Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS $130 After MIR ($160 Shipped)!

Thanks for this. I needed a new card for my HTPC and this will do nicely and allow me to play some games.

This is the old version of the 8800GTS. The 512MB version is the one that's slightly better than an 8800GT. At this price you'd be better off buying a 9600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261009

I ended up getting this card as I dont need a gaming powerhouse, just something to run HD videos and that has a HDMI port out. At only $100 shipped, you cant beat it, especially with 1GB of onboard RAM. For some reason, my ATI card that was specified for HDTV, fails to recognize and throw a signal at my projector at 1080p. When it does, it seems a system reboot totally eliminates the connection.

I dont know if it is the drivers or what, but it has been frustrating me for more than a year. Decided to go Nvidia this time and hopefully solve this ongoing problem.

I posted the same exact card from newegg a few weeks ago at $115 ($122) after rebates and it is still up: Link Here

I've been using the card for a few weeks now and I love it. This card has a lot of power...it runs every game I own maxed out. Crysis is the only game it can't handle, but I won't be getting that game, so it doesn't matter.

I think an even better deal is the 8800GS though. The 8800GS is slightly better than the GTS 320mb card in most areas from tests I've seen. Either way, at this price you can't go wrong.

[quote name='SlaughterX']Yup...[/quote]

This card is $114 after rebates at newegg

[quote name='thextreme1']http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261009

I ended up getting this card as I dont need a gaming powerhouse, just something to run HD videos and that has a HDMI port out. At only $100 shipped, you cant beat it, especially with 1GB of onboard RAM. For some reason, my ATI card that was specified for HDTV, fails to recognize and throw a signal at my projector at 1080p. When it does, it seems a system reboot totally eliminates the connection.

I dont know if it is the drivers or what, but it has been frustrating me for more than a year. Decided to go Nvidia this time and hopefully solve this ongoing problem.[/quote]
You can get a much more powerful 8800gs for that price, well after rebates.

[quote name='Filbert']This is the old version of the 8800GTS. The 512MB version is the one that's slightly better than an 8800GT. At this price you'd be better off buying a 9600GT.[/quote]

no, you wouldn't. the 8800 is better than the 9600. with nvidia, 600 is gaming entry level. 800 is more powerful even if it's from the previous generation. i hear that the 9800 only has a 7% gain over the 8800 though, which is terrible.

CAG currently really doesn't do much to keep on up cheap PC hardware atm. Your better off looking at other sites if you're shopping for PC hardware. When your main guys have 100+ podcasts and do very little to address PC Gaming in general, that should be your hint that their is an extreme bias to one side. Which is fine, just don't expect them to prioritize PC Gaming on the site.

This deal does indeed stink unless you're planning on SLI'ing an existing 320MB GTS. Get a 9600 GT instead.

This version of the 8800 GTS is indeed not as good as the 9600 GT. You need to go check your benchmarks those who think otherwise. It's based off the old G80s GPUs. It uses more power for less performance. Less memory also doesn't help the situation. The new 512MB 8800 GTS though is a G92. That one is fairly nice.

As for 'card model numbers', at this point I'd do research on any card before assuming anything about that particular card. The model numbers don't always match the performance they give.

Nice deal! Be aware though that you should be able to pick up the new 512MB GTS for around $150.

Basically 9600GT < 360/640MB 8800GTS < 512MB 8800GT < 512MB 8800GTS. (The naming scheme is a bit confusing, but what's new ;) )

Remember that this DOESN'T have as advanced a video acceleration engine for HD video as the newer 9600GT, 8800GT, and 512MB 8800GTS have.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']
I've been using the card for a few weeks now and I love it. This card has a lot of power...it runs every game I own maxed out. Crysis is the only game it can't handle, but I won't be getting that game, so it doesn't matter.[/quote]

It should handle Crysis fine. It won't run it at max resolution or settings, but I'd think at worst it'll run it with medium settings and resolutions (which is still better than basically everything else out there).

I think an even better deal is the 8800GS though. The 8800GS is slightly better than the GTS 320mb card in most areas from tests I've seen. Either way, at this price you can't go wrong.

Are you sure? Weird. Okay, now I'm getting consfused and can't even remember exactly what these different parts are. AFAIK the 8800GS is basically an 8800GT, but with something like 192-bit memory interface rather than 256, and the original 8800GTS would have had...I guess slightly fewer execution units, but 3xx-bit interface...or something like that.

[quote name='thakingrocka']no, you wouldn't. the 8800 is better than the 9600. with nvidia, 600 is gaming entry level. 800 is more powerful even if it's from the previous generation. i hear that the 9800 only has a 7% gain over the 8800 though, which is terrible.[/QUOTE]

Sort of. Depends on your perspective. It debuted at $300 MSRP, and basically replaces old $500-$600 parts. If I were buying/building a new system right now it's what I'd probably get as it's the fastest single GPU card, and started out remakrably cheap by today's standards. I LOVE how much these 8800/9800 cards have fallen! So much power for so cheap :)

[quote name='TyRiKe']this is easily better than the 8500 gt lol...[/QUOTE]

Yikes! No kidding. The OLD 8800GTS is easily 3x more powerful than an 8600GT, and the 8500GT is less than half as powerful as that.

Other than being SIX TIMES more powerful they're pretty much the same ;)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nice deal! Be aware though that you should be able to pick up the new 512MB GTS for around $150.

Basically 9600GT < 360/640MB 8800GTS < 512MB 8800GT < 512MB 8800GTS. (The naming scheme is a bit confusing, but what's new ;) )

Remember that this DOESN'T have as advanced a video acceleration engine for HD video as the newer 9600GT, 8800GT, and 512MB 8800GTS have.

It should handle Crysis fine. It won't run it at max resolution or settings, but I'd think at worst it'll run it with medium settings and resolutions (which is still better than basically everything else out there).

Are you sure? Weird. Okay, now I'm getting consfused and can't even remember exactly what these different parts are. AFAIK the 8800GS is basically an 8800GT, but with something like 192-bit memory interface rather than 256, and the original 8800GTS would have had...I guess slightly fewer execution units, but 3xx-bit interface...or something like that.

Sort of. Depends on your perspective. It debuted at $300 MSRP, and basically replaces old $500-$600 parts. If I were buying/building a new system right now it's what I'd probably get as it's the fastest single GPU card, and started out remakrably cheap by today's standards. I LOVE how much these 8800/9800 cards have fallen! So much power for so cheap :)[/quote]

I've already tried the Crysis demo out and I can run it fine at medium settings, but nothing higher. The graphics don't really impress me at medium anyways...not as good as COD4 looks anyways. I can't max Crysis though, so I guess I really can't compare the two.

The 8800GS is indeed better than the GTS 320, but the results I saw were only a 1-3fps difference. The GTS 320 was actually better at running Bioshock, but other games it got beat out.

Their current naming system really makes no sense. In the past, the GS is the weakest, next the GT, GTS, GTX, etc etc....but now because of the 2nd generation of 8800s, we have the 8800GTS being the weakest, followed by the 8800GS, then the GT, GTS 512, etc etc.

The 9600 is also better than the 8800GTS 320, and even better than the 8800GS as well. I only bough tthe 8800GTS 320 a few weeks ago, and although you can spend a little more or around the same amount and get a better card, I don't regret my purchase as I can run everything I own maxed. Of course I'll have to upgrade in the future, but I don't keep up with PC gaming as much as most people, so I won't need an upgrade in quite a while. In a good 3 years or so though, I'll probably jump up to a better card that can handle even more.

As for what card people should pick, I really don't have a recommendation. Prices change so quickly and technology advances so fast that really it just seems best to do some minimal research, know what you want to run, and find a card that can do what you want for as little of a cost as possible. No matter what you buy, you will have to upgrade at some point anyways...some cards you'll just have to upgrade sooner.

Some decent prices on the cards, although personally I'm waiting for something with 8800gt or higher performance for $150 or less. I currently have a 7900gs, and it's a really good performer, so I don't want to get anything that's less than double the speed and memory if I'm going to spend that much money. DX10 support is nice too, even though I don't really use Vista much and few games benefit from it.

It's getting a little confusing with all these different products though...I didn't even KNOW about the 512mb GTS card until I heard about it in this thread. What are the actual specs for these cards? Is there anywhere to see a chart that lists the stream processors, memory bitrate, core/memory speed, etc so you can more accurately see which are better? In any case, hopefully all these cards will drive the prices of eachother down.

Also, keep in mind that PhysX acceleration will soon be added to the 8x00 and 9x00 lines. So your GPU will also be doubling for a physics accelerator, and from the sound of it, it does a damn good job of it. Granted, there aren't many games that support PhysX acceleration (UT3 being the only notable example), but I wouldn't be surprised if it caught on with the feature being added to Nvidia cards.

"Basically 9600GT < 360/640MB 8800GTS < 512MB 8800GT < 512MB 8800GTS. (The naming scheme is a bit confusing, but what's new )"

All benchmarks I've read show the 9600 GT outperforming the old 8800 320 / 640 series. That and the drastically decreased power usage on the 9600 GT make it a no-brainer choice over the 8800 GTS 320MB.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nice deal! Be aware though that you should be able to pick up the new 512MB GTS for around $150.

Sort of. Depends on your perspective. It debuted at $300 MSRP, and basically replaces old $500-$600 parts. If I were buying/building a new system right now it's what I'd probably get as it's the fastest single GPU card, and started out remakrably cheap by today's standards. I LOVE how much these 8800/9800 cards have fallen! So much power for so cheap :)[/quote]

[quote name='thakingrocka']no, you wouldn't. the 8800 is better than the 9600. with nvidia, 600 is gaming entry level. 800 is more powerful even if it's from the previous generation. i hear that the 9800 only has a 7% gain over the 8800 though, which is terrible.[/quote]

You guys are both wrong. The 9600gt whoops the 8800GTS (Both 320mb and 640mb) in every way possible for a lower price. Stop misleading other people and do research before you make these false claims.

[quote name='cwazie']
[quote name='jasongg06']You guys are both wrong. The 9600gt whoops the 8800GTS (Both 320mb and 640mb) in every way possible for a lower price. Stop misleading other people and do research before you make these false claims.[/QUOTE]

I went searching and while I find a lot of people CLAIMING that, I don't see any benchmarks actually backing it up (and I do mean benchmarks, not Donut Mark or the like). Not saying it's impossible, but it sounds implausible to me. You're talking about very similar hardware, only the 320MB GTS has 50% more execution hardware, 25% more ROPS, and more memory bandwidth...hmm...the clock speed difference doesn't seem like it could make up the difference. Some, but it looks like the older GTS should still be faster.

[quote name='Wolfpup'][quote name='cwazie']

I went searching and while I find a lot of people CLAIMING that, I don't see any benchmarks actually backing it up (and I do mean benchmarks, not Donut Mark or the like). Not saying it's impossible, but it sounds implausible to me. You're talking about very similar hardware, only the 320MB GTS has 50% more execution hardware, 25% more ROPS, and more memory bandwidth...hmm...the clock speed difference doesn't seem like it could make up the difference. Some, but it looks like the older GTS should still be faster.[/quote]

Nah, I've been doing my research. The 8800gts (g80) can't even keep up with ATI's new offerings, and the 9600gt is on par with the 3870. Here's a review for clarification. Start from page 5 and go on, you'll see that there isn't even one benchmark where the 8800gts (g80) comes close to the 9600gt.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_9600_gt_performance/page5.asp

I'll interject with a slightly OT question to save forum space: Are AGP cards going the way of the dodo now? I know PCIe is the hot shit and this SLI business (I'm not a PC gamer), but do I need to find and jump on an AGP card deal now before they become impossible to find?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I'll interject with a slightly OT question to save forum space: Are AGP cards going the way of the dodo now? I know PCIe is the hot shit and this SLI business (I'm not a PC gamer), but do I need to find and jump on an AGP card deal now before they become impossible to find?[/quote]

AGP is obsolete, so grab a "decent" one while you can still find 'em.

Just an FYI: the new 8800GT is pretty much the best PCI-Express videocard for your dollar; and, coupled with a Core 2 Duo, your PC will pretty much CRUSH any games based off of the Unreal Engine. Heck, my PC makes the 360 graphics look like a SEGA Genesis, and I didn't have to spend much more to get to this point.

If you're looking to upgrade your PC on the cheap, just find an inexpensive EVGA mobo and combine it with a Core 2 Duo, the videocard I mentioned above, and some dirt-cheap DDR2--you'll be blown away!

I somewhat agree. I find it a difficult decision between the 8800 GT and the 9600 GT. The 9600 GT is more efficient power-wise, and is so close to the 8800 GT performance-wise that I'd say either is a good pick.

ATI has new chips coming this summer, and shortly afterwards, NVidia will release their new cards, so expect prices to continue to drop as new models come out.

[quote name='Wolfpup']May not be a valid test though as they're using different driver versions.[/quote]

They're using the 174 driver version for the 9600gt because the 169 drivers don't support it, and the 169 driver is the most updated driver for the 8800gts (g80).

[quote name='BrandonMills']I somewhat agree. I find it a difficult decision between the 8800 GT and the 9600 GT. The 9600 GT is more efficient power-wise, and is so close to the 8800 GT performance-wise that I'd say either is a good pick.

ATI has new chips coming this summer, and shortly afterwards, NVidia will release their new cards, so expect prices to continue to drop as new models come out.[/quote]

I've seen the 9600gt for sale around $110-120 shipped, and the 8800gt around $160+ shipped. So realistically, the 9600gt is the best bang for your buck. 15% slower (on avg), but 25-35% cheaper than the 8800gt. Its just that most people already have the 8800gt, and even if they didn't, they'd pay more for the extra head room to make it more "futureproof". Either way, both of these are better than the obsolete 320mb 8800gts, especially with the gts still at $130. For the performance, it should cost

[quote name='BrandonMills']CAG currently really doesn't do much to keep on up cheap PC hardware atm. Your better off looking at other sites if you're shopping for PC hardware. When your main guys have 100+ podcasts and do very little to address PC Gaming in general, that should be your hint that their is an extreme bias to one side. Which is fine, just don't expect them to prioritize PC Gaming on the site.[/QUOTE]Extreme bias? Look at the PC boards, maybe if they weren't so dead they'd care.

you'll see that there isn't even one benchmark where the 8800gts (g80) comes close to the 9600gt.
Huh? Are you even reading the benchmarks you yourself linked us to? I see a whole lot of benchies with the Asus 9600GT running about 5 frames faster than the 8800GTS 320MB. That's pretty "close" in my book. Yeah, the eVGA Superclocked card is easily getting 15 to 20 more frames, but that's because it's heavily overclocked. You can easily get a great overclock on the 8800GTS.

I have an 8800GTS 320MB (bought mine a few months after the Geforce 8 series was released). This is a hard choice in my book. The 9600GT is clearly the better performer, but I'm not a big fan of the single-slotted coolers they have on the 8800GT and 9600GT. In the end, you really can't go wrong with either card. You're not breaking the bank, but still getting great performance.

Are AGP cards going the way of the dodo now?
Pretty much. There are still a lot of older systems out there with an AGP slot, so ATI saw fit to stay in the market for awhile longer. Not much, though.

How much better is this than a 7900 GS?
Any one of the cards mentioned in this thread (the 8800GTS 320, 8800GT, or 9600GT) would easily outperform the 7900GS.

EDIT:

I'm liking the looks of this Asus card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121229

Doesn't have the reference cooler and only $130 after rebate. There are two ECS 9600GTs on there for a little less, but ECS has put out some crap in the past.

Less power consumption means less chance of having a fried graphics card. Some of the 8800's were beasts, yet they were huge power mongers, noisy, and even too large some cases. It looks like the 9600 GT's are *almost* as powerful as some of the newer 8800 GT's, consume less power and are less noisy. I think I'm gonna wait to get a 9600GT at $100 then hand off my 8600GT OC to my dad.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Huh? Are you even reading the benchmarks you yourself linked us to? I see a whole lot of benchies with the Asus 9600GT running about 5 frames faster than the 8800GTS 320MB. That's pretty "close" in my book. Yeah, the eVGA Superclocked card is easily getting 15 to 20 more frames, but that's because it's heavily overclocked. You can easily get a great overclock on the 8800GTS.

I have an 8800GTS 320MB (bought mine a few months after the Geforce 8 series was released). This is a hard choice in my book. The 9600GT is clearly the better performer, but I'm not a big fan of the single-slotted coolers they have on the 8800GT and 9600GT. In the end, you really can't go wrong with either card. You're not breaking the bank, but still getting great performance.

Pretty much. There are still a lot of older systems out there with an AGP slot, so ATI saw fit to stay in the market for awhile longer. Not much, though.

Any one of the cards mentioned in this thread (the 8800GTS 320, 8800GT, or 9600GT) would easily outperform the 7900GS.

EDIT:

Doesn't have the reference cooler and only $130 after rebate. There are two ECS 9600GTs on there for a little less, but ECS has put out some crap in the past.[/quote]

Nice try being smart n all, but i was talking close relative to the competition. Using your logic, the 8800gts is "only" 10fps away from the 8800gt.. so you're saying that is close too? COME ON buddy, everything is relative. If you had looked at all of those benches, not just a few, you'd notice that the 9600gt surpasses the 8800gts 320 in the majority of them. The 8800gts 320 even surpassed the 9600gt in one or two of the benches, but overall, the 9600gt leads by a noticeable margin.

Like i said, the 9600gt performs better, and costs less... why are you still misleading these people? There are tons of 9600gt's for $130 or less shipped.. just search slickdeals or anywhere else.. i don't know why you'd still want the 8800gts 320...... If you want to pay more for less.. be my guest...

Oh yeah, in addition to costing less and performing better, the 9600gt also produces less heat, doesn't need a dual slot cooler, uses a lot less power, is more efficient, has more headroom for future games, and because of the less heat and more efficient process, over clocks better than the 8800gts 320.

Here are some deals before i go:

pny 9600gt for $121 after rebate. No tax, free shipping from amazon.com: http://slickdeals.net/?permadeal=12121#direct_deal_12121 The rebate is in the slickdeals link, and the deal ends today (you must buy by today 4/18 to qualify for the rebate)

Also in that thread is the palit 9600gt from ZZF for $117 after rebate, which lasts til 4/30

And incase you guys STILL want the 8800gts 320 for any reason, here's an EVGA for $115 after a $30 rebate +$8 shipping, which is still better than the deal posted by the op: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16814130082

Nice try being smart n all
How was I "smart n all?" By asking if you actually read the benchmarks you posted? Sorry, but when you say something that clearly isn't the case, it leads me to believe that you didn't read them all, or you didn't read them closely. I apologize if you were offended by me asking a valid question.

but i was talking close relative to the competition.
I still don't think you are reading what you are preaching as proof. All that matters is that the Asus 9600GT, which is a pretty good example of something that is clocked close to the reference 9600GT, barely outperforms the reference for the 8800GTS 320MB.

Like i said, the 9600gt performs better, and costs less... why are you still misleading these people?
Again, it barely outperforms it. Five frames is not a lot. Also, it isn't cheaper. You can get this eVGA one linked in the OP for $115 on Newegg. Show me what 9600GT you can get for $115. You won't find it. The cheapest ones are the $125 ECS ones. And again, ECS is not known for the quality on their product or their service. EVGA, on the other hand, is one of the best video card companies out there. Also, if you bothered to actually read my whole post, instead of getting all hot under the collar, you would have clearly saw me suggest the Asus 9600GT for purchase. I'm really misleading the people, huh?

I'm done with this thread though, some of the ignorance on this forum is astounding.
Oh, the irony...it hurts...especially when you were one trying to scold me earlier for being "smart n all."

[quote name='TimPV3']Extreme bias? Look at the PC boards, maybe if they weren't so dead they'd care.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of like saying if I put up a random, empty board for PC gamers to discuss in, and people don't flood into it to discuss PC gaming, that PC gaming obviously is dying and has no audience.

I just feel console gamers, in general, treat PC gaming as if they were to try it, then somehow they'd be betraying their console roots. Thus, they just trash it constantly with insults that don't even make sense to people who actually use the PC for gaming.

I really do feel CAG would benefit greatly by attracting more PC gaming to the site, but as long as CAG views PC gaming as '2nd priority', then on CAG, that is what it will always be.

I got a PNY 8800 GT 512 for $160 after rebate from Amazon last month.

My only complaint (so far) is that it's f'ing HUGE. While it still fits in my Antec 900 case, there's not much wiggle room. How does it perform? I dunno, my AMD X2 6000 is still in the mail so the system isn't running yet :)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']

Doesn't have the reference cooler and only $130 after rebate. There are two ECS 9600GTs on there for a little less, but ECS has put out some crap in the past.[/QUOTE]

I bought this MSI 9600GT card which is $140 AR (I paid $155 AR at the beginning of March). It's a very nice card with a non-reference cooling design and preset overclock.

I like the MSI card for that money. Nice cooler and decent overclock (50 on the core and 50/100 on the memory) out of the box. Should be able to turn it up quite a bit more, though.

EDIT: I'll always be biased towards eVGA, though, thanks to their extremely liberal and user-friendly warranty, Step Up Program, and handling of RMA.

[quote name='wolve']I bought this MSI 9600GT card which is $140 AR (I paid $155 AR at the beginning of March). It's a very nice card with a non-reference cooling design and preset overclock.[/QUOTE]

That's nice and all but many Nvidia vendors (EVGA, BFG, XFX) have a lifetime warranty but this one only has a 1 year warranty?

But still, $140 is a damn good price.:whistle2:k

bread's done
Back