Nolan Bushnell says new chip will end piracy.

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!
Pretty bold statement!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/encryption-chip-will-end-piracy-open-markets-says-bushnell

Speaking at yesterday's Wedbush Morgan Securities annual Management Access Conference, the Atari founder suggested that game piracy will soon be a thing of the past thanks to a new chip.
"There is a stealth encryption chip called a TPM that is going on the motherboards of most of the computers that are coming out now," he pointed out
"What that says is that in the games business we will be able to encrypt with an absolutely verifiable private key in the encryption world - which is uncrackable by people on the internet and by giving away passwords - which will allow for a huge market to develop in some of the areas where piracy has been a real problem."
Bushnell thinks that piracy of movies and music, however, is probably unstoppable because "if you can watch it and you can hear it, you can copy it."
"Games are a different thing, because games are so integrated with the code. The TPM will, in fact, absolutely stop piracy of gameplay.
"As soon as the installed base of the TPM hardware chip gets large enough, we will start to see revenues coming from Asia and India at a time when before it didn't make sense."

Right, 'cause nobody's ever circumvented an encryption chip. Truth is, copy protection has always been an arms race, and nothing has ever remained effective for very long once determined people get their hands on it.

Too early to tell, but someone almost always find ways to get around these sorts of stuff. A mod chip for motherboard may be in order if this turns out to be true.

I can see the headline now on the day before the chip is supposed to be released that it's already been hacked.

Anything created by man can be destroyed by man. Way to give us a heads up on your plans. Now rather than spending however long it takes to dismantle the encryption AFTER the chip has hit the market and made truckloads of money, we can dismantle it AHEAD OF TIME and own you at the starting line.

I second the notion that someone just threw away their career.

~HotShotX

I agree with the sentiments that everyone here already posted. I don't believe there will ever be an end to piracy. If your guys are good enough to create something secure, there will always be others out there who are better and will find a way to crack it.

So, what happens if I just don't buy motherboards with this chip on it? Seems to me it wouldn't make sense to require the chip to play the game - too many MoBo's might not have it.

They'd probably push to make it mandatory on all new MOBOs. And if not, a lot of people would probably just buy an OEM one and pay someone who knows how to pry it off.

This is silly, they need a chip that electrocutes the user when they try to pirate something. That would work better.

[quote name='n25philly']This is silly, they need a chip that electrocutes the user when they try to pirate something. That would work better.[/QUOTE]

College dorms would catch on fire constantly.

Also colleges would have to pay far higher electricity bills.

[quote name='Strell']College dorms would catch on fire constantly.

Also colleges would have to pay far higher electricity bills.[/quote]

woth it IMHO

yeah all it will take is 1 mobo manufacturer to think hey if i make a board with out that chip it will sell like crazy, problem solved, no hacking required

[quote name='Strell']Soon, modchips will need modchips.

And then we will need modsalsa to go with them all.[/QUOTE]

I'm hungry.

Thank god someone is finally making the high seas a safer place. You're almost guaranteed to be attacked by Somali pirates if you're heading for the Suez canal.

Yep like everyone else says it'll either cracked soon upon release or a few manufacturers will just not put them on their boards.

[quote name='infinitepez']So, what happens if I just don't buy motherboards with this chip on it? Seems to me it wouldn't make sense to require the chip to play the game - too many MoBo's might not have it.[/quote]

Exactly, after mobo implementation of the Chip it would take years before it could be a requirement, by then it would be cracked. It is too late for Publishers to hope for a PC "in game terms" to be an upgradable Console which is what this would "in some respects" be.

just love how company's put years and millions of dollars worth of R&D to make something like this and all it takes it a bunch of asian's and a drunken weekend to crack it.

Call me when SecureRom declares bankruptcy because there shit fucks up everyone computers (including mine) and they get sued to hell.

[quote name='kenkaze']It's not like anyone's using it yet either[/QUOTE]
Not like anyone's using TPM? They sure are. It's on most motherboards now. Many OEMs are using it for their includied system CDs as well, to verify that you are reinstalling on an authorized system.

[quote name='Damian']Not like anyone's using TPM? They sure are. It's on most motherboards now. Many OEMs are using it for their includied system CDs as well, to verify that you are reinstalling on an authorized system.[/quote]
I meant in terms of game developers.

bread's done
Back