Non-responsive left-shoulder button

Filbert

CAGiversary!
I bought my DS lite on launch day and it's been great ever since. However, after months of Mario Kart my left shoulder button stopped clicking when it was pressed, and not long after that it stopped responding all together except when pressed very hard and repeatedly.

This isn't a bit deal for most games, but it's made Mario Kart and the Castlevania games unplayable for me. I looked into getting a replacement, but $100+ just to have a working button seems a bit much, plus I like the screens on my DS lite when compared to the screens I've seen on newer units. Since it's so old now Nintendo wants $75 to repair it, also much to not even have a second system when all is said and done.

So my questions are as follows. Is this a common problem with the shoulder buttons? Also, is it something that I might be able to fix myself?

From googling, it looks like your options are:

1) Used canned air to blow it out & see if that helps.

2) Send to Nintendo for repair.

3) Replace the switch. (requires soldering)

I was all ready to replace something myself (I'm not going to spend $75 to get it repaired and I already own a tri-tip screw driver that would work) until I did google it and tried the canned air thing. It actually worked. The shoulder button works almost all the time now. Every once it awhile it doesn't but I think I'll just try the canned air a few more times.

bread's done
Back