Not exactly game related: GREAT deal on Sanyo Eneloop batteries

Great deal! I use Eneloops for almost everything, they are phenomenal. I never understood why people buy the charge kits for the 360 controllers when you can get a package like this that's cheaper and more useful.

[quote name='addone']Wait, how did you pick up 2 when its 1 discount per customer?[/QUOTE]

I ordered twice

This is the same bundle I got from Costco two years ago.

It goes without saying, they're the best rechargeables I've ever gotten handily beating out all the other ones I've got in the past. It was worth whatever I paid for them and at this price it's a bargain at half the price!

Actually, I just ordered a THIRD one to be shipped to my brother for his birthday. Makes a great gift! Well, at least I thought so ;)

Wow, that is pretty good.

I'd be all over this, but I just bought a 6xAA and 2xAAA combo pack at Costco. I would've got this Dell deal if I'd known sooner. I could use the extra charger & more AAA's.

Damn that is one sweet deal. I got 4XAA eneloop with charger from Dell at the beginning of the year for $ 26. I don't remember Dell offering this package when I got my eneloop from them.

Really? REALLY? I just bought the same bundle about a month ago for an extra $15... I might just pick this up though. Extra batteries + a charger for my parents and me is worth it.

This are one of the best batteries you can buy....very game related to me since I use them in almost everything game related that I can. I picked up 5 packs of these at Costco (4xAA, 2xAAA, 4 C-D adapers) for $16 a pack.

The Eneloop is one the better NiMH batteries out there because it reduces self-discharge (which is why you can use them out of the pack without charging first).
Ever grab a set of batteries you charged 3 weeks ago only to find them dead? A low self-discharge battery lasts a lot longer....like when I leave them in my Wii remote for weeks on end and they still work great.

I use to only buy high capacity batteries but I learned my lesson.
For those interest in some more reading:
http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

+1 to the quality of 4xAA Eneloops. Never had a problem with them except that the first sets I bought are starting to die after 2-3 years regular use.

The deal is okay if you need AAA or a charger, but Shoppers Drug Mart's occasional 6.99-8.99 for 4xAA Rechargeable Duracells (re-branded Eneloops) is better.

Best is to buy one pack with charger, one pack with the C and D cases (which have been fine, but I've never tried them in anything really high powered), and stock on Duracells as they go on sale.

These are the best batteries in existence. Period. I put these in my Wiimotes and they can sit there for a month and still have almost a full charge, where my other rechargeable are beyond drained. Makes it really easy for me to use my limited game time and I know I'll be able to actually play.

And why do I use the X360 packs instead of AAs in the controller? It's a pain to get the batteries back out once you have them in! Seriously, I can't count the times batteries have gotten stuck inside. It's much easier to deal with the packs in that case.

I order from Thomas distributing all the time. They have reasonable shipping. The Hyrbio and Powerex batteries are actually better than the eneloops.

I also hate 'branded' chargers that come with batteries, as they only work for those batteries. They usually charge on a timer, instead of by measuring the batteries voltage level. (That is why they always come with a warning, "only use this charger with these batteries). They also usually charge all batteries equally. They don't cycle or refresh batteries either.

It is totally worth it to buy a real charger like a Powerex 9000, or a LaCross 700 or 900 model charger. They can bring dead rechargebles back to life. Also, instead of wondering how good an old rechargable is, these chargers can actually measure that.

~S

I don't know of any stores that sell the LaCrosse in Canada, but paulsfinest.com sells the Maha Powerex c9000 charger, which is arguably the best NiMH/NiCd charger on the market. I would recommend the charger + 8 Imedion batteries combo pack. I actually prefer the Imedions to the Eneloops, as they are both very similar Low-self Discharge designs but the Imedions have 2100mah vs the Eneloops 2000mah. Both are great though. I'll also mention that this site has some of the best customer service I've ever experienced when buying online.

All these products are also available on Amazon.com via Goomba :)

Yikes, I'm not sure 8-AA batteries and the C9000 charger worth 4 times the amount as the Eneloops package mentioned in this thread. I'm sure that package is better overall, but I just don't think they're 4 times better.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Yikes, I'm not sure 8-AA batteries and the C9000 charger worth 4 times the amount as the Eneloops package mentioned in this thread. I'm sure that package is better overall, but I just don't think they're 4 times better.[/QUOTE]

The batteries are definately not 4x better, but they are a pretty good deal in the combo pack (You're paying about $21 for 8 batteries)

The charger is definately much, much better, easily offering 4x+++ more features, but it kinda depends on what your needs are. If you just want to recharge the batteries and replace them when they eventually run out, then pretty much any decent 1hour+ smart charger will do the trick.

The C9000 is more for people who want the extra features offered by it, such as discharging, cycling and break-in modes, as well as people who want to know how healthy their batteries are. It can also be used to restore bad batteries (within reason) and it might save you some money in the long run (probably never save enough to justify the original cost, though)

So, I guess it's worth is dependant on your needs.

Yeah my needs are pretty basic, really. I just use Eneloops in my camera (which barely gets used, at any rate) in remotes, controllers, mice, keyboards, small stuff of that nature. Maybe when I'm older and I have more scrilla I'll splurge on the good stuff :D

Yes, the MH-C9000 is a good charger but definitely can be a bit overkill if you don't need all the capacity testing & discharge features. It is nice though being able to test your batteries periodically to keep tabs on how they're holding up or to pick out failed batteries or batteries that might have significantly lower capacity than the others. But yeah, for just general purpose charging you can get away with a lot less charger. It is a good idea to look for one that can charge each cell individually though, as most cheap chargers will charge in pairs, which means one of the two batteries in each pair might not be getting a complete charge or might even be getting overcharged a bit. For example, if you don't need all the testing features, PowerEx's MH-C401FS charger is a good basic charger that still gives you independent charging on all 4 channels for almost half the cost of the C9000.

Also, FWIW, we actually went through and tested a bunch of batteries from different brands when PhotonLight.com was first looking into carrying PowerEx products and were a bit surprised to discover that unlike most manufacturers who seem to exagerate their battery capacities a bit, PowerEx tends to actually be pretty conservative in their ratings. In fact, the 2100mAh Imedion AA's we tested actually measured closer to 2200mAh.

Last edited by a moderator:
The C9000 is definitely great. But the lacrosse's are a great cheap alternative. I have owned both. You can pick up a lacrosse 700/900 (either are good) for $30 on ebay... actually, now that I have my c9000 I would be will to sell my BC-700. PM me if you want it.

The charger that comes with batteries is fine... for those exact batteries. Generally it should charge almost as well as a lacrosse or powerex. What they don't do is a top up charge, or recondition batteries. Not a huge deal. What is a big deal IMHO is not being able to charge other batteries brands and capacities.

~S

I dont think that's entirely true. While I doubt that charger would be ideal for other batteries, basically any NIMH AA/AAA charger can charge any NIMH AA/AAA battery. The big downside is that most of these smart chargers will not get a battery higher than about 90% of its capacity. In fact I kinda doubt it would get even the Eneloops up to full capacity but I may be wrong. I used to use an Energizer charger for all my batteries (pre-C9000) and never ran into any problems.

Most freebie chargers use a simple timer to know when to stop charging. So if your charger came with 2200mAh batteries, then putting 2500mAh batteries in it would only charge them 70% of what they should be. Consistantly putting them in that charger will given them 'memory'. Yes, I know non-nicads don't develop memory as quickly, but they still do. Also, putting say 1800mAh in that charger will over charge them and siginificantly reduce their life.

Good chargers measure the level of the battery to know when to stop charging.

~S

Yeah, a good charger will at the very least base end-of-charge on the voltage of the battery being charged. Some, like the MH-C9000, also have individual temperature sensors to detect when the battery is full by the way the battery's temperature begins to rise when it reaches a full charge. The Lacrosse charger also has a temperature sensor, although I believe just one sensor for all four batteries, so I'm not sure if it's actually used to monitor end-of-charge, or just as a safety cut-off to slow down charging if things start to get hot.

If you get a good, quality charger, you should be able to charge any brand of battery with it. Those warnings by manufacturers most likely come from the fact that there are a lot of junk chargers out there and they probably don't want to deal with the possibility of replacing batteries damaged by customers charging them with dollar-store quality chargers.

Although I haven't researched this particular charger that's included in the pack, I just assume it's a smart charger because it's a 1-hour charger. I'm not aware of any timed chargers that can charge that quickly, as ~2000mah given to a partially discharge battery would cause big problems.

bread's done
Back