Not very CAG-like, weekend RPG purchases.

asaraa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
112 (100%)
After reading about many of these games here on CAG, I had recently sold a bunch of stuff on eBay so I had some extra money. Sometimes the hunt is more fun than the actual games. Although I feel a bit guilty about spending so much money, here are the weekend pick-ups:

(1) Disgaea ($40 with Edge card). Everything looks like it's never been touched. The first EB I went to had 3 used copies!

(2) Phantom Brave SE + strategy guide ($16.20 w/ Edge card. Guide was $3.99 with 20% discount). Again the game had never been touched. Pristine.

(3) Now I was on a roll so I decided to to go for the trifecta: La Pucelle Tactics. Found it at another EB. Complete and in VG to EX cond. One light surface scratch on the disc. ($22.49 with EDGE)

(4) In my travels, I had noticed the Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne guide and that it was quite cool. Tracked down a used, perfect copy with the bonus soundtrack disc ($40 with Edge). Didn't get the guide yet, as the EB where I got the game had just one beat up copy.

I've briefly tried them all out, but giving Nocturne the most (2 hours). Anyway I'd appreciate comments on the games, suggestions on which to play first, etc. I hadn't spent that much money on games in a long time (definitely since joing this site), without trade in deals. I've read the reviews, but am curious to hear fellow gamer's opinions on these games. Thanks in advance.

Those prices aren't bad, at all. Nocturne and Disgaea is worth the $50, as they are both great RPGs (or in Disagea's case, TRPG). La Pucelle Tactics is good, but play through that before you play through Disgaea, as Disgaea is a better version of La Pucelle's combat system. I haven't played Phantom Brave yet, but that is a good price for the game and guide.

Good luck finding the SMT: Nocturne guide, since you might need it.

Nice finds. Those rpgs take so long to complete... I would start with SMT because I believe it is the shortest, which isn't saying much as it's a long game. I would then start with Disgaea and move on from there.

yeah, those nippon ichi SRPGs are quite addicting.
Those are all great games.

You could easily spend as much time in Nocturne as any of the NISers. I put 80 hours into Nocturne and I only got one of the 5 endings. And you have to play the game over from beginning to end to get any individual ending. And there was some extra stuff that seemed impossibly hard so I didnt do it.

Those are actually pretty good deals, and about as good a price on each as you will find. Just be prepared for each and every one of them to hand you an arse-whopping. You can sink massive hours into all of them, and they will all punish you with some mad difficulty at times. Unless, of course, you're willing to put in some serious leveling up time.

Basically, between all of them, you have enough game time to last you the rest of your life :)

Can anyone tell me about SMT:N? All i know is that it's fairly hard and that you can get Dante, but don't get to play as him for very long. What about the battle system, story etc.?

I can only speak for Disgaea, which I thought was a great game. I loved the story, it was very funny. It is so deep that you can probably play that game forever :)

bread's done
Back