Non-SP GBA for $30 at Wal-Mart

seanw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
If your WM still carries GBAs (typically Glacier), they've been clearanced from $40 to $30. Still too much for me to buy a full set of Four Swords controllers, but enough for me to pick up GBA #2.

Screens are so crummy on the original GBAs, though. I have a Glacier one from launch and even with a light attached to it the screen is barely visible. What a difference it was playing Metroid Zero Mission on my DS! Although I suppose 30 dollars might be worth it if you "hack it" and install a backlight on the GBA. That model is awful comfortable in the hands.

If it turns out this is YMMV, I'll be happy to update the post. So if anyone goes to Wal-Mart and they have non-SP GBAs that are selling for more than $30, with or without e-Readers, post it here. But it looked like a global clearance.

Finally--I can get around to playing multiplayer FF Crystal Chronicles and Zelda Four Swords without having to pony up much more than the price of another cube controller. Thanks op!

My local walmart is selling the GBAs for $30. They are still behind glass and just have a normal price tag of $29.96.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Can anyone confirm the E-Reader GBA bundle being $30?[/quote]

I think the other threads have said that the E-Reader alone is $30. I know at my Target it's $30 alone, no GBA.

If anyone does go to Wal-Mart and buy the $30 GBA, I highly recommend this light.

E-Reader should be free. You can get a Dreamcast for less than an E-Reader some places.

Anyway, yeah my Walmart has the regular GBA for $30, and my Walmart never has any of the sales posted here, so maybe it's not YMMV

[quote name='Chris in Cali']E-Reader should be free.[/quote]

Do you suggest it would be more profitable for Nintendo to provide this product free of charge?

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='Chris in Cali']E-Reader should be free.[/quote]

Do you suggest it would be more profitable for Nintendo to provide this product free of charge?[/quote]

Dude, it was a sarcastic remark. Not to mention I could less about any companies profit, I don't work for or own stock in Nintendo. I think it's quite sad to see a product that no longer is supported being so overpriced.

Trakan, if you have any tips on how to get a Gamester Floodlight, I'd love to hear 'em. I don't trust ebgames.com's GBA LIGHT/MAG ALL - Pre-Played very much.

If this does turn out to be a nation wide sale as some of the reports are indicating, then I'd gladly pick one up. I still am running off of an original and the screen in recent times has gotten a little scratched up.

[quote name='seanw']Trakan, if you have any tips on how to get a Gamester Floodlight, I'd love to hear 'em. I don't trust ebgames.com's GBA LIGHT/MAG ALL - Pre-Played very much.[/quote]

Believe it or not, when I had my normal GBA, I bought it at Wal-Mart. I don't know if they carry them anymore, but that's where I got mine.

[quote name='poopy']Screens are so crummy on the original GBAs, though. I have a Glacier one from launch and even with a light attached to it the screen is barely visible. What a difference it was playing Metroid Zero Mission on my DS! Although I suppose 30 dollars might be worth it if you "hack it" and install a backlight on the GBA. That model is awful comfortable in the hands.[/quote]

You can't install a backlight on the GBA.

...a front-light, however...

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='poopy']Screens are so crummy on the original GBAs, though. I have a Glacier one from launch and even with a light attached to it the screen is barely visible. What a difference it was playing Metroid Zero Mission on my DS! Although I suppose 30 dollars might be worth it if you "hack it" and install a backlight on the GBA. That model is awful comfortable in the hands.[/quote]

...a front-light, however...[/quote]

The Halo lights are backlights I thought. So was the afterburner, wasn't it? I really have no idea, that's just what I thought.

[quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='poopy']Screens are so crummy on the original GBAs, though. I have a Glacier one from launch and even with a light attached to it the screen is barely visible. What a difference it was playing Metroid Zero Mission on my DS! Although I suppose 30 dollars might be worth it if you "hack it" and install a backlight on the GBA. That model is awful comfortable in the hands.[/quote]

The Halo lights are backlights I thought. So was the afterburner, wasn't it? I really have no idea, that's just what I thought.[/quote]

Nope.

http://www.gbalight.com/halo.html

The GBA Halo Light is the first offering since the Afterburner that uses frontlight technology as well. While it can't be considered completely internal (it's powered via the link port), it has an installation that is a snap.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='poopy']Screens are so crummy on the original GBAs, though. I have a Glacier one from launch and even with a light attached to it the screen is barely visible. What a difference it was playing Metroid Zero Mission on my DS! Although I suppose 30 dollars might be worth it if you "hack it" and install a backlight on the GBA. That model is awful comfortable in the hands.[/quote]

The Halo lights are backlights I thought. So was the afterburner, wasn't it? I really have no idea, that's just what I thought.[/quote]

Nope.

http://www.gbalight.com/halo.html

The GBA Halo Light is the first offering since the Afterburner that uses frontlight technology as well. While it can't be considered completely internal (it's powered via the link port), it has an installation that is a snap.
[/quote]

Aww... that sucks. The lighting thing is a big deal to me, I'll just wait for a GBA sp price drop.

bread's done
Back