Non-gaming related: Conficker virus/worm worry?

Just run Windows Update. If you have the most recent security fixes then you're immune--the reason why the virus is getting so much hype is the vast number of computers that *aren't* up to date. When was the last time your grandma installed a hotfix?

As for me, well all three active computers in my household are Macs, so I'm in the clear for now.

Not true. Actually, the virus wasn't programmed to cause any damage on April 1st. It was merely programmed to "phone home" for an update. The old version of conficker queried 250 web domains for updates, which was possible for security experts to get under control. The new version that came around a few days ago can grab updates from a list of 50,000 domains in all--making the version we're dealing with now a much bigger problem.

All we can really do now is wait and see what the programmers want to actually do with all those computers now under their control. Of course, if you are up-to-date, then you are safe. Of course, if you are up-to-date, then you are safe.

No no no, it's just that there are less viruses out there for Macs. Nobody cares to write viruses for a niche OS. But if anything it's easier to get a virus on a Mac, due to it's system getting less regular attention. Seriously, a large portion of the Mac userbase believes they're virus proof. When you see the attention this Conficker thing got due to a few idiots not maintaining their systems, you have to wonder what will happen if the Mac userbase actually grows...

bread's done
Back