Nyko Frontman for PS3 Any CAG's planning on getting it?

[quote name='snakelda']I saw the GH drums and I like the way the cymbals are placed and will be quiter.I think RB 2 was supposedly just an expansion,I hope it comes with a better drum set.I'm actually starting to play songs on expert![/QUOTE]Yeah, the drums need silencers. I'm kind of embarrassed to play in my household since they make so much noise.

Just wanted to bump this thread and point out the Frontman is $6.95 (!) at Amazon today in their BF sale-- I picked one up almost for the hell of it, to see if maybe I could reduce some clutter and save some money... (as I'd like to move up from my TAC adapter with my PS2 guitar to play GHIII)

[quote name='Justin42']Just wanted to bump this thread and point out the Frontman is $6.95 (!) at Amazon today in their BF sale-- I picked one up almost for the hell of it, to see if maybe I could reduce some clutter and save some money... (as I'd like to move up from my TAC adapter with my PS2 guitar to play GHIII)[/QUOTE]
is it compatible with gh world tour? im guessing yes. but just wanna make sure

i also picked one up early this morning. it was a great price and i couldn't resist. i picked this up mostly cuz i needed a 2nd guitar for rock band. i plan to pick up the 2nd one but might just wait awhile til it is cheap. the guitar should work with rock band 2 since it is essentially the same game with new songs and a few new features. i hope this guitar will work with guitar hero world tour. i'll probably rent GHWT to try it out and see how well it works. and then if that goes well then i;ll buy it game only since i have all the rock band instruments already. i dont need another set of plastic drums sitting around so hopefully this lil plan of my will work out. lol

I picked one up today for $4.95. I've yet to buy any Guitar Hero or Rock Band Game. Would this work with Guitar Hero Aerosmith?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I doubt it unless Sony's patched the BC so that those games can use the wireless guitars with dongles.[/QUOTE]Actually, I don't believe an update could fix it, since I remember hearing guitars don't work with PS2 games (even with PS2 guitars + adapter) because Activision/Red Octane wanted to blog unlicensed accessories (and an adapter blocks it). Really hard to explain, but overall PS2 games do not work with a guitar on PS3.

Looks like I need to get one of these instead .

Compatibility Matrix
Guitar Hero I, II, 80's, III, Aerosmith, World Tour* for PlayStation 2 on PlayStation 2
Guitar Hero I, III, World Tour* for PlayStation 2 on PlayStation 3
Guitar Hero III, Aerosmith, World Tour* for PlayStation 3 on PlayStation 3
Rock Band, Rock Band 2 for PlayStation 2 on PlayStation 2
Rock Band, Rock Band 2 for PlayStation 3 on PlayStation 3
Rock Revolution for PlayStation3 on PlayStation 3

*not compatible with Guitar Hero World Tour music creation feature

http://store.theantcommandos.com/Double-Range-Guitar-Controller-for-PS2-and-PS3-p/drv-wl-blkv3.htm

Thanks for bumping this thread, looks like I'll finally get a ps3 guitar, then off to ebay to find a cheap copy of GH3 I suppose.

I went ahead and ordered 2 for $5. But after reading the reviews on Amazon, it sounds like they only sorta work with Rock Band 2, and didn't see anything about whether they work on World Tour.

Could anyone who already has it give a little first hand info on how well they work with RB2 and GH:WT?

[quote name='Abalistar']I went ahead and ordered 2 for $5. But after reading the reviews on Amazon, it sounds like they only sorta work with Rock Band 2, and didn't see anything about whether they work on World Tour.

Could anyone who already has it give a little first hand info on how well they work with RB2 and GH:WT?[/QUOTE]

I own the Nyko Frontman Guitar for PS3 and I can confirm that it works for RB 1 & 2 for sure w/ no hitches. I am also very positive that it will work for GHs since the usb adapter has a mode to switch between RB & GH. Besides, if it works for GH 3 fine then it should work for GH:WT fine, too.

For those hesitant, want to save money, like GH-style guitars, and dislike RB Strats, you should definitely pick this up. The guitar requires 3 AA batteries and even has an FX switch for the RBs. The only drawbacks with this guitar are the following (all are minor complaints, though): fatter neck than GHs, positioning of the guitar while wearing the guitar strap, and the joystick for navigating across menus.

I bought this guitar for $60 when it came out and I think its current price right now is a STEAL. If I remember correctly, this guitar is the best 3rd-party solution on the PS3 (after alotta lurking through RB forums). And in my opinion, Les Paul >> Nyko >>>>> Stratocaster (I am not fond of squishy strum bar, depressed buttons, and longer-reaching whammy bar).

[quote name='evergoo']I own the Nyko Frontman Guitar for PS3 and I can confirm that it works for RB 1 & 2 for sure w/ no hitches. I am also very positive that it will work for GHs since the usb adapter has a mode to switch between RB & GH. Besides, if it works for GH 3 fine then it should work for GH:WT fine, too.

For those hesitant, want to save money, like GH-style guitars, and dislike RB Strats, you should definitely pick this up. The guitar requires 3 AA batteries and even has an FX switch for the RBs. The only drawbacks with this guitar are the following (all are minor complaints, though): fatter neck than GHs, positioning of the guitar while wearing the guitar strap, and the joystick for navigating across menus.

I bought this guitar for $60 when it came out and I think its current price right now is a STEAL. If I remember correctly, this guitar is the best 3rd-party solution on the PS3 (after alotta lurking through RB forums). And in my opinion, Les Paul >> Nyko >>>>> Stratocaster (I am not fond of squishy strum bar, depressed buttons, and longer-reaching whammy bar).[/QUOTE]
That's great to hear. The Amazon reviews seemed to mention that the tilt sensor and effects switch didn't work in RB2. I too am not a huge fan of the Stratocasters. Every time I play with one, it just feels really cheap and like the strum bar is just gonna snap off.

The Nyko says the PS3 version works for ps2 Rockband. But when I tried it, it behaves like the green button were constantly pressed. I got the same results with the ps2 rockband on both Ps2 and PS3. And I tried 2 different ones I ordered.
Anyone else tried the ps2 rockband on their PS3 with this guitar?

[quote name='Abalistar']That's great to hear. The Amazon reviews seemed to mention that the tilt sensor and effects switch didn't work in RB2. I too am not a huge fan of the Stratocasters. Every time I play with one, it just feels really cheap and like the strum bar is just gonna snap off.[/QUOTE]I never tested it with RB2. I guess that's something I will do today.

EDIT: I tested the tilt sensor and it works fine in RB2; however, I tested it in RB mode (The reviewer might have had it in GH3 mode).

I'm actually one of those people who LOVES the strat. It's what I play best with.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I never tested it with RB2. I guess that's something I will do today.

EDIT: I tested the tilt sensor and it works fine in RB2; however, I tested it in RB mode (The reviewer might have had it in GH3 mode).

I'm actually one of those people who LOVES the strat. It's what I play best with.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks for checking. And yeah, the reviewers all said it wouldn't work on RB2 in RB mode, and they had to have it in GH mode... I'm now wondering what the hell they were all smoking.

Now I'll just need to find me some drums. 2 guitars for $5 each, and $44 Rock Band 2... I just need to find another deal like the $30 drums so I can keep this streak of awesomely cheap rockin' out equipment going. :lol:

[quote name='m_d_amore']whats the little knob thingy under the strum bar do or supposed to do?[/quote]
post #66 second paragraph, second sentance, try reading at least one page before asking

I have this guitar. It works with RB2 and GHWT no problems. I just dont like it as much as I thought I would. Anyways, bought the GHWT guitar bundle last night for $60 on Amazon. Will sell the game and keep the guitar for $20! Woot!

[quote name='shadowkast']post #66 second paragraph, second sentance, try reading at least one page before asking[/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair, the post doesn't really say exactly what the FX switch is. It just says that there is one on it.

[quote name='shadowkast']post #66 second paragraph, second sentance, try reading at least one page before asking[/QUOTE]

yea thanks jerky

ive been using a react gh3 guitar for the RBs so never knew

you can get off your high horse now

[quote name='Abalistar']Well, to be fair, the post doesn't really say exactly what the FX switch is. It just says that there is one on it.[/quote]
yeah I guess so
[quote name='m_d_amore']yea thanks jerky

ive been using a react gh3 guitar for the RBs so never knew

you can get off your high horse now[/quote]

my bad, my bad didn't mean to come off like that.

Got my $5 nyko tonite, works fine with RB2 (with the switch to GH) It registers as if the green in pressed in constantly. And the FX switch therefore doen't work in this mode, no biggie.

It takes getting used to I guess. I hated the strat when I first started using it, now I prefer it. I really would like to get a GH:WT guitar as I've heard it is kinda a happy medium between GH III les paul and RB1 strat. less clicky, less squishy, whatever.

sorry for being a jerky jerk jerkface

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the same
issue in rockband 2... green button stuck or in rapid fi mode in rb mode. works fire in gh mode... issue is on nyko's site and they say firmware 2.52 broke rb support, but it works in gh mode

I bought four of these, 3 for gifts. I used it tonight and the night before and it works great in Rock Band 2 in GH mode. Even the start power tilt is recognized which is cool. At first I hated it, but once I got use to the size of the neck, it was fine.

They have to have lost money on the shipping cost alone. That box was huge and I also wish I had bought two. Great guitar!

I can't get either of the two I got to connect. Tried in RB and GH mode, unplugging and plugging the dongle, taking out and putting the batteries back in, and hitting the link buttons multiple times. The Nyko button just keeps blinking. One of them would flash red once or twice, but wouldn't actually be connected.

It's hard to believe I got TWO faulty ones, there has to be something I'm doing wrong.

Now I can get one to connect, but it constantly drops it's connection. :/

EDIT:Nevermind, got one to work, the receiver of the other one seems fucked though. I didn't want to have to send back such a big damn box. Grrraarrg... But so far, the guitar that works is pretty snazzy, even if I can't play with the effects switch throughout the song.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back