CAGiversary!
DS sold 918,000
PS2 sold 664,000
GBA sold 641,000
Xbox 360 sold 511,000
Wii sold 476,000
PSP sold 412,000
PS3 sold 197,000

Nintendo sold over 2 million pieces of hardware last month. What will stop the GBA?

no walmart isn't included...i thought reggie said they sold 600k wii at launch, so I guess that the 125k was sold at walmart, or he was exagerating. Much like msft and there 10mill unit goal by the end of the year. This week several of there top people (moore, allard) have come out and said they were still on target after the very strong thnks weekend sales. They might have had a strong weekend at the end of the month, but if that is the case wtf happened the rest of the month

[quote name='rodeojones903']Walmart is not included in the NPD numbers correct? If so I bet we can up those by about 1/3 for all the systems.[/QUOTE]
It is not, but i think they estimated the number for walmart.

Oh, I guess that makes sense. NPD covers the US, Reggie's numbers were for North America. So about 120k Wiis sold in Canada and 42k Zeldas.

And with Zelda selling 412k in the US: 87% attach rate.

My martial arts/stunt instructor just bought a PS2. Not sure why; he's like 55+ years old. I gave him my Soul Calibur II. He also bought Black and SOCOM.
I bought DS's for my mom and father-in-law this month as Christmas presents. I've bought 5 DS's in all (two for me, one for wife, and those two).

Wal-Mart isn't the only one's not included in those sales... I believe NPD tracks only 60% of all retail sales (Wal-Mart probably makes up a large part of the remaining 40%).

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Who the fuck keeps buying PS2's? Everyone and their grandma should have 2 buy now.[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing but them a guy at work asked me if now was a good time to buy the PS2. I was like WTF but then I thought about it and it kind of makes sense - you can get a PS2 and a bunch of GREAT games for less than $200 and be set for months. Still, I thought everyone had one by now too...

More than that, who buys GBAs? The only reason to have one is to play older games, like GBC games. Since playing those old games isn't really mainstream, I have to think soccer moms aren't the ones buying them for little Timmy and Suzy. I guess ... the price?

I think GBAs go for younger kids -- who parents think won't be able to grasp the touchscreen. Think of all those cartoon carts, too. It's a cheap alternative to a portable DVD player for shutting kids up for an hour or two.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Who the fuck keeps buying PS2's? Everyone and their grandma should have 2 buy now.[/QUOTE]

It's still got strong software support, and it's the cheapest active console, so it makes sense. Not unexpected at all that it was the best selling "big" console. It would have been shocking it if wasn't. Heck, it might be again next year. (That Sony has real backwards compatibility also makes it much less risky to continue to support it.)

[quote name='furyk']So much for Gears of War moving 360s....[/QUOTE]

It did. 360 sold really well. Moving nearly as many units as the Playstation 2 is really something-especially when the 360 costs more than 3x more.

The GBA's not surprising either, though it is totally stupid. I don't know what kind of math makes sense to spend $80 on a basically dead system when for $40 more you get the new system that plays all the old system's games.

Yes, the GBAs are most likely being bought for the kiddies.

My sister wants to pick up my 8 year old niece a pink GBA SP for Christmas, and then later get a DS. But I think I finally was able to convince her that just getting a DS Lite would be the best option.

[quote name='yukine']Yes, the GBAs are most likely being bought for the kiddies.

My sister wants to pick up my 8 year old niece a pink GBA SP for Christmas, and then later get a DS. But I think I finally was able to convince her that just getting a DS Lite would be the best option.[/QUOTE]

Yay! It's cheaper in the long (err...short) run :)

A lot of those GBA's are all the micros that were sold on BF. At 50 units per store across 3,000 Walmarts and 600 TRUs that is 180,000 units right there.

[quote name='furyk']So much for Gears of War moving 360s....[/QUOTE]
What the fuck? Half a million consoles isn't "moving?"

[quote name='Demontooth']I broke down and bought Zelda today so 87.1%[/quote]
Damn. How many copies did you buy?

[quote name='Wolfpup']It did. 360 sold really well. Moving nearly as many units as the Playstation 2 is really something-especially when the 360 costs more than 3x more.

The GBA's not surprising either, though it is totally stupid. I don't know what kind of math makes sense to spend $80 on a basically dead system when for $40 more you get the new system that plays all the old system's games.[/quote]
150,000 units difference is close?

Any, here's a better source for sales.

Console Month Total
DS 1,037,500 8,497,000
PS2 783,500 41,871,000
GBA 759,500 39,158,500
X360 567,500 3,775,500
Wii 547,500 547,500
PSP 465,500 6,460,500
PS3 226,000 226,000
GC 68,000 12,303,500
XB 8,000 15,890,500

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What the fuck? Half a million consoles isn't "moving?"[/quote]Well, relatively speaking, no. It actually had the smallest sales increase from the previous month (minus the dead GC and XB).

Console October November % increase
DS 407,000 1,037,500 255%
PS2 277,500 783,500 282%
X360 242,000 567,500 235%
GBA 200,500 759,500 379%
PSP 147,000 465,500 317%
GC 37,000 68,000 184%
XB 5,000 8,000 160%

Didn't really think much of this article previously (regarding a high software attach rate), but will be interesting to see how things progress for the 360 in the next month and year: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11796

[quote name='jkanownik']A lot of those GBA's are all the micros that were sold on BF. At 50 units per store across 3,000 Walmarts and 600 TRUs that is 180,000 units right there.[/quote]

I don't know about where you live, but our Walmart had far more than 50 of those things and there were tons left on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. They couldn't give them away around here.

TBW

[quote name='Demontooth']It was 87% before[/QUOTE]

No, I think his point was that you would've had to buy a hell of a lot of copies to even make it rise .1%

[quote name='SMMM']No, I think his point was that you would've had to buy a hell of a lot of copies to even make it rise .1%[/QUOTE]

I was being factitious.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What the fuck? Half a million consoles isn't "moving?"[/QUOTE]

In the holiday season, no. 360 was dead last of the consoles that were widely avalible (and still viable), and outsold the Wii by only 20,000 consoles. Every system jumps during the holiday season, and, well botticus put it pretty well.

As it stands, Gears of War sold 1,126,000 in November. Considering the 4 millionish people that already own a 360 in the US are most likely FPS fans, a good number of those sales has to be going to the previously installed base. Gears is a hit, but it isn't the sort of hit Microsoft wanted it to be. Gears isn't the next Halo so to speak. It's a compelling IP, but from the numbers I've seen (and the word of mouth of people who have already moved on from the lackluster multiplayer) it isn't getting the people who owned Xboxs or played a lot of Halo to jump over yet. In the long run, a game that adds variety like Viva Pinata will be much more important to the success of the 360 then Gears.

[quote name='furyk']In the holiday season, no. 360 was dead last of the consoles that were widely avalible (and still viable), and outsold the Wii by only 20,000 consoles. Every system jumps during the holiday season, and, well botticus put it pretty well.

As it stands, Gears of War sold 1,126,000 in November. Considering the 4 millionish people that already own a 360 in the US are most likely FPS fans, a good number of those sales has to be going to the previously installed base. Gears is a hit, but it isn't the sort of hit Microsoft wanted it to be. Gears isn't the next Halo so to speak. It's a compelling IP, but from the numbers I've seen (and the word of mouth of people who have already moved on from the lackluster multiplayer) it isn't getting the people who owned Xboxs or played a lot of Halo to jump over yet. In the long run, a game that adds variety like Viva Pinata will be much more important to the success of the 360 then Gears.[/quote]
Gears is the only title that has multiplayer that can even hold a candle to Halo's. There's a reason it's been number one on the Xbox Live most played list since it came out. Viva Pinata is most definitely not going to be more important to the 360 than Gears.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I think GBAs go for younger kids -- who parents think won't be able to grasp the touchscreen. Think of all those cartoon carts, too. It's a cheap alternative to a portable DVD player for shutting kids up for an hour or two.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I got a GBA a few years ago (before the DS was out) and for a short time it was my system. Then my older son used it a bit. Now that the DS is out my older 2 kids (nearly 7 and 10) share one. However, my 4 year-old is not allowed to handle the other kids' DS. I have no qualms letting him run off with the GBA though. And despite several drops onto hardwood floor (he gets excited and runs around while playing ;)) it has held up very well. As sturdy as the DS phat is, I don't think it would have made it too long if he used it. He plays SMB 3 on it endlessly - I really have no idea how far he gets through it, but he certainly plays it over and over (and occasionally the two WarioWare games, Lego Star Wars, and Donkey Kong Country 2).

Anyway, if I was buying a system for a kid 5 and under, I would stick with the GBA (some advice for those of you with nieces/nephews/etc). 6 and up, you could probably go with a DS, though I'd be tempted to get a phat for the 6-8 crowd as it is a bitt more sturdy (plus the smaller stylus is a good thing for their small hands).

As for the cartoon carts, I've picked up several on the cheap (some new for as little as $1-$2) and they have mostly gone entirely unused. My son would rather play SMB3 than watch Spongebob ;).

And Trakan - if I ever get an Xbox 360 it will be because of games like Viva Pinata (and Oblivion) rather than Gears Of War and Halo. There's no doubt that to *expand* their base of fans they need to branch out from the FPS (or 3rd person shooter - all the same to me)/Sports/Racing genres.

[quote name='Trakan']Gears is the only title that has multiplayer that can even hold a candle to Halo's. There's a reason it's been number one on the Xbox Live most played list since it came out. Viva Pinata is most definitely not going to be more important to the 360 than Gears.[/QUOTE]

Doubtful. The only quality title that's come out for the 360 since Gears is R6: Vegas and a squad shooter is a totally different beast then a FPS. People are still playing Gears because its still the "it" thing, and it has very little competition at the moment.

Anywho, shooters are broken into two categories on a Microsoft console. You've got Halo and not Halo. There have been no shooters that have broken out of that mold yet. Gears is the first comperable shooter to Halo, but pose the hypothetical question to owners of 360s if they'd rather of had Gears this Christmas or no Gears and Halo 3 in March 07 and I bet you a dollar to a doughnut that they'd pick Halo. Viva Pinata, on the other hand, does not fall into the category of Halo or not Halo and gives the system some much needed variety.

My point is that once Halo comes out, every other shooter on the console market is overshadowed by it. Viva Pinata will do more to draw in gamers who have little interest in shooters then Gears of War will draw in people who play FPSes. Gears 1 is and always will be considered an appetizer to Halo 3, but Halo 3 will never be considered precursor to Gears 2 and that's why Viva Pinata is ultimately more important to selling systems in the long run.

Game Informer actually had an article about the 360 to the effect of what's been discussed here-that the lead isn't as big as most people think.

Which means...price drop! :)

[quote name='furyk']Doubtful. The only quality title that's come out for the 360 since Gears is R6: Vegas and a squad shooter is a totally different beast then a FPS. People are still playing Gears because its still the "it" thing, and it has very little competition at the moment.
[/QUOTE]

Gears isn't a FPS.

[quote name='io']

And Trakan - if I ever get an Xbox 360 it will be because of games like Viva Pinata (and Oblivion) rather than Gears Of War and Halo. There's no doubt that to *expand* their base of fans they need to branch out from the FPS (or 3rd person shooter - all the same to me)/Sports/Racing genres.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking I need to keep a running list of games to get when i get a 360 and Viva was on it..

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Who the fuck keeps buying PS2's? Everyone and their grandma should have 2 buy now.[/quote]

I would imagine alot of the PS2 sales are people buying a new one after their old PS2 got the DRE's. Every PS2 owning friend that I have has had to buy a second one at some point.

I read an article on Gamasutra recently about how the software attach rate on the 360 is very high, something like 5-6 units to a console, as opposed to the usual 3-4. While that may sound good, it means that less people are buying the system, and more people are buying games for the console they already have. The article said that the 360 might hit a wall soon, and that it's head start isn't actually that deep.

[quote name='Puffa469']I would imagine alot of the PS2 sales are people buying a new one after their old PS2 got the DRE's. Every PS2 owning friend that I have has had to buy a second one at some point.[/QUOTE]

Nah, the same thing happened with the PS1 when the PS2 came out. It's at a price point where it makes an affordable christmas present for those who do not already own one.

bread's done
Back