Not a validate copy of windows xp. How can I fix this?

thefallingscream

CAGiversary!
My cousin gave me a free windows xp desktop. I've been using ubuntu for 2 years now,but I wouldn't mind playing pc games again. Everytime I turn this computer on a message appears. It says that this is not a validate copy of xp. I can't connect to the web at all and I can't install new programs. Any way to fix this? I don't really need it,but it would be nice to have a back up pc.

Unless it has a Windows XP COA 25 digit key on the back, your only legal option is to reinstall the machine with a branded disc. For example, if it's a Dell, there's Dell branded Windows XP discs, HP/Compaq and I think older Gateway discs. They check to see if it's the right brand.

If you're looking for illegal ways, you're asking the wrong board.

If it's a dell, there should be a Microsoft Authenticity sticker somewhere on it. Give a ring to the microsoft authorization line (google it), and then they'll just ask for the code asking what you need the disk for (just say reinstall) and they'll authorize it on their end

Honestly I don't think MS is going to go after you if you had 1 pirated copy of their OS...now if your work place had 30 machines running pirated copies or if you sold them, then yea you become a blip on their radar.

bread's done
Back