Noob question about PS3 HDMI output?

foo33333

CAGiversary!
1 question about HDMI output, I have a HDTV ready TV. Do I have to buy HDTV receiver/tuner? or just stick it in to the back of DVI-D port and good to go? Please help me out! THanks!

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Just use componet cables. If you dont have HDMI you wont get 1080p so there is no point in using HDMI[/QUOTE]

DVI-D will easily do 1080p, in the case of the PS3 it probably has to be HDCP compatible though (which is still a solid possibility with DVI). However, if his/her HDTV is old enough to be using DVI it may not accept a 1080p signal anyways. Bu ton that same note, the TV may not accept HD signals via component either depending on its make.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']If your TV only has a DVI input, you'll need an HDMI-to-DVI cable, like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2&style=

Either way, you just need to plug it straight to the TV.[/QUOTE]

He's laid it out for you well OP, no matter your resolution or what have you, your connection can be the same. You don't need a HD reciever or tuner of any kind. Simply plug it straight into the TV using a cable like the one indictated by Ugamer_X. Also should you already have a DVI-D cable you'd like to use, you could purchase an adapter much like this one here to use in place the cable linked above.

I have a better question. Will the PS3 OUTPUT Dolby True HD directly? Or will it need to be decoded through your receiver? I have a Yamaha receiver with two HDMI inputs and one output but the ports are to the HDMI version 1.1 spec. The PS3 uses the version 1.3 spec which supports Dolby True HD. My reciever does not support Dolby True HD natively but I am wondering if the PS3 will decode it so my reciever can output it.
Also since my reciever is 1.1 does that mean my picture will be downgraded to the lowest common denominator of 1.1 (24 bit color) instead of the higher 30 bit color that HDMI 1.3 can put out?

[quote name='Purkeynator']I have a better question. Will the PS3 OUTPUT Dolby True HD directly? Or will it need to be decoded through your receiver? I have a Yamaha receiver with two HDMI inputs and one output but the ports are to the HDMI version 1.1 spec. The PS3 uses the version 1.3 spec which supports Dolby True HD. My reciever does not support Dolby True HD natively but I am wondering if the PS3 will decode it so my reciever can output it.
Also since my reciever is 1.1 does that mean my picture will be downgraded to the lowest common denominator of 1.1 (24 bit color) instead of the higher 30 bit color that HDMI 1.3 can put out?[/QUOTE]

1.3 features need 1.3 ports. It be pretty cool if the PS3 would let it work but I'd bet my bottom dollar that you'd need a TV/receiver that supports 1.3

I have a question, I have a Sony 42 Wega Projection LCD TV. Theres an HDMI hole in the back of the TV. All I have to do is plug the PS3 to the back and I will have PS3 in HD? Also, the TV says it has an HD tuner built into it? What does that mean?

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Just use componet cables. If you dont have HDMI you wont get 1080p so there is no point in using HDMI[/quote]
Actually, you can get 1080p over component, it's just not the prefered method to get it. The delay in the implementation of the image constraint token allows for that to be an option.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Actually, you can get 1080p over component, it's just not the prefered method to get it. The delay in the implementation of the image constraint token allows for that to be an option.[/quote]

Yea thats about right.

I'm good with Image quality. What im concerned about is Audio, what would be the best way to hook up the PS3 to your audio system?

P.S I hate my audio system...

[quote name='Ugamer_X']If your TV only has a DVI input, you'll need an HDMI-to-DVI cable, like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2&style=

Either way, you just need to plug it straight to the TV.[/QUOTE]

Wait...does this mean you can hook a Playstation 3 to a regular LCD monitor through DVI just by using a simple cable like that?!? That would be awesome!

Except...the Playstation 3 would have to support the monitor's resolution (1280x1024 in my case).

[quote name='D_Icon']I have a question, I have a Sony 42 Wega Projection LCD TV. Theres an HDMI hole in the back of the TV. All I have to do is plug the PS3 to the back and I will have PS3 in HD? Also, the TV says it has an HD tuner built into it? What does that mean?[/QUOTE]

Yup, just plug it in. Component also works for HD, though DVI is prefered if you have it.

An HD tuner means you can recieve digital channels over the air for free. It has nothing to do with hooking a console up to your TV.
Sounds like you're all set!

prolly way off topic but i too have a quick ps3 question

now i have a logitech Z-5300e 5.1 system for my current ps2/xbox/gc, and i was planning to get an lcd hd tv this november with at least 1 hdmi port. would there be any way i can still have HD 720p AND use my logitech system for the ps3? anyone have any other tips on what i should do would be great too

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea thats about right.

I'm good with Image quality. What im concerned about is Audio, what would be the best way to hook up the PS3 to your audio system?

P.S I hate my audio system...[/QUOTE]

Depends on you system, unless your receiver accepts/uses HDMI sound, then optical would probably be the next best. To be honest I guess I ddon't know the full PS3 specs, but I'd simply guess it doesn't have a digital coaxial out.

[quote name='djfalcon']prolly way off topic but i too have a quick ps3 question

now i have a logitech Z-5300e 5.1 system for my current ps2/xbox/gc, and i was planning to get an lcd hd tv this november with at least 1 hdmi port. would there be any way i can still have HD 720p AND use my logitech system for the ps3? anyone have any other tips on what i should do would be great too[/QUOTE]

I assume that model doesn't have a digital audio input, so you probably have use the "console adapter" they give you and just use RCA cables. The component cables for the system will almost without a doubt be component/RCA cables, and they are capable of 720p (I think this is true for the PS3). So simply run the compoent connections to the TV and the RCA connections to the speaker system.

You can *probably* just use the HDMI port at the same time you connect the regular cable and just use that for audio (though there's always a chance plugging in one cable disables the other, etc.)

^awsome thx for the advice guys

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I assume that model doesn't have a digital audio input, so you probably have use the "console adapter" they give you and just use RCA cables. The component cables for the system will almost without a doubt be component/RCA cables, and they are capable of 720p (I think this is true for the PS3). So simply run the compoent connections to the TV and the RCA connections to the speaker system.[/quote]

ya, no digital audio inputs, just the console adapter. I'll try both of these solutions, as long as i get some use out of the 130$ and a decent tv i'll be happy.

well, if you have money to blow, you should get a 1080p tv and a 7.1 sound system. Don't know how many games will have those... so far I've only seen 1 blueray movie that's 6.1

[quote name='Puppy']Wait...does this mean you can hook a Playstation 3 to a regular LCD monitor through DVI just by using a simple cable like that?!? That would be awesome!

Except...the Playstation 3 would have to support the monitor's resolution (1280x1024 in my case).
[/QUOTE]

Yep, DVI and HDMI are basically the same cable (except that HDMI carries the audio signal as well). Anything that accepts HDMI can accept DVI and vice-versa. If the Playstation 3 is able to output 720p (1280x720) through HDMI then it should work perfectly letterboxed (black bars on the top and bottom) on your LCD Monitor.

well my tv only has one hdmi connection.. i currenly use that for my all in one 5.1 box that upscales dvd's...

have they made an hdmi switch yet? i dont know what to do once i get more hdmi capable devices..

Hmm... I'm betting it won't work then, as the monitor would have to do the letterboxing and support that resolution-and my monitor won't do either, as far as I know. :(

Of course Sony could just support alternate resolutions like Microsoft does, but who knows if they will.

bread's done
Back