Noob TV connection question

You'll get stereo sound via that hookup, which you can probably have your receiver expand to a faux-5.1 via Dolby ProLogic if your receiver supports it.. If you want proper surround sound, you need HDMI from blu-ray player to receiver, then another HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

[Receiver]
l l
l HDMI l HDMI
l l
TV Blu-Ray Player

If you have two HDMI cables, and, enough inputs on your receiver.

Keen314 is correct, any connection (coax/HDMI/optical) from the TV will only give you stereo (2.1) sound to the receiver.

[quote name='sandaz93']Alright thanks guys. I probably update the receiver later though. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
No rush if your current receiver has a digital input. You could run HDMI to your tv and an optical or coaxial line to your receiver. You won't be able to take advantage of the high-def audio codecs, but you'll get surround sound that's at least as good as DVD (assuming your receiver supports DD and DTS).

Okay, so I connected the coaxial out on the coaxial in of the receiver, but im not getting any sound from my speakers. I know they work, as they work when connected to the 360 player via AV. When I switch the receiver switch to DVD/DSS, the digital optical light goes on. Yet im still not getting sound.

For clarification, The blu ray is connected to the tv via HDMI.

Thanks you guys for the help. Really appreciate it.

[quote name='sandaz93']Okay, so I connected the coaxial out on the coaxial in of the receiver, but im not getting any sound from my speakers. I know they work, as they work when connected to the 360 player via AV. When I switch the receiver switch to DVD/DSS, the digital optical light goes on. Yet im still not getting sound.

For clarification, The blu ray is connected to the tv via HDMI.

Thanks you guys for the help. Really appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying you connected the coaxial digital audio output on your receiver directly to the coax digital audio input on your receiver, and the digital OPTICAL light is coming on your receiver when you switch to the DVD/DSS input for audio? Coaxial and optical are different, so you need to either re-assign the coax digital audio input to DVD/DSS input on the receiver, or find the receiver input that is currently assigned the coax digital audio input. On many receivers, there are multiple digital audio inputs, maybe both coax and optical, so make sure you have the right coax digital input selected.

Not 100% sure, since all my stuff supports everything over HDMI, but you may have to change the settings on your Blu-ray player to stream multichannel digital audio over the coax output instead of over HDMI.

[quote name='msu89dawgs']So you're saying you connected the coaxial digital audio output on your receiver directly to the coax digital audio input on your receiver, and the digital OPTICAL light is coming on your receiver when you switch to the DVD/DSS input for audio? Coaxial and optical are different, so you need to either re-assign the coax digital audio input to DVD/DSS input on the receiver, or find the receiver input that is currently assigned the coax digital audio input. On many receivers, there are multiple digital audio inputs, maybe both coax and optical, so make sure you have the right coax digital input selected.

Not 100% sure, since all my stuff supports everything over HDMI, but you may have to change the settings on your Blu-ray player to stream multichannel digital audio over the coax output instead of over HDMI.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, thats exactly what I had to do. I messed around with the HDMI settings on the blu player and now im getting sound. .

bread's done
Back