not enough Silent Hill hype I say~!!

JEKKI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Silent Hill Shattered Memories is supposed to come out October 13...

it looks great! check it out, saw these on the gaf:

Playthrough 1

Playthrough 2

it's the same stage, but the videos exhibit the subtle differences the player experiences depending on the psychological profile they develop of themself during the game.

day 1!!

Classical survival horror is dead. This may be the last generation of home consoles to see them at retail. But what a way to go out though. This looks to be one of the purest survival horror experiences ever.

Le sigh.

I love horror games. But I'm an incredible pussy when it comes to them.

Horror movies? Horror books? No. It's a game-specific thing. I know that moving forward is going to make the zombie dog jump through the window. Why should I move forward? fuck that! I'm just gonna stay back here. See? Back here, I'm fine. I still have ammunition in my gun and blood in my jugular. So fuck that, I'm staying here.

It's hard to be sure from video, but the control looks a little awkward. But I'm still planning to give it a shot. I do like how the game changes based on your profile.

[quote name='kube00']I'll keep the series on ps3/ps2/psx thank you very much[/QUOTE]the game is coming out for PS2 and PSP also.

freakin haters... why do u guys dislike good things?

[quote name='kube00']I'll keep the series on ps3/ps2/psx thank you very much[/QUOTE]

Silent Hill hasn't been Sony-exclusive since the first game, dude. Grow up, fanboy.

Thanks for posting this Jekki! I've been trying to get my wife to hop on the wii train- this is the kind of game she really digs :) Looks awesome!

[quote name='LostRoad']Wait.. why are there two scripts for this game? Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

At the beginning of the game there's a psychological evaluation. Parts of the game will change depending on your answers.

It looks cool but I'm terrible at Survival Horror games. I always get stuck somewhere... except in RE4/5, which really weren't Survival Horror.

Will definitely get it, but on PS2.

I'm not a Sony fanboy.. I own Silent Hill 2 on XBox, Silent Hill 3 on PC, and Silent Hill 4 on XBox.. but I also own Silent Hill 2 and 3 on PS2, so I do kinda want to keep it on the same system. Besides, the Wii remote looks like it'd be a little wonky/annoying for the flashlight.

The only Silent Hill I played through was the first one, which was a damn good game. I have the 2nd and 4th ones, but havent been able to get through them because of other games. However, I played through some of Homecoming on 360 and I was disappointed at how weird the combat is. Plus it really wasnt scary to me, just slightly creepy. Fortunately, the new Silent Hill looks to be a good survival horror game.

the combat was hella easy in homecoming.

equip the knife and mash the X button all day as everyone around you dies.

seriously, that knife was too broken.

I liked Homecoming. Thought it was a fun survival horror game, no where near the older Silent Hills Level(cept 4 i hated 4) but still a fun game. I will agree the knife was broken but meh that game had some cool moments.

Silent Hill Wii is my #1 game for the fall. There are other hot looking titles (I'm also very curious about The Grudge, for example) but none that comes close to Silent Hill. Sure hope they pull off a top-tier game!

That said, I'm staying far away from those playthroughs - the less I know going in, the better. Hopefully it'll scare my pants off (or at least my wife's pants... that'd be good too!)

I'm really on the edge here. I'm looking at it thinking. "BEST GAME EVER" But at the same time I'm thinking "WHAT IF IT'S NOT OH GOD OH GOD" I'm probably going to jump on it very soon but I have some questions none of you will probably be able to answer.

Is Amazon getting a preorder bonus and will I get the preorder bonus if I make my order before the preorder bonus becomes available?

I've also read things don't just change based on your evaluation in the beginning. You'll get more and more tests through the game. Also depending on how you act and what you do through the game will change things. Like if there's a bang and you turn to see if something is coming the game will do it more often just to mess with you, or if you tend to look away from certain colors those colors will become more and more prevalent throughout the game.

I heard the bad thing about the game is that it's not that great of survival horror.

like, the story is great,

but since you cannot fight in the game, there is a very clear distinction of when you are and aren't safe.

and even when you are under attack, the game mechanics is just reach point B from point A... and I guess you can knock over bookshelves on the way...

Im still getting the game regardless.

Game is awesome, worth dusting your Wii off for! I'm walking around the lake right now, was freaked out hardcore running through the first "nightmare" and I love the Psychology feature implemented and how it adapt, just more so creepy to see a game change so much to your answers.

Played for about 4 and a half hours last night... only stopped because I needed to go to sleep.

I love this game. Love it. It's not going to be for everyone though, and you need to have a fondness for just exploring. I'd say the game isn't what I expected, but that doesn't seem quite fair, as I don't think anyone would 'expect' this game. It's refreshing, it's interesting, it's innovative, and it's one hell of a great game. If you own a Wii and don't at least try it out, you're doing yourself a great disservice and should never get to complain that the Wii doesn't have any good adult games.

It's also, hands-down, the best looking Wii game out there. For the first time in a while, I can say that I'm truly excited to replay a game, just to see the changes. I'm gushing over this game, and yet I haven't even seen the true implementation of their biggest innovation yet (the psychological profiling), which should tell you something.

If you go into this expecting anything like the other Silent Hill games, you'll be disappointed. I know I said this already, but I'm going to take it a step further: this is one of the first games that I've played where someone that made it finally 'got' how to use the Wii. From the visuals to the controls, even down to the slightly cribbed use of the Wiimote as telephone (thanks, No More Heroes!), it just feels right. I realize how that sounds, but you really have to play it to understand. All I know is that all third party Wii games have a new standard to live up to, which I think is going to lead to some disappointing months (years, likely).

Bottom line: Play it. It may not be for everyone, which I can't stress enough, but you should at least give it a shot. Easily my favorite non-Nintendo Wii game, and surely one of the best the Wii has to offer in general. Psychology Warning!

[quote name='The Crotch']So... not recommended for those of us who are pussies when it comes to horror games?[/QUOTE]

Eh, I personally didn't find the game to be all that scary, but I've never been one to be 'shaken' by games. It's more an atmospheric kind of scare, not really the 'boogity' kind.

So, beat the game for the first time last night, my thoughts haven't changed. Play this. Oh, and I'm the only person that played this and REALLY felt this engine could be the basis for an amazing Shenmue 3?

yeah i beat the game.....loved it...recommended for the hardcore silent hill fans...i played the first one on the ps1 10 years ago and this game still scares the shit outta me to this day

whooo! I beat it!

I gotta say, the game was actually really awesome.

at first I hated it. I did not like the controls, the map system was ass, and the nightmare parts were horrible...

that was thrusday... finally picked it back up today.

I adjusted to the controls so I was ok with that.

map still sucks... so I jus stopped using it, as I think most ppl should when playing this game. Once u get into nightmare mode, dont even bother with the map. Just run... dont even think, jus keep running til you miraculously reach the exit.

the game is designed well enough so you wont get lost, and it's crazy how they can deliver such a good game based around no other game mechanic other than jus walking around and looking at things. The story does a great job at taking inspiration from established SH characteristics and flipping them in a new way, and the game is short enough to not piss a gamer off for hours of aimless wandering.

overall great game for both silent hill and gamers looking for a more horror type of game. Definitely do not go into the game thinking it will build upon establish SH lore, but really try to appreciate the game for what it is trying to do.

I was planning on waiting for a price drop on this game, but the more I read about it, the more I want to buy it!

I know that Gamestop had the soundtrack with the preorders. What do they do with the extra soundtracks? Will they give you a soundtrack if they have any left after the game is released, or are they strict about only giving it out with preorders? If I'm going to pay $50 for the game, I'd like to get the soundtrack too.

[quote name='chiwii']I was planning on waiting for a price drop on this game, but the more I read about it, the more I want to buy it!

I know that Gamestop had the soundtrack with the preorders. What do they do with the extra soundtracks? Will they give you a soundtrack if they have any left after the game is released, or are they strict about only giving it out with preorders? If I'm going to pay $50 for the game, I'd like to get the soundtrack too.[/QUOTE]

You may be SOL on that front, especially given that it's been out for a week already. Two reasons: One, if they had any left over, they likely already got snagged. Two, from my own experience, I called both GameStops in my area, and I got the same answer twice: they got a very low number of pre-orders (like 2-4, total) and got the exact number of soundtracks they needed.

*In the middle of writing this, I checked on something and discovered that the PS2 version was pushed back until January... so you might be able to work something out with that, given that GameStop still has the soundtrack listed as a bonus online, and both my GameStops already had soundtracks and told me that half of the pre-orders were for PS2.

The only thing worth keeping the rumble on for is to locate the 'disturbances' in an area, but you can really figure those out from just looking around/the light getting dimmer.

Outside of that, I can't see much of a reason to advocate leaving it on if you're inclined to want to ditch it.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Does rumble have any functional value? I normally have it off but if will be helpful somehow I'll consider turning it back on.[/QUOTE]

I think you should leave it on. It helps with those disturbance parts, but that's not my main reason. There was a point in the game where rumble was integral to progressing forward. If I had the rumble off, then I extremely doubt that I would have been able to progress any further in the game. I know that sounds vague, but that's still probably too much information when it comes to the genius of this game.

I got this game for Christmas and played it for about 3-4 days in a row until I beat it. LOVED the game. The map system was shitty as some people have noted, and when you are running it can get frustrating, but I am a huge fan of old school adventure games, and this had that feel with the psychological twist.

Highly recommend but due to its short play time, I must admit that if I hadn't gotten it as a gift, I would've hesitated to pay full price. If you like graphic adventure games and horror games (but don't need all the gore), this game is made for you. There's really nothing I can compare it to in that respect.

I didn't love this game. I certainly didn't hate it. The story is good, the controls work well, and the game looks and sounds great.

However, I was unpleasantly surprised by how linear this game is. When you're walking around, your path is basically dictated by the piles of snow and locked doors. You rarely get to choose where you're going to go. Based on the videos that I saw, I assumed that the game would require exploring and investigating to figure out what's going on. It doesn't. The environments are set up to lead you right where you need to go, except for the nightmare sequences, where you will probably find yourself just running in circles.

Many people think this game is replayable because the game changes based on how you answer the psych. evaluations and how you play. However, I have no desire to play through the game again just to get a few changes to the characters and the ending. It's just too linear, and the nightmare sequences are too frustrating.

By the way, I wouldn't worry about being scared by this game. I didn't find it scary at all.

IMO, the game is worth a rental, maybe $20-$30 if you really like this type of game. It's not worth $50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got this for Christmas and played furiously for about a week. Easily one of my favorites in the SH series. Great story. AMAZING controls (once you get used to shaking the enemies off of you). Great atmosphere.

I got this game recently. I've played about an hours worth and really liked it up until I realized your character has no defense against the hording ice minions other than the Wii's wonky-ass 'shake off' controls. Please tell me that this isn't a reoccurring thing in this game. If so I may not be able to finish it.

No weapons? Not even a lousy plank of wood?

bread's done
Back