Nostalgia no more, when it all feels antiquated.

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
262 (100%)
I'm not sure if any of you have had the same experience but I've recently lost the nostalgia bug. I guess it could be that most of the nostalgia I did have for older games has run it's course (could be with all the remakes) but I just find it strange that I suddenly stopped caring.

My PSP 2000 even seems antiquated to me at this point with it's loud umd grinding noise where as stuff like this never use to bother me. I'm not sure if it's a sign of the times with tech moving so fast or not but at this point it's kind of nice not to be looking back or holding on to this stuff.

I'm actually wondering if it's because gaming feels more like a service at this point then something physical or maybe that's just because of where it's headed.

I can see what you're saying, but I'm still a big fan of the old systems/games. Heck, the Atari is still one of my favorite systems - I never get tired of Missile Command, Space Invaders, even Pac-Man. It's harder for me to keep nostalgia for the '90s systems like the PS1. Though I will admit, I still enjoy PS1 games like Crash Team Racing, Gundam Battle Assault, and Klonoa which have held up remarkably well.

[quote name='GUNNM']That's why you wait for HD collections. I'm still waiting for a legacy of kain HD collection.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Spider-Man on the PS1 will never get an HD collection, still love that game :) I do have a handful of soft spots still but in general the old is out.

Never.. Retro FO LYFE.

[quote name='GUNNM']That's why you wait for HD collections. I'm still waiting for a legacy of kain HD collection.[/QUOTE]

HD Collections sux.. Many have framerarate issiues and crap..

Play them on their original consoles is the best way to roll.

I agree with the OP. I just don't like playing old games anymore. Maybe it's because I played the shit out of them the first time round.

I've never suffered from this issue. I LOVE playing older games. I pull out my copy of SCUMMVM at least once a year and re-play some of my favorite point-and-clicks.

But then, I've always had a pretty strong sense of nostalgia. I was old before I was actually old.

I don't get much how nostalgia you can have the PSP... it's only like 7 years old. But I think what the issue might be, is that a lot of people perceive nostalgia. To me, nostalgia is nothing more than a test of how well a game stands the test of time to you.

Like, I used to have fond memories of playing a lot of multiplayer games on the N64 with my buddies back in the day. Recently, someone busted out an N64 at a party and we were all shocked to see how... average the game is. Yes, we were a bit drunk but still, it wasn't anything like any of us remember it to be. Then we popped in Mario Kart 64 and had some serious fun, just as good as the old days.

So I'd it's not that you don't feel nostalgic anymore, it's just that the games you used to like probably didn't stand the test of time very well in your perspective.

I still get the urge to play an oldschool game several times a year. I don't think I'll ever lose the "nostalgia bug." I will admit my playtime with older games has declined in the past few years, but that's got to do with having less time to play games.

Oh my god, you and me both. I actually just restarted the first LoK this weekend.

sigh... one day the US will get Mother 3. Hopefully a nice 3DS version? C'mon Nintendo don't you see people want to play the sequel to Earthbound!

OP - I cant go back either.

For me, the old games are only fun when I'm around friends and family, and we can ham it up about high scores in Pacman or how awesome missle command was back in the 80s.

For me, playing those games alone completely sucks.

[quote name='Vinny']So I'd it's not that you don't feel nostalgic anymore, it's just that the games you used to like probably didn't stand the test of time very well in your perspective.[/QUOTE]

Like Vinny said, this could be a blessing in disguise. The reason I'm often caught revisiting an old game like F-Zero GX is that I genuinely feel no other game in its genre has surpassed it in any significant way. I would love for another game to make F-Zero GX seem outdated by comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back