[Now shipping] Play-Asia Japanese PS3s: 60GB $999, 20GB $899 =O

I was about to post this myself. That's about half of what Yes-Asia charging. Still too much, but it's almost certainly cheaper than eBay is going to be. Not sure about the warranty though.

Wow. That's damn expensive.

Just a heads up to people considering importing, it sounds like PS3 will be able to play PS3 games and Blu-Ray movies from the US or Japan, but PS1/PS2 games are still region-specific.

Since I have about 30x as many US PS1/PS2 games than Japanese ones, I'm going to ignore the Japanese launch (this saturday! OY!) and pick up a US one early next year.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Wow. That's damn expensive.

Just a heads up to people considering importing, it sounds like PS3 will be able to play PS3 games and Blu-Ray movies from the US or Japan, but PS1/PS2 games are still region-specific.

Since I have about 30x as many US PS1/PS2 games than Japanese ones, I'm going to ignore the Japanese launch (this saturday! OY!) and pick up a US one early next year.[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that the system itself wasn't going to be region locked, however publishers had the option to lock the GAMES, which wasn't something they were likely to do.

Where was it that you read that both games and console would be region free?

[quote name='Leggo']Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that the system itself wasn't going to be region locked, however publishers had the option to lock the GAMES, which wasn't something they were likely to do.

Where was it that you read that both games and console would be region free?[/QUOTE]

PS3 games are not region locked by the system, but individual publishers are free to lock their games at will, much like the 360.

PS2/PS1 games ARE entirely region locked, meaning you'd need a Japanese PS3 to play Japanese PS2/PS1 games...

I was under the impression that the PS3 was legitimately region free, unlike the 360. Does anyone have any links verifying that games may include region coding?

I was gonna get one for ebay but after shipping, this ends up being $1100. If you actually get it in the mail before the US launch, you may be able to turn a good profit, but otherwise, you may be lucky to break even since it's the Japanese system

[quote name='icruise']I was under the impression that the PS3 was legitimately region free, unlike the 360. Does anyone have any links verifying that games may include region coding?[/QUOTE]

PS3 will be blu-ray region locked. The difference is that the US, Japan, & Most of Asia fall under one Blu-Ray region so it won't matter

Wow, anyone know if they plan to charge over retail for the Japanese Wii as well? I preordered one and was under the impression that it would be retail price, not double. o_o;

[quote name='malrock']PS3 will be blu-ray region locked. The difference is that the US, Japan, & Most of Asia fall under one Blu-Ray region so it won't matter[/quote]

Games are seperate from Movies on regions. Games are truely region free. Blu-Ray movies are region encoded and we're the same region 1 as Japan, Just as DVD regions and DVD games have nothing to do with each other.

So if you you import a JP system to US you can still play local movies or import from Japan but if you import a JP/US system to EU you can play local PS3 games but you have to import movies from US/JP or just be SOL.

[quote name='nekobi']Wow, anyone know if they plan to charge over retail for the Japanese Wii as well? I preordered one and was under the impression that it would be retail price, not double. o_o;[/quote]Wii is region locked, gonna be a huge mistake to order from them, plus it comes out 3 weeks later over there.

When you start up a Japanese PS3 will the menu be in Japanese? I assume you can change the language if it is?

[quote name='lawl']Wii is region locked, gonna be a huge mistake to order from them, plus it comes out 3 weeks later over there.[/quote]
It's not a mistake if you actually *want* to play import games. I'm fully aware it's region locked, as are pretty much any previous consoles. I plan on getting a US Wii as well as a Japanese Wii so I can play both US and Japanese games. ^-^ I gotta play that new Bleach game! So yeah, I'm hoping I don't have to pay $500+ to do so, because if that's the case, I just won't. =\

[quote name='nekobi']It's not a mistake if you actually *want* to play import games. I'm fully aware it's region locked, as are pretty much any previous consoles. I plan on getting a US Wii as well as a Japanese Wii so I can play both US and Japanese games. ^-^ I gotta play that new Bleach game! So yeah, I'm hoping I don't have to pay $500+ to do so, because if that's the case, I just won't. =\[/quote]Ah. I wish the Wii was region free....soo many awesome import DS games right now and since that's region free it's great.

I got one, I figure the japanese system is worth more if it plays ps1, ps2, and ps3 no matter what region. plus if i don't make $900.00 profit I can always keep it. That way I won't have to buy a moded one to play import games.

Why would it play ps1 and ps2 games no matter what the region? Or do you mean Japanese PS1/PS2 games? If so, how does that make the Japanese system worth more?

[quote name='GameReeper']I got one, I figure the japanese system is worth more if it plays ps1, ps2, and ps3 no matter what region. plus if i don't make $900.00 profit I can always keep it. That way I won't have to buy a moded one to play import games.[/quote]
I thought it would only play Japanese PS1/PS2 games, as the US version will only play US PS1 & PS2 games?

so much better than yes-asia.com:

yesasiaps3.jpg

[quote name='icruise']Why would it play ps1 and ps2 games no matter what the region? Or do you mean Japanese PS1/PS2 games? If so, how does that make the Japanese system worth more?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does make it worth more because of some of the great import offerings PS2 has. Down the line when I buy a PS3 I'll probably end up buying a Japanese one if the game market ends up at all like the 360's Asian one.

i barely make over a grand a month and with rent/bills this is a no go for me.. and its totally not cheapass.. the 360 is looking better and better for my dollar lately.

[quote name='Savant']When you start up a Japanese PS3 will the menu be in Japanese? I assume you can change the language if it is?[/QUOTE]My Japanese PSP started up in English for me, but regardless it's changable.

[quote name='icruise']And the kicker is, that those prices seem very reasonable compared to what people are willing to pay on eBay![/quote]

Yeah your right

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']So is Sony okay with companies grey importing the PS3 since it's region free?[/QUOTE]
Ask Lik-Sang...

I think these places can get away with it as long as the places they're selling it to have had the PS3 released already. So no sales to Europe, for example.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']So is Sony okay with companies grey importing the PS3 since it's region free?[/QUOTE]

Hmm...just like the PSP, eh? ;)

The other thing to think about with a Japanese PS3 is that it _is_ PS2/PS1 region locked. Granted, most people probably don't care, or it's even a bonus is you want to import old PS2 games.

Amazon japan has third-party sellers listing the 20GB model for 63000 yen, which according to xe.com is about $533.

I wouldn't buy a Japanese one. Yeah, the system is not region locked, but there is nothing to stop the software from being so. Check out their Japanese selection of PS3 games. Almost everything is region-locked to Japan. There is nothing to keep US publishers from doing the same.

Yeah if I had the money and didn't have 360 I would jump on that. I mean if you don't have next-gen yet and your not impressed with 360 or Wii and you have a well paying job, why not get yourself something for the holidays. Especially if you have the TV for it and you want HD movies.

Saw a bunch of PS3 imported from Play-Asia on eBay. The seller posted a picture of the Play-Asia order receipt.

Btw, I thought Blu-ray movies have some form of region locking as well. Wouldn't these Asian PS3 have the region coded in them?

lol these places shouldnt try concidering themselves a store if there gonna up there price if something is selling out elsewhere..its unprofesional as hell.

well i decided to order 1 since its probably the last place i can get a PS3. i dont know what exactly will work in the US and what wont, but if i dont like it, i can probably sell it on ebay for at least the same price i got it, so i cant lose.

[quote name='mietha']I wouldn't buy a Japanese one. Yeah, the system is not region locked, but there is nothing to stop the software from being so. Check out their Japanese selection of PS3 games. Almost everything is region-locked to Japan. There is nothing to keep US publishers from doing the same.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that Play Asia only says that to cover their asses. As far as I know, they have yet to try any of the Japanese PS3 games on a US system. For what it's worth, I have a Japanese 60GB PS3, and every single US PS3 game has worked flawlessly, without a hitch ala PSP. I even created a US PS3 network account.

bread's done
Back