the media (except those media considered by O'Reilly to be on the right).
* Left-leaning media (21.6 percent) made up the largest portion of bad people/groups, and media without a clear political leaning was the second largest (12.2 percent). When it came to evil people and groups, illegal aliens (26.8 percent) and terrorists (21.4 percent) were the largest groups.
* O'Reilly never presented the political left, politicians/government officials not associated with a political party, left-leaning media, illegal aliens, criminals and terrorists as victims. "Thus, politicians and media, particularly of the left-leaning persuasion, are in the company of illegal aliens, criminals, terrorists -- never vulnerable to villainous forces and undeserving of empathy," the authors concluded.
* According to O'Reilly, victims are those who were unfairly judged (40.5 percent), hurt physically (25.3 percent), undermined when they should be supported (20.3 percent) and hurt by moral violations of others (10.1 percent). Americans, the U.S. military and the Bush administration were the top victims in the data set, accounting for 68.3 percent of all victims.
* One of O'Reilly's common responses to charges of bias is to come up with one or two examples of "proof" that he is fair to all groups. For example, in October 2005, Dallas Morning News columnist Macarena Hernandez accused O'Reilly of treating the southern border "as the birth of all American ills." O'Reilly responded by showing a video clip in which he had called Mexican workers "good people." He called for a boycott of the newspaper if it did not retract Hernandez' column.

Why didn't u mention that George Leftist Soros supports the IU ah you managed to forget to write other facts then the stuff you want people to know. Quite crafty & so is that orgz.

"Last week we told you how far left billionaire George Soros' propaganda machine works its way through the Internet and into the mainstream media. Soros and his gang were furious with that exposition, so we knew blowback was coming. Thus the Indiana-Media Matters nonsense. By the way, did you know that Soros' 'Open Society Institute' donated $5 million to Indiana University? I'm sure that was just a coincidence. Finally, let's add up the 'name calling' tonight. There was 'humble correspondent,' 'smear site,' and four others. That's only six examples in three minutes, far below my average. I must be slipping." From Oreilly Website.

[quote name='ttriber']Why didn't u mention that George Leftist Soros supports the IU ah you managed to forget to write other facts then the stuff you want people to know. Quite crafty & so is that orgz.

"Last week we told you how far left billionaire George Soros' propaganda machine works its way through the Internet and into the mainstream media. Soros and his gang were furious with that exposition, so we knew blowback was coming. Thus the Indiana-Media Matters nonsense. By the way, did you know that Soros' 'Open Society Institute' donated $5 million to Indiana University? I'm sure that was just a coincidence. Finally, let's add up the 'name calling' tonight. There was 'humble correspondent,' 'smear site,' and four others. That's only six examples in three minutes, far below my average. I must be slipping." From Oreilly Website.[/QUOTE]

Ladies and gentleman, the average Bill O'Reilly fan. An illiterate jackass who can't get his fucking facts straight:

O'Reilly's self-proclaimed "exposition" was the utterly false claim that Media Matters received money from Soros. After Media Matters noted that Soros had never given the organization money, O'Reilly claimed that Soros funneled money to Media Matters through the Tides Foundation. As Media Matters documented, on the April 26 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly accused Media Matters of lying about its funding and noted that Tides donated over $1 million to Media Matters in 2005, "[a]nd just by coincidence Soros' Open Society Institute [OSI] donated more than a million dollars to Tides in 2005." He then added: "Figure it out." But O'Reilly's conclusion that Soros donated $1 million to Media Matters through the Tides Foundation is false. OSI's donations to Tides were earmarked for several specific programs, and Media Matters was not included on this list. O'Reilly's reference on May 3 to Media Matters as "the smear Internet site partly funded by enterprises connected to George Soros" represents a complete -- though unacknowledged -- abandonment of his previous claim that Media Matters has received money from Soros. While O'Reilly made that claim, however, on-screen text described Media Matters as "party [sic] funded by George Soros."

O'Reilly purported to complete the Soros-Indiana-Media Matters connection with the following: "By the way, did you know that Soros' Open Society Institute [OSI] donated $5 million to Indiana University? I'm sure that was just a coincidence," suggesting that the study was the result of the donation. O'Reilly is presumably referring to a $5 million donation by the OSI to the school in 2005; in fact, that donation was directed to establish an endowment for the American University of Central Asia in Kyrgyzstan, with the U.S. Agency for International Development providing another $10 million. OSI has partnered with IU in other ventures, such as higher education curriculum development in Azerbaijan, preparing Burmese refugees for college, and a degree program for teaching second languages in Kazakhstan.

Further, according to the IU press release on the O'Reilly study, "The researchers received no grant funding for this study."

So the link that O'Reilly was purporting to expose amounts to the following: Soros gave Indiana University $5 million for a project in Kyrgyzstan; researchers in IU's journalism and communications departments produced a study on O'Reilly that has no connection to Kyrgyzstan and received no grant money; and Media Matters learned of the study through the means by which presumably everyone else did -- a press release.

You should just leave the forum now before you embarass yourself further.

I think it's funny that IU has to do a study (and presumably spend money) to prove what most of America already knows.

It's always been a "My spin zone." Just like "The View" is really "Rosie's View." For a bit longer, anyway.

[quote name='Iron Clad Burrito']I think it's funny that IU has to do a study (and presumably spend money) to prove what most of America already knows.

It's always been a "My spin zone." Just like "The View" is really "Rosie's View." For a bit longer, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm sure there were much bette ways to spend $5 million dollars than proving something everyone knows, especially in a biased study like that. At least do a comparative study looking at commentators on both sides of the politcal spectrum. I'm sure Al Franken wouldn't be too far off as well. That's just a nature of politcal talk shows. And those seven propganda points all used by all politcal commentators conservative and liberal and by a lot of people on this board I might add (evanft's post for example).

[quote name='dopa345']Agreed. I'm sure there were much bette ways to spend $5 million dollars than proving something everyone knows, especially in a biased study like that. [/QUOTE]

:roll:

Where did you get the information that the study cost $5 million? It's nowhere in the article. The only place there's a $5 million figure quoted is this part of the Media Matters article:

O'Reilly purported to complete the Soros-Indiana-Media Matters connection with the following: "By the way, did you know that Soros' Open Society Institute [OSI] donated $5 million to Indiana University? I'm sure that was just a coincidence," suggesting that the study was the result of the donation. O'Reilly is presumably referring to a $5 million donation by the OSI to the school in 2005; in fact, that donation was directed to establish an endowment for the American University of Central Asia in Kyrgyzstan, with the U.S. Agency for International Development providing another $10 million. OSI has partnered with IU in other ventures, such as higher education curriculum development in Azerbaijan, preparing Burmese refugees for college, and a degree program for teaching second languages in Kazakhstan.

Of course, it clearly shows that the $5 million went to the school 2 years ago and was part of something completely unrelated to this.

Also, how the hell is the study biased? Is the methodology wrong? Did they count things they shouldn't have? If you're going to make a claim about something, you really should try to make some sort of prima facie argument about its validity and have evidence to back it up instead of just spewing bullshit.

[quote name='dopa345']At least do a comparative study looking at commentators on both sides of the politcal spectrum. I'm sure Al Franken wouldn't be too far off as well. [/QUOTE]

Al Franken doesn't represent himself as a fair and balanced journalist who just happens to have an opinion. Furthermore, the number of liberal commentators on TV can be counted on 1 hand. Shit, they counted on one finger, Keith Olbermann. And comparing him to Bill O'Reilly is something only someone who is in complete denial about reality and doesn't have the capacity to discern facts from spin would do.

[quote name='dopa345']That's just a nature of politcal talk shows. And those seven propganda points all used by all politcal commentators conservative and liberal and by a lot of people on this board I might add (evanft's post for example).[/QUOTE]

I called that one guy a jackass because he is. He clearly got his facts wrong and his post looks like it was typed by a retarded one-armed lemur.

[quote name='dopa345']Agreed. I'm sure there were much bette ways to spend $5 million dollars than proving something everyone knows, especially in a biased study like that. At least do a comparative study looking at commentators on both sides of the politcal spectrum. I'm sure Al Franken wouldn't be too far off as well. That's just a nature of politcal talk shows. And those seven propganda points all used by all politcal commentators conservative and liberal and by a lot of people on this board I might add (evanft's post for example).[/QUOTE]

Well, like evanft pointed out, O'Reilly doesn't present himself as a conservative, he self-identifies as an "independent." He likes to tell the viewer that he's a middle-of-the-road American who isn't a shill for either political party. That's the great absurdity of O'Reilly; while it's plain that he wears his ideologies on his sleeve, just like Al Franken, the difference is that O'Reilly will deny, to the death, that he even *possesses* those ideologies.

As for $5 million on that study, don't bet the farm on it. I bet if I hunt down the article (if it's published), there will be no grant behind it, and it'll be little more than some content analysis of maybe 20-30 hours of O'Reilly's show. I'm not a fan of content analysis being treated as rigorous scientific methodology.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, like evanft pointed out, O'Reilly doesn't present himself as a conservative, he self-identifies as an "independent." He likes to tell the viewer that he's a middle-of-the-road American who isn't a shill for either political party. That's the great absurdity of O'Reilly; while it's plain that he wears his ideologies on his sleeve, just like Al Franken, the difference is that O'Reilly will deny, to the death, that he even *possesses* those ideologies.

As for $5 million on that study, don't bet the farm on it. I bet if I hunt down the article (if it's published), there will be no grant behind it, and it'll be little more than some content analysis of maybe 20-30 hours of O'Reilly's show. I'm not a fan of content analysis being treated as rigorous scientific methodology.[/QUOTE]

Here ya go.

bread's done
Back