Non-paying bidder, help please

Rynoceros

CAGiversary!
Okay, so I'm going through the non-paying bidder process with someone who is obviously not going to pay. I've included the correspondences at the end of this post in case you want to see them. My question is, how long do I have to deal with this deadbeat until I can relist my item? With ebay's unpaid item claim system, it seems like we could go back and forth forever.

Background information-
**The buyer has 0 feedback
**I have 43 unique positive feedbacks, no negative
**Buyer made last minute bid to become the winner so should have been fully aware he was the winner, whether he checked his email/ebay accounts or not.
**Auction ended March 27
**Invoice sent March 27
**Invoice sent March 28

Emails below followed the buyer not responding to my invoices:

**From seller Mar 29
Dear xxxxxx,

xxxx, please respond to either my ebay account or email account (xxxxx) as soon as possible. I need to hear from by tomorrow evening if we are to continue with this transaction. If I have not heard from you by then, tomorrow evening I will file a non-payment complaint with Ebay against your account. I will also be re-listing the PSP and you will have forfeited all claims to it.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
**From Non-paying bidder Mar 30

Dear xxxx,

Before threating to file non-paying bidder complaint, try contacting the buyer next time. You are in neutral territory to begin with buddy, for not contacting me at the close of the auction. I will be sending a money order, ASAP. Please provide me with your address and the total for the PSP including shipping. I also will expect a tracking number, once the PSP is sent. I wish you would contact me personally. Don't leave me in the dark here. Thank You, xxxxx

Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below.

Thank you,
xxxxx

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
**Seller wrote to non-paying bidder Mar 30

xxxxx, thank you for responding. Please make the money order out to -

xxxxxx

The message you responded to where I notified you that I would be
proceeding with the non-paying bidder complaint system was in fact my
third message to you, not my first. On top of the notices you
received from Ebay letting you know you won the auction, you also
received two emailed invoices from me, letting you know what the total
was and where to send the payment. The first invoice was directly
after the auction finish on Sunday night, the second invoice was on
Monday evening. The non-paying bidder notice email was sent on
Tuesday night, letting you know that if 3 days had passed from the
auction close without any word from you, I would begin the non-paying
bidder process. This 3 day response window is not only my policy, but
also Ebay's standard policy.

I am now sending another invoice to you via Ebay, it has all the
information you need to make payment. I also have copies of all prior
correspondence, if you need them.

I look forward to receiving your payment soon and thanks again for
getting back to me.

xxxxx

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
**Non-paying bidder wrote on Mar 31

Thanks for contacting me...Im sending the money order tommorow
(Friday). I didn't realize that those ebay invoices were from you, but
now I am aware that they had the information I needed. Is the PSP
still sealed? And if not, did you check for dead pixels? If you have a
reciept for the PSP, can you include it in the package? Thanks. My
address is: xxxxxxxx
Thanks for your patience.
-xxxxxxx

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
**Seller wrote on Mar 31

No problem xxxxxx, I want you to know I appreciate your professionalism
and I look forward to getting your PSP to you just as soon as I can
(hopefully early next week if the money order gets here quickly).

You mentioned needing a tracking number, which I am I am willing to
get, but if you want this I believe the Post Office charges an extra
$2, so please increase your money order by that amount. If you're
willing to spend the money on it, it would probably be wiser to skip
the tracking number and instead pay the $5 for insurance. I will be
putting delivery confirmation on it, too, but that's already included
in the total.

For the questions about the PSP, the box is still sealed so I don't
know of any pixel problems, but I will gladly include the original
receipt.

Thanks again,xxxx

xxxxx

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
**Seller to non-paying bidder Apr 4

Hey xxxxx, just checking up to see if you had a chance to send the
money order yet. Thanks!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
**Seller to Non-paying bidder Apr 5 (2 days ago)

xxxxx, I'm writing to let you know that I'm beginning the unpaid buyer
process. I am doing this so that I can get the PSP relisted ASAP in
case you don't really intend to pay.

I am doing to protect myself, not to intimidate you into paying. All
I want is to get my PSP sold, paid for, and shipped out to the paying
winner.

If you don't intend to pay, then the unpaid buyer process will refund
me the $8-$9 it costs me to list the item so that I can list it again.
Again, I am not doing this to push you into anything, I just don't
want to get charged twice if I have to relist.

If you have already mailed the money order, then I apologize for
putting this claim in, just let me know that you have mailed the Money
Order. We will complete the transaction as normal and the unpaid item
claim will be dropped.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The following are our correspondences through the unpaid item resolution option:

**eBay Apr-05-05 at 19:37:10 PDT

An Unpaid Item dispute has been opened for the following item: Sony PSP

Reason given for Unpaid Item: The buyer has not paid for the item.
Buyer actions reported by seller: The buyer has refused to pay.

**Seller Apr-05-05 at 19:44:03 PDT

Status of unpaid claim:

Buyer did not respond to invoices/email inquiries until the 3rd day following
the end of the auction. First buyer response was hostile but buyer then calmed after some correspondence
and promised they would money order ASAP.

Buyer said MO woud be sent by Friday 4/1.

I have not received notice of buyer sending money order as of 4/5. I have sent correspondence asking the buyer for confirmation of the money order being sent, but have not yet received a response.

**Non-paying bidder Apr-05-05 at 19:51:33 PDT

Money Order was not sent friday...I will send it ASAP. I had planned 2 send it on the 1st. I will try to get to the bank and post office before they close tommorow, no bs. I will send you an email around 5:30 with more information. Thank you for your patience.

**Seller Apr-07-05 at 19:18:11 PDT

As of 10:16 EST April 7th, I have not received the email promised to receive by 5:30 April 6th.

I've considered it but... what are the repurcussions if he actually ends up sending me payment?

In an effort to close the issue with him, I sent him this message just now-

xxxx, I don't know if you've read Ebay's unpaid item resolution process, but if we both choose to close the dispute, your account will not be hit with an unpaid item mark and I will still receive my auction fees back.

If you choose this "mutual agreement not to complete" route, just let me know.
I will not leave negative feedback on your account.

I will post their policy in a second message if you want to read it word-for-word.

Ebay's policy-

Mutual agreement indication - while filing the Unpaid Item dispute, if the seller
indicates that a mutual agreement has been reached with the buyer not to complete the transaction, eBay will ask the buyer for confirmation through an email and pop-up message. If the buyer confirms the seller's statement about mutual agreement not to complete the transaction, the buyer will not receive an Unpaid Item strike and the seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit.

It sounds like he probably isn't going to pay, but next time I would wait a little longer to threaten hitting him with a non-paying bidder. 2-3 days isn't that long to wait for someone to pay.

Well I think that your current course of action is the best, new bidders can be an extreme pain. I'd relist the item and if payment ever does come from him don't open it and have the post office return it to the sender.

Also in future auctions make sure you state a time table for them to contact you and have sent payment by, some people assume they've got weeks after an auction to pay and don't bother to contact you even if you send repeated invoices.

i would feel like your rushing me, ususally when i purchase something i usually pay right away tho, i would wait 7-11 days after auction to file complaint, did you list in your auction that you wanted money 2-3 days after auction?

[quote name='greendc27']It sounds like he probably isn't going to pay, but next time I would wait a little longer to threaten hitting him with a non-paying bidder. 2-3 days isn't that long to wait for someone to pay.[/QUOTE]

im with this guy, i think you were impatient

Too impatient. If I'm really in a hurry after 2-3 days I send a reminder, then an e-mail the next day, then an e-mail every day or 2. After the first e-mail I warn him about neg and non paying bidder, after about 8 or 9 days I relist the item and continue the processes started. If I don't really care, I send a reminder about 3-4 days or so after, then an e-mail the next day, then 2-3 over the next 15 days or so. About 50% of the time the guy actually does pay, assuming I've gotten some communication. Even had a few people pay after neg was left and non paying bidder was completed.

Yea, I was impatient, I agree. But I think I had and still have reason to be, given the circumstances.

And thanks to all who suggested I put notice in future auctions. I think I'll do that and switch to a Paypal only method of payment. Hopefully that will weed out procrastinating/non-paying bidders.

I think I am going to give him until Saturday night to contact me back, then just relist it. Thanks all for the advice

[quote name='Beana Blasta']im with this guy, i think you were impatient[/QUOTE]
I third this moton. I would wait at least 5 days. After 5 days, I would have requested thier personal info to get thier phone number and give the person a call. Usually this kicks people in the ass to pay up or shut up. After 10 days I would file a NPB report.

For reference. you should have some sort of dislaimer in your auction saying that:

1) I expect contact with winning bidder within xx hours.
2) I expect payment in x # of days
3) Payment will be in ______ & _____ ONLY
4) Bidders from continental USA ONLY
5) Bidders with zero/negative feedback must contact seller before bidding or else the bid will be removed.
6) I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THIS AUCTION ANY TIME. IF THE ABOVE CONDITIONS ARE NOT MET BY THE WINNING BIDDER, A NPB WILL BE FILED AND NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WILL BE LEFT. ITEM WILL BE RELISTED.

Five days? Ten days? No, the winning bidder needed to pay, if not immediately, at least on that day when he promised in writing to do so. This sounds like someone who won the auction but hasn't yet sold enough blood plasma to afford it. I'm sure the critics would be singing a different tune if they had listed, say, Spikeout: Battle Street and were watching the value plummet while the winning bidder had his thumb in his ass instead of his wallet. Report him and relist.

[quote name='Rynoceros']And thanks to all who suggested I put notice in future auctions. I think I'll do that and switch to a Paypal only method of payment. Hopefully that will weed out procrastinating/non-paying bidders.[/QUOTE]

That's what I do. I accept paypal only, no exceptions.

If he passed the time that you allow for payment to be recieved, you should just relist the item and file NPB. If payment did come after this, just send it back. You dont need all this trouble to sell an item. State in your auction when you expect payment and how, and stick to it. Bidders must follow the rules you set as a seller.

[quote name='adamsappel']Five days? Ten days? No, the winning bidder needed to pay, if not immediately, at least on that day when he promised in writing to do so. [/QUOTE]
That's my personal opinion, but either way he can't complain if it wasn't explicitly stated on the auction terms such as the ones I suggested. If he wanted they to pay immediatly, then it should have been stated in the terms.

To further add to the list of terms, I believe he should also have it listed as 'AS IS' in case something freakish happens and it doesn;t work.

I agree with some of the other posters that you were kind of rushing the guy. He does seem to be giving you the run-around now, but to be starting the non-paying bidder process that soon after the auction seems a little rash. He might have been a little intimidated. Most of the time I hear nothing from buyers, even after I send an invoice. Usually Paypal-ers pay within a day, and if I haven't received anything, it's because they are sending a money order. I just inquire with them and usually they let me know. You have to be more patient, especially with newer eBayers.

I agree with most of the posters that you were a bit trigger happy with your e-mails. But that certainly doesn't give the buyer the right to not pay. Nothing you can do but hit him with the NPB and relist it.

If you do get the MO from him after you have relisted the item, I'd just mail it back to him with a note that you didn't receive payment when promised and were forced to relist the PSP. I would send him a final e-mail to let him know that you are relisting it and that if he has sent a MO you will be sending it back to him uncashed.

Anyway, what a pain in the ass and for high dollar item, as well. I wouldn't have given him the out to do a 'mutually decided not to complete this transaction' personally. He deserves a NPB strike.

I don't put a disclaimer like Cappy's in my listings. It's part of eBay that the winning bidder must pay and the NPB process can begin 7 days after the auction so if I haven't heard from them by then I start it after 7 or 8 days. But a disclaimer/terms bit couldn't hurt as long as it's not too intimidating.

My system is this:

1. Buyer's are automatically sent an invoice upon the close of the auction with payment instructions.

2. If I haven't heard from them 3 days after the close I send them a friendly reminder to please let me know how they will be paying ASAP. Doesn't mention anything about doing a NPB, etc.

3. 5 days after the auction I send them another fairly friendly reminder and let them know I'll be forced to start the process to have my fees refunded by eBay if they don't respond by 7 days from the end of auction.

I can't believe all of you people. If you don't want to be scammed you got to be strict. If I don't get payment within 72 hours, I stop being nice and go after the person.

bread's done
Back