non-working snes cartridge

yourlefthand

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
I have a megaman x3 cartridge that appears to be in good condition but will not start when I put it in two different SNES's. I have thoroughly cleaned the contacts with alcohol. When I start it through my game genie, it begins to work but stops when the actual gameplay would start. I think that it must be a problem with the outer sets of pins, as the game genie does not read those at all.

Any ideas about what I can do to make it work?

[quote name='yourlefthand']I have a megaman x3 cartridge that appears to be in good condition but will not start when I put it in two different SNES's. I have thoroughly cleaned the contacts with alcohol. When I start it through my game genie, it begins to work but stops when the actual gameplay would start. I think that it must be a problem with the outer sets of pins, as the game genie does not read those at all.

Any ideas about what I can do to make it work?[/QUOTE]
Blow on it?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Blow on it?[/QUOTE]

I've tried that, probably about 20 times. thanks anyway. :)

Do cartridges go bad like this? If so, does anyone want to buy a cheap shell of a megaman x3 cartridge?

I think when a cartridge goes bad, it is pretty much done for (Like a really badly scratched CD).

As an interesting side note, I have a Mega Man X cartridge that has some really weird sound issues. Every time he fires his blaster, it sounds more like a fairy saying 'Whoop" than a laser blaster thingy. (Don't ask me how I came to that conclusion, it is an awkward sound)

[quote name='yourlefthand']I've tried that, probably about 20 times. thanks anyway. :)

Do cartridges go bad like this? If so, does anyone want to buy a cheap shell of a megaman x3 cartridge?[/QUOTE]

Maybe something inside the game is bad, if you can take it apart and see if you can at least see anything physically wrong with the PCB. If it ends up being a lost cause and you can't get it working at all I would be interested in the shell.

It's not so much the alcohol, as the friction with whatever pad you're using. I wouldn't use sandpaper (as dodgeme said, possibly joking). But if you can find an old cartridge cleaning kit, use a piece of ripped-up sock, or part of a coarser sponge, that may help.

With some of the cartridges that featured more advanced chips in them, a metal contact would be added that would touch the metal exterior of the pin slot of the Super NES. I don't know if this is the particular issue you are facing. But I do know that a copy of Mega Man X2 I had was missing the little metal tab that made this contact. I figured out a way to replace the tab, and the game started running fine after that.

This metal tab only shows up on a few cartridges, usually the ones that featured additional chips. (like the FX chip) I believe Donkey Kong Country also had this tab. If that little metal tab is missing from your Mega Man X3 cartridge, then it is probably what is causing your issues.

I'm serious. Some fine girt sandpaper and maybe 5 swipes on each side of the cartridge cleaned my contracts right up. All my old games work with one click into my SNES.

[quote name='dodgeme']I'm serious. Some fine girt sandpaper and maybe 5 swipes on each side of the cartridge cleaned my contracts right up. All my old games work with one click into my SNES.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for this method, though I've done it with NES games, not SNES. Keep in mind a few things, though:

• This approach is a LAST RESORT, as it can also do the most damage to your games if you are not careful. Try a cartridge cleaning kit first.

• Use the finest grit sandpaper you can find and rub it VERY LIGHTLY across the contacts. I found that holding the sandpaper at the edge about two inches away from the cartridge, then lightly scraping it across the contacts, works well.

• After using the sandpaper, clean the contacts again with a cleaning kit to remove any loose residue.

Believe it or not, I've also used this approach on my NES system, with surprising success (the blinks are much less frequent now).

I've also heard that rubbing the contacts with a pencil eraser works well, and would probably be less risky, though I haven't tried it myself.

[quote name='TechRat']I can vouch for this method, though I've done it with NES games, not SNES. Keep in mind a few things, though:

• This approach is a LAST RESORT, as it can also do the most damage to your games if you are not careful. Try a cartridge cleaning kit first.

• Use the finest grit sandpaper you can find and rub it VERY LIGHTLY across the contacts. I found that holding the sandpaper at the edge about two inches away from the cartridge, then lightly scraping it across the contacts, works well.

• After using the sandpaper, clean the contacts again with a cleaning kit to remove any loose residue.

Believe it or not, I've also used this approach on my NES system, with surprising success (the blinks are much less frequent now).

I've also heard that rubbing the contacts with a pencil eraser works well, and would probably be less risky, though I haven't tried it myself.[/QUOTE]
I've done the eraser trick, but only with a white plastic/vinyl eraser and it does work. Wouldn't dare do it with a standard pink pencil eraser.

bread's done
Back