Not supported mode on Samsung TV

wwjasond

CAGiversary!
I encountered the following problem tonight. Played a couple of arcade demos for less than 1 hour then spent some time tooling around with NXE and finally was about to install Madden onto my hard drive after deleting numerous items as a test. Unfortunately I didnt hit Y when I went to do so and the game started to load. Since this was not what I wanted I pulled up the guide and hit Y to take me back to the dash. That's when it started. I could not get back to the dash after 2 tries and it appeared the system had frozen. I manually powered down and attempted to restart only to get the 360 to fire up and my Samsung TV display the message "Not Supported Mode." Tried several times unsuccessfully to get it work. After about an hour and no disk in the drive, it booted up for a moment and as soon as I opened the drive to insert the disk, my Not Supported Mode message reappeared. In the couple of hours since, same message regardless of what I've done: disk/no disk in the drive, switching the TV/HDTV switch, unplugging the Xbox component or power cables, unplugging the cables from the TV. I have also noticed that it takes almost a minute for the Xbox to fully power down after this episode tonight. Something is still running after the power button goes out and the power button even flashes once (like when its off but downloading) before finally powering off. I will admit that I have been using it in a mostly sealed entertainment stand but it had not given me any problems before tonight even when I logged several consecutive hours a couple weeks ago. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping my Feb 06 purchase would hold out until the smaller (slim) heating units become available.

I'm no expert with the 360 by any stretch, but I'm guessing your 360's video has failed. Keeping a 360 in an enclosed tight area is not good for it, given the heat that it produces. You should probably try to troubleshoot first:

1. Try running it on another Television
2. Try another video cable
3. Unplug peripherals (hard drive, etc.) and then turn it on

I'm sure others can tell you that some systems have had issues with video going out, and in some instances, the cable was the culprit.

Try the tests and let us know what your results are.

Hope this helps.

"I will admit that I have been using it in a mostly sealed entertainment stand"

EPIC fail I rest my case ladies and gentlemen of the jury.

#1. Put 360 in more well ventilated area
#2. take the 360's Hard drive off.
#3. Re-connect everything
#4. Power on using your controller
#5. Make sure no disk is in drive.
#6. are you connected to an SDTV or an HDTV LCD or Plasma? keep switch on SDTV mode.

Well first let me plea my insanity down to stupidity by stating that since it was placed in the enclosed entertainment center 3 months ago, I have logged less than 20 hours, 6 of which occurred in an 8 hour span over a month ago with the entertainment center door ajar. Prior to that, it had roamed freely in the windswept valleys of the top of my old TV stand.

Now to the results... switched TVs to no avail. Moved from LCD to Plasma without hard drive and even connected it using composite cables. No luck though the TV does respond when the Xbox connected through composite is turned on. The screen flickers but nothing after that. I dont have any other video cables to try so I cannot verify that it is the cables.

Thanks for the help so far. Any more ideas?

reset the TV setting keep hitting source

if your 360 can not out put any image even by using composite It might be toast.

Only option now is try casusing the 3 red rins so microsft can fix it.

Also there might be some other option that "reset's the 360 back to factory settings

Something like Holding down B on the controller as you Boot Google it.

So the reset according to Microsoft.com is Y and Right Trigger. That did not fix it. Am I better off getting a new one or paying for repairs? Of course, the damn thing wouldnt die before my Best Buy 2 warranty was up in February but now when I'm about to have some free time I finally get the full xbox experience... new or old.

So your Best Buy warranty expired?

call Microsoft a fix is just $50 and you get another full year coverage on your new fixed unit.

Plus ask for a "concession" or "compensation" thats insider lingo for free stuff.

heres a list of the free stuff I've gotten from Microsoft due to my many broken down 360's in no particular order.

3 new Power Bricks
5 New 360 Controllers 1 Black 4 white
free VGA HD Cables
1600 Microsoft points
2 Vision LIVE Cams
PGR3 2x's
PGR 4
Kameo 1
Viva PInata 2x's
Messenger Chat Pad
Wireless Mic
about $40 bucks in rebate checks
$100 back refund because I paid for a repair that I should not have

Note: repairs are $100 but you can easily talk a superivsor into doing t for $50 or $25 or free even if your out of Warranty.

I love how Microsoft outsources its Repair techs 1 (800) 4 MY XBOX Calls to India or the Phillipines. With the worst English speaking people possible

bread's done
Back