Notebook and Camera

towpeas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Fellow CAG's it's time for me to get a new Notebook and Camera and while I could poor through tons of reviews I'd prefer to get input from users I trust and can ask questions.

So first a bit of info, the current notebook I have is one from my job, and while I'm not getting fired or in danger of losing my job I want my own for travel. This summer I'll be spending two weeks over in Germany and a few other places and I'd like some way to upload photos to my server, and do some blogging. Now I was looking at a netbook and I'm not adverse to the thought so feel free to recommend those as well, but I'm limited on what I can do with the netbook. I highly doubt any netbook can currently run Dreamweaver or Photoshop, which I do use a lot for work.

I was looking at a Macbook, which I'm not adverse to and I currently have an old iMac, like ten years old, and I have a current license to the Adobe Master Collection for both PC and Mac. So either one would be great for work, the whole thing boils down to lugging something around like I said for my trip to Germany.

Second item on the list was a Digital Camera, currently I have Cannon EOS 50D, while it rocks I don't want to drag that over to Germany. The less I take the better. So if anyone could recommend a good Digital Camera I'd appreciate that as well.

Wouldn't you want to take the 50D when you go traveling? I'm trying to travel just so I can bring the DSLR along. =) If you want to keep the bulk down you can just buy a 28 or a 35mm prime and just bring that.

If you still think it's too big, I don't know how small you want to go. The Olympus Pen is more compact but still a tad bulky. The Canon G10/G11 gives you the manual control and is lighter than the Pen/50D. Personally I was looking into getting a Lumix ZX3 to accompany my T1i.

The reason the SLR is too big for me is during that time I'll be plane hopping from Berlin to Rome for a day. Then from Rome I jump to Paris and from Paris to Dublin, then back to Berlin for the remainder of the trip. During those few days where I'm plane hopping I'll be carrying a backpack and nothing else.

And seeing as how I'll be doing a lot, and I must stress the a lot of drinking, if my camera gets messed up I'd be less apt. to cry over a small digital. My 50D and lenses is a bit pricey and not something I want to destroy. As for having a friend watch my stuff I do have a buddy in Berlin I'm staying with, but when I go to the other destinations I'm on my own.

I see. If you just want a cheap one then yeah, I think they're pretty much all the same. I just wanted the Lumix because I heard it was good but I really don't know why. The Pen and G10/G11 seem out of your price range, though.

bread's done
Back