No WPA support?

spiwak

CAGiversary!
I don't mean to bitch, but why doesn't niwifi support WPA? At my house we have WEP and it works fine there but when I'm at school (meaning, different residence for college), I can't connect because it appears Nintendo doesn't "support" WPA security. As I spend most of my time down here, that kinda sucks...

Yea it doesn't. The Wii does though and I was very glad because I was about to buy a second router just for that purpose. When I want to play online on the DS now I branch off a network through my laptop. It somewhat easy but just a chore and its hampered my online DS activity.

yeah, it's some BS. I thought they would change that on the Lite.

Nintendo is just lame in it's activities like this. Their excuse is just not having to implement WPA in some form. The DS has the processing power to handle it just fine.

Weird they didn't implement it then in the Lite.

I'm also annoyed they didn't rework the Lite's menus. IMO the DS's interface looks REALLY rushed and is confusing. It's nowhere near the standards set by the Gamecube, for example (or the typical game interface). I was really surprised they didn't change it at all.

My DS is my only device on my network that doesn't support WPA. I am not going to go back to WEP just because of my DS so I don't play it online anymore. I can't believe all the manufacturers of my other devices support it but Nintendo doesn't on the DS. And I have a lot of stuff on my network:

Laptop, Pocket PC, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2 and Xbox through Netgear game adapter, desktop downstairs, and PSP.

By the way, CouRageous how do you run your DS through your laptop's internet connection?

[quote name='Purkeynator']
By the way, CouRageous how do you run your DS through your laptop's internet connection?[/QUOTE]

My guess is he uses the Nintendo usb wifi adaptor or some other compatible one.

I've been pissed off about that too... and even more so that Nintendo didn't add it to the Lite. I doubt they'll ever add it in for some reason or another but it was really stupid of them to include 4/5 year old wireless security on a new system back when they originally launched the DS.

[quote name='spiwak']I don't mean to bitch, but why doesn't niwifi support WPA? At my house we have WEP and it works fine there but when I'm at school (meaning, different residence for college), I can't connect because it appears Nintendo doesn't "support" WPA security. As I spend most of my time down here, that kinda sucks...[/quote] Please bitch, I googled this like a month ago and one of NOA's answers were

NOA_GREG wrote:
We have no plans for WPA at this time.

If your concerned about WEP, turn your computers are OFF after you've switch to WEP for the DS. I don't care if The Lone Gunmen are parked outside your door with a van full of equipment trying to bust in your computer files, they can't do it if your computers are off. And, yes, your wireless router will still work if your computer is off. Um, unless it's plugged into the same power strip and you power the whole strip off.

If that's not an option for you, you may want to get the Nintendo USB WiFi Connector, as it works ONLY with the Nintendo DS, and you can leave your other WiFi router with WPA.

NOTE: The reason the Nintendo DS is compatible with WEP, and not WPA, is that we found WEP to be the most prevalent standard for securing wi-fi connections.
What a douche, I mean WEP has been going out for years now, and turning your computer off doesn't help against a guy doing illgeal things on your Wi-Fi.

This is one of the main reason's I'm not running to buy myself a DS (I had one, but it broke) again, I don't want to sacrafice securtity to play online.

A NOA staffer shouldn't suggest that you should have to either turn all your computers off or switch back and forth from WEP to WPA, which would be a hassle. I begrudginlgy just use WEP, but check my router's activity logs for new macs and never leave any computers on anyway. Unless you really have a hacker nearby that wants on, WEP is fine to keep most people out. And if they really wanted on your network that badly, they'll probably find another way.

[quote name='Purkeynator']By the way, CouRageous how do you run your DS through your laptop's internet connection?[/QUOTE]
I have an ibook but its probably the same process through windows. Through the Airport (wifi card) I open up a new network. Its under Sharing/Internet Sharing in the system menu. Not much to it, its simple and I can even put a WEP key on it. Technically its suposed to use a wired connection to share it wirelessly but it works. It doesn't slow down my computer or hit my internet speed that I can notice. The receiving end tends to get a lot of hiccups sometimes, after about an hour it gets unstable and almost seems like it times out. I'd guess its stress on airport to connect to one network and produce another? Not sure really. It worked fine when I had the ethernet cable connected then creating a network from there, but I'm not wired for that anymore.

I see what you mean, courageous, but I got some warning that my ISP could potentially shut off my internet for doing that, and I'm a chicken... so I guess I'll just be playing wi-fi when back in my hometown. I can't even steal someone else's wifi because the range on the DS is so low. ;)

I don't get online with mine due to the WPA incompatibility. And wow, that's a comment from a real Nintendo employee? Pathetic.

Frankly I don't think I'd get online much with mine anyway, as the friend code thing is pretty clunky, but I would have checked it out for sure.

[quote name='spiwak']I can't even steal someone else's wifi because the range on the DS is so low. ;)[/quote]

THAT'S the thing that really gets me - site survey of wireless nets within range of a cheap old D-Link wireless bridge shows _5_ wireless nets near my house - 2 running WPA (incl me), 1 running WEP, and two wide open. And guess what, the DS Lite sees _none_ of them. Brilliant.

bread's done
Back