Non-Paying Bidder = Negative feedback?

noodles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Sold a game on EBay and the guy stiffed me. Come to find out, looking at his feedback, he appears to have hedged his bets on the same game in another auction and won both, and left me holding the bag.

Thing is, he lied about paying me...claimed he sent a cashiers check which has never arrived. Throughout, I have been very friendly with him about it in emails...but after a week or so, he basically stopped replying to my inquiries. I finally (stupidly) wrote him to say that if I did not get his check by X day, I would have to file a Non-Paying Bidder complaint. He promptly filed an Item Not Received complaint on me.

So, I did my part and replied to his complaint, then opened my own. The guy has never even bothered to respond to the complaints...not even the one he opened himself. Tomorrow marks the 8th day, and I presume he will not respond, and I will get the fee credit. So, I am wondering...

I'd kinda like to leave this guy negative feedback, not so much because he didnt pay me but more because he lied about it and then tried to snowball me to cover his tracks and make the whole process as difficult as possible for me. If he'd just wrote me and said that he wanted to retract his bid, I'd have been happy to work something out and possibly give the Second Chance bidder a shot at the game...no harm, no foul. Problem is, I'm wondering if he'll still have the opportunity to zap me with negative feedback as well, even though I realistically did nothing wrong? If so, is there a way to get that removed by EBay? Should I not bother to leave feedback for this guy, just to avoid him retaliating with a phony Negative against me?

Thanks in advance to the more experienced EBay folks out there.

If I remember correctly, retalitory feedback isn't allowed on Ebay... but he could technically say he sent you the payment and that you screwed him and he could leave a negative as well.

Ebay really needs to design the feedback system better, I hate the thought of people getting retalitory feedbacks when the buyer is 100% at fault.

Well, that's something else I am wondering...

If the guy posts an Item Not Received complaint, and doesnt follow through and even reply to my comments in the complaint (essentially aborting his own complaint), shouldnt that preclude him from leaving me Negative feedback? Or at least, give me a leg to stand on when I write EBay and ask them to have it removed?

Ideally I guess I hoped that by losing a Non-Paying Bidder complaint, his side of the Feedback process would be shut down and therefore unavailable to him, but it doesnt sound like that's how it works, eh? You're right...that's a pretty crappy system.

Nope. You neg him, he wil neg you. All people will see is that you are pointing fingers at each other. Either neg him and if he negs you back, you can file a mutual retraction. Or you can just suck it up and do nothing. Either you stand by your eBay morals and neg him and hope for the best, or you can just look the other way. *shrug* Nobody wins on eBay anymore. I am glad I got out of that years ago before the REAL assholes and idiots multiplied.

[quote name='Roufuss']If I remember correctly, retalitory feedback isn't allowed on Ebay... but he could technically say he sent you the payment and that you screwed him and he could leave a negative as well.

Ebay really needs to design the feedback system better, I hate the thought of people getting retalitory feedbacks when the buyer is 100% at fault.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it is allowed.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/questions/retaliatory-feedback.html

Unfortunately for me, too. One negative (left because I gave a neutral) and that's the difference from me having a perfect score.

I never leave negatives because of ebay's badly designed feedback system. It never fails, you drop a negative on someone who deserves it, and you get one in return, even if you didn't deserve it.

Yeesh, paints an awfully bleak picture. I guess it's a bummer, in that I suppose I was hoping to hear that I might be protected somehow. Looking at the Feedback links posted above, it appears there is quite literally no protection at all from this sort of thing.

So now I guess it boils down to whether I am willing to eat a phony Negative to take this guy to task. :(

[quote name='noodles']Yeesh, paints an awfully bleak picture. I guess it's a bummer, in that I suppose I was hoping to hear that I might be protected somehow. Looking at the Feedback links posted above, it appears there is quite literally no protection at all from this sort of thing.

So now I guess it boils down to whether I am willing to eat a phony Negative to take this guy to task. :([/quote]

Just file a NPB, after enough of those ebay will close his account.

Welll what I would do in this situation is to wait for his payment to arrive then send the item as claimed.

DO NOT GET INTO A HASSLE. If the buyer claimed to send payment then wait for the payment and just keep telling him the payment has not yet arrive.

REMEMBER YOUR HOLDING THE CARDS. If your the seller you have the item and thus your payment will allways come first unless you trust the buyer.

DO NOT LEAVE BAD FEEDBACK. When leaving bad feedback remember it has to be for a realistic reason. I recently recieved badfeed back the fact the seller said that I refused to pay when in truth the seller refused to answer the messages and pretend that I ever sent a message and I even had a strike.
The point is I was not even using my account and the seller continue to pass judgement. If you leave badfeed back make sure there is nothing in between you and the seller and there is only a true reason.

So far there is no reason to leave any bad feedback since you are still holding the item and the sellers payment have yet to arrive.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Welll what I would do in this situation is to wait for his payment to arrive then send the item as claimed.[/quote]

LOL, I dont think your understanding of the 'situation' is the same as the one I have described. :D

Today was the 8th day since I had filed the NPB complaint. I waited 10 days from the close of the auction to file the complaint. Today marks almost _3 weeks_ since the auction closed. Email dialogue with him, which started out normal and informative, trickled down to vague one-word answers and eventually evaporated completely and became no response at all. From that, it seems all but certain that he has not sent payment, and given the last auction won on his feedback page was for the exact same game, I think it's safe to say he does not intend to send any payment to me.

So I'm not sure why you think waiting for his payment is the answer...pretty confident it isnt coming at this point.

Then reply to the person about "Do they stilll want to buy this item" and if they say no then ask "Can you please give me a reason for not wanting this item" and if they asnwer "I just do not want it" respond with.....

what I would do here is leave nuteral feedback between the both of you but make sure the seller leaves feedback and is truthfull about it and message the last bidder.

If they still want to buy the item then tell them they will be unable to cash the money order etc that they sent previously and to resend stating the address.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']what I would do here is leave nuteral feedback between the both of you but make sure the seller leaves feedback and is truthfull about it and message the last bidder. [/quote]

That's kinda sorta my point, really. Why should I get Neutral (or Negative) feedback from this transaction? I havent done anything wrong. I would think that in an ideal system (bizarro EBay), I'd be able to leave this guy a Negative for stiffing me, and his side of the Feedback system would be shut down for his side of our transaction.

As has been discussed, it's unforunate that system does not in fact exist in our plane of EBay reality.

bread's done
Back