Now that we know the price, will you buy a PSP?

daphatty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
There are plenty of discussions on this subject but I wanted to get some hard numbers on this. So vote!

I vote no.

I vote no. I have a GBA and I will just continueing buying games for that and not buy a new handheld. It would be pointless because the PSP could fail and games could be stopped making and the DS games are nothing special right now, and the next GB will be out in a year or so.

I wanna get one, but I won't drop more than $150 on it so I'll be waiting a while. By then at least I'll know if it's worth it.

I am going to wait on it for the time being. I was actually going to get if it was $150 (I will do it once a price drops happened) since I wanted to have it. I guess I have to save up and/or wait for Nippon (Disgaea) to make a game for the PSP.

I was goin to get it. but after looking at the value PACKAGE. IT'S NOT REALLY A VALUE. :roll:

And the history of sony quality on 1st gen system has all gone 2 shit. I'll wait til 05' Christmas.

I'll still definately get one but might wait for a price drop. $250 is a little steep since I'm quite a cheap ass but the darn thing looks so cool!

[quote name='David85']I vote no. I have a GBA and I will just continueing buying games for that and not buy a new handheld. It would be pointless because the PSP could fail and games could be stopped making and the DS games are nothing special right now, and the next GB will be out in a year or so.[/quote]

Wow, didn't know a new GB would be coming out so soon after the recent release of the DS.

Link?

[quote name='mellowsmoothe'][quote name='David85']I vote no. I have a GBA and I will just continueing buying games for that and not buy a new handheld. It would be pointless because the PSP could fail and games could be stopped making and the DS games are nothing special right now, and the next GB will be out in a year or so.[/quote]

Wow, didn't know a new GB would be coming out so soon after the recent release of the DS.

Link?[/quote]

It's heavily rumored to be coming out Christmas 2006. I saw an article at IGN, and one at planet Gamecube or something like that.

Anyway, I voted no, when I can get the value pack for $200 I'm in.

Thinking it was going to be around $199 at launch, I was planning on picking one up, but at $250, I don't need to portable game that badly. I think I'll save the cash for some great games coming out this year instead.

I'll wait for the next production run if they decide to fix certain problems that were built-in for style. And for crists sake, why make the damn thing shiny all over? Why not make a textured surface ? I don't want to have to spit shine my handheld every time I touch it. Besides that, The "cleaning cloth" included in the value pack is kinda gay as well, IMO.

I definately am since I have been obsessed with it since it was announced so I cant wait for it, as you can see by my sig, but I was hoping for $200...oh well it doesnt matter, the thing looks amazing.

I'm going to wait till it drops to $100.

As I have stated before the only game that I want is Final Fantasy VII: Part 5 and thats not coming out till at least 2007.

If I get a console this xmas I rather buy a Xbox2 then a PSP.

[quote name='bmulligan']Thinking it was going to be around $199 at launch, I was planning on picking one up, but at $250, I don't need to portable game that badly. I think I'll save the cash for some great games coming out this year instead.

I'll wait for the next production run if they decide to fix certain problems that were built-in for style. And for crists sake, why make the damn thing shiny all over? Why not make a textured surface ? I don't want to have to spit shine my handheld every time I touch it. Besides that, The "cleaning cloth" included in the value pack is kinda gay as well, IMO.[/quote]

Sony heard the metrosexual market was the next big thing. The 'Queer Eye' crew is going to appear in ads for the thing, just you wait and see.

I'm sure I'll get one eventually. Assuming all technical kinks have been worked out, and there are games that actually interest me. I'm only slightly intrigued by one game, Metal Gear Ac!d, and even with that I am intrigued because I don't think it is going to be good.

[quote name='chickenhawk']I wanna get one, but I won't drop more than $150 on it so I'll be waiting a while. By then at least I'll know if it's worth it.[/quote]

I'm with you

im gonna get one just for the risk of not being able to. who knows, even if i don't use it when i get it, it'll be new and i could wait for all of the pros and cons reviews then decided if i'll return it or not. chances are one of my friends will use theirs when it releases u.s. and i'll keep mine packaged. :)

so, yes.

also have to mention, CAG ROCKS!, cause i felt like saying it.

If my finances don't improve it's out of the question regardless but if things did pick up to the extent of a fulltime position at a decent rate I'd probably pick one up as a form of celebration.

I've become a bit burned out on launch purchases. When I had a lot of writing jobs it made sense since I'd usually make enough on an article to cover the cost. One of the only mainstream US systems I didn't buy at launch in recent history was the PlayStation. I held out until it was $150 but already had a couple dozen games I'd gotten extremely cheap and used under Bleem! so I could write about that. A lot of those games were free because I somehow got on the Psygnosis review list and they sent me every release.

One pattern has always prevailed in my launch purchases. I remained a CAG. I bought the system and just one game to use but then no other games until they weregetting heavily discounted. If I don't have any special reason to own the machine from day one the hardware purchase may as well wait until the software is cheap.

I'm especially motivated to wait on the PSP due to poor value of the package. An overpriced Memory card is hard to accept when it is a standard format with much better per megabyte pricing available. Nor do I want to pay for a carrying that has already been widely disparaged. I'll wait and see if a package sans accessories becomes available.

The Funny thing is that I'll likely spend a bit more than the $250 but I'll get at least half a gigabyte of storage capacity and a better case. I expect Memory Stick Duo pricing to come more in line with SD cards if the PSP drives a spike in demand. I can wait for that before buying.

what would also be interesting to know, is of those people who said no, how many people wouldve before the price hit, expecting a 180-200 range. That is to say, how many changed your minds TO NO

Probably not, I don't have enough use for a handheld. I will wait a year and see how the games are for the DS and the PSP then decide based on the games.

At $250, not a chance in hell.

My wife and I were just told recently by someone who supposedly had advance info that it was going to launch at $150. Obviously, he had advance crap. When I heard $150 I was really surprised, expecting more like $200. My wife even said "Wow, for that price maybe I'll pick one up for you" Oh, well. There's nothing in the launch lineup that would even make me want to drop $150 on it, so I can definitely wait for a couple price drops.

I would have seriously considered it if it was $150 and Lumines and MGA were both $40 a piece. Seeing that the system is $100 more than I would be willing to pay, and that it is likely that the games I'd like will be $49.99, it's a no-go.

[quote name='GenDV138']No, I'll get one eventually but not for $250.[/quote]

I'm feeling about the same about the PSP. I'll probabaly get one at some point but for now I'm all right with the DS.

[quote name='peteyrose']Hell yes. Lumines alone is worth the price. Best handheld game ever made.[/quote]

hell yes. I am totally on the same boat as you.

If you have a DS be sure to pick up Meteos, made by the same people who made Lumines.

I changed my mind from yes to no at the $200 level.

on a side note, what the heck is a memory stock duo ? Does the PSP take a regular sony memory stick or is this some special type of memory stick ? I ask becuase Target has 64MB memory sticks on sale for $17 and I'm thinking about the future .....

I'm going to get 10 to ebay in hopes that it will be tough to find. JK, I'm definitely not going to get one right away, too many games to play through right now and thats a pretty steep price. It does look sweet and there will definitely be some great games on it, but I don't play portable stuff enough to justify buying this for a while.

[quote name='mellowsmoothe'][quote name='David85']I vote no. I have a GBA and I will just continueing buying games for that and not buy a new handheld. It would be pointless because the PSP could fail and games could be stopped making and the DS games are nothing special right now, and the next GB will be out in a year or so.[/quote]

Link?[/quote]

Nintendo has said numberous times that the next GB will come out in 2006. The DS is a time filler so the PSP doesn't creme the SP. That "third pillar" thing is bullshit, like all gaming companies do.

[quote name='bmulligan']I changed my mind from yes to no at the $200 level.

on a side note, what the heck is a memory stock duo ? Does the PSP take a regular sony memory stick or is this some special type of memory stick ? I ask becuase Target has 64MB memory sticks on sale for $17 and I'm thinking about the future .....[/quote]

I may consier it at the $200 level too, but with the possibility of $50 games I'm gonna say no, def. not at launch.

Also, a memeory stick duo is a slighty different size so I don't think they'd be interchangeable.

Memeory Stick Duo
MSHM128A.jpg

Memory Stick
MSH128.jpg

I now they sell an adaptor to convert Duos into regular memory sticks, but I dunno if they sell ones that can do the opposite.

C'mon guys, we're Cheap Asses. I'm a Cheap Ass and I voted yes. It's not too difficult to accumulate $250 in store credit or through eBay using the knowledge of sales and trade-in values that we have. Heck I spent $80 today and I fully expect that to turn into a PSP and a game. The power of this site can bring all MSRP's to their knees!

Lumines and wireless 8 player Wipeout is enticing as hell. Plus, with the promo at EB ( I already sang my praises on this) I paid it off with stack-o-CAG cheapies that I had sitting around for months now (Trade 2 get an extra 10$). Covered my PSP. And I still have more credit to throw down on the games, so why the hell not?!

-The_K

No, I have the DS already and $249 for a portable system with $39.99 games isn't something I want. Once the system goes to under $150 and I start to see new PSP games on clearance for $10 and less, I'll consider getting one.

I'm getting it the minute it get released.

I got a call today from EB telling me not to forget to pick it up in March. :D

Yes, I'm going to get mine eventually. NOt at launch, though. $250 is a good price, wtih all that stuff, but I just don't have that kind of money right now. Otherwise I would get it at launch.

bread's done
Back