Notification Sounds - Why is Microsoft not making money off these?

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
Okay, this probably won't be a popular idea on CAG, but I think Microsoft is missing out on a money making opportunity here. We're all familiar with the Nofication sound that pops up when you get an Achievement, or a friend signs in, or you get a message, etc. Well, why not allow for changes to these sounds?

It would be great if Microsoft would just let us use whatever sound clips we wanted, but this is a money making and marketing opportunity here. I think they could sell "Notification Sounds" on the marketplace and make just as much money as they do selling gamer pics and themes.

You could buy different sounds from games, movies, tv shows, etc. and be able to assign them to different notifications. For example, have one sound for Achievements and another sound for a Game Invite. Hell, even let us assign individual sounds to people on our friends list.

They could really use this as a marketing tool like the gamerpics and themes that they just had for Family Guy. I know I would have downloaded some sound clips from Family Guy to notify me when I got an Achievement: "Freakin' Sweet" anyone?

I don't know, I just think Microsoft is missing an opportunity to take some more cash out of my pocket.

[quote name='the3rdkey']I can see it now...

EA sounds will cost 800 points![/QUOTE]

That would be the Madden "Boom" pack.

I'd be down for a Star Wars package .
Darth Vader saying "impressive" when I get an acheivement , would be freakin' sweet .

pretty cool idea as long each sound is like 20-30 points. That would awesome if you could record your own via the headset, or transfer a short mp3/wma clip from a cd/flash drive to use.

Sounds dangerous. There already is some overhead involved in the OS along with blades and notifications and everything else. I bet they are very picky and specific about keeping it all within a certain limit. Introducing things like different sounds could alter that an affect performance in games.

That being said, even if not true, I've never been one to give a shit about customization. Buying themes have never made sense to me either.

The nice thing is though that if they do this then just like with gamerpics and themes a lot of companies would make them free for doing something or other

[quote name='dafoomie']They could also sell you your very own theme song, like one of those fake wrestlers. You win a round, your song plays.[/QUOTE]

now THAT would be awesome

This topic was discussed many moons ago, and I'll reiterate what I said back then:

I want some crazy sounding guitar solo as a glam rock singer screams "YEEEAHHHHH" while J Allard's voice says "DUDE! THAT'S SO RAD!! TAKE IT TO THE MAX!!!!!!!!"

[quote name='Richlough']I'd be down for a Star Wars package .
Darth Vader saying "impressive" when I get an acheivement , would be freakin' sweet .[/QUOTE]

It'd be sweeter if it said "Most Impressive"

[quote name='Corvin']It'd be sweeter if it said "Most Impressive"[/QUOTE]
And it would be even sweeter than that if he said "YEAH! Let's get some tits and ass up in here! Let's ROCK!"

I don't really want to be in the middle of watching a cutscene, and hear "awww yeah, boyeeeee" when some asshole on my friends list keeps signing on and off.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I don't really want to be in the middle of watching a cutscene, and hear "awww yeah, boyeeeee" when some asshole on my friends list keeps signing on and off.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I don't really want to be in the middle of watching a cutscene, and hear "awww yeah, boyeeeee" when some asshole on my friends list keeps signing on and off.[/QUOTE]

You would be the one setting the notification sound, not them. It's just an extra option for those people that are tired of hearing the same sound all the time.

Only way I would pay if it was like a dollar. No way that shit's worth any more than that...alright, maybe 2.

bread's done
Back