Nyko Rechargable Battery Packs

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/09/nykos-wii-chargeable-station/

wiichargestation.jpg

Looking forward to this if the price is right. Only other question is if I can have the controller glove on and recharge this at the same time, and odds are the answer is no... so the convenience of not having to roll that off to change batteries would be lost.

eh, yeah. I still think rechargeable AAs are the way to go, but if these packs give you forever-long play time, it might be worth it.

[quote name='daroga']eh, yeah. I still think rechargeable AAs are the way to go, but if these packs give you forever-long play time, it might be worth it.[/quote]Or they'll end up like those Wavebird battery packs that are in every GameRush that hold a charge for two minutes. We'll see.

[quote name='botticus']Or they'll end up like those Wavebird battery packs that are in every GameRush that hold a charge for two minutes. We'll see.[/quote]hehe, true.

In the end, I'm always wary of 3rd party accessories, especially anything dealing with power. I refuse to have anything but genuine 1st party AC adapters for my systems. Though there's less that could go wrong with a battery back vs. a power supply, it's still something I'm pretty wary of.

[quote name='daroga']hehe, true.

In the end, I'm always wary of 3rd party accessories, especially anything dealing with power. I refuse to have anything but genuine 1st party AC adapters for my systems. Though there's less that could go wrong with a battery back vs. a power supply, it's still something I'm pretty wary of.[/quote]I agree I don't like buying third party, but this does look pretty cool. If the price is right (and I mean no more than $25) because I can charge 2 remotes at once, I might get it if it has good reviews because you can get plain rechargeables for $15-$20.

The fact that the whole battery compartment is changed by this charge pack concerns me. Also the fact that the weight of the Wiimote, which is perfect right now, could be affected by these battery packs would be a huge problem.

I really like the idea, but I don't want it to change the way the Wiimote currently feels.

I went out and got a 4 pack of rechargeables for my Wiimotes the other weekend after draining 4 sets of AAs but if CAG reviews of the Nyko packs are positive, I might thinking about it.

[quote name='lebowsky']The fact that the whole battery compartment is changed by this charge pack concerns me. Also the fact that the weight of the Wiimote, which is perfect right now, could be affected by these battery packs would be a huge problem.

I really like the idea, but I don't want it to change the way the Wiimote currently feels.

I went out and got a 4 pack of rechargeables for my Wiimotes the other weekend after draining 4 sets of AAs but if CAG reviews of the Nyko packs are positive, I might thinking about it.[/quote]Well the 360 also has this rechargable pack technolgy for it's wireless controller and it does not add any weight to the controller. I wouldn't be too concerned about weight because it will probably weight the same as two AAs but I would be more concerned with how good this is with holding charges .

[quote name='botticus']http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/09/nykos-wii-chargeable-station/

wiichargestation.jpg

Looking forward to this if the price is right. Only other question is if I can have the controller glove on and recharge this at the same time, and odds are the answer is no... so the convenience of not having to roll that off to change batteries would be lost.[/QUOTE]

Actually from the photo it looks like it may be possible. The connector is at the bottom unlike the Joytech ones(also in your link) which have connectors on the back, which would be impossible with a glove on.

Everyone is forgetting something...
Where does the wrist strap go??!???!?

It sure won't look so pretty when you have the wrist strap bulging out some corner of the setup.

The Charge Station is $29.99. I contacted Nyko as I have previously had them send me stuff for review. Trying to see if they would send me Wii products. Too bad I lost the business card of the Nyko representative who sent me PSP items.

[quote name='jasonlotp']Everyone is forgetting something...
Where does the wrist strap go??!???!?

It sure won't look so pretty when you have the wrist strap bulging out some corner of the setup.[/quote]

The batteries will be charged through a hole on the back cover and not on the bottom. As long as the strap fits somewhere in the back, it shouldn't be that bad of a problem.

If you guys are looking to buy a charging station at all, it'll have to be third party after Reggie stated that Nintendo won't be coming out with anything similar...

I just hope they do a better job than the 360 battery packs Nyko Made and the charger set. The battery packs they made do not fit wll into the 360 controller and need to be jammed in.

Damn, $30, I been looking around and energizer has a charger that does both AA and AAA batteries (plus comes with 4 AA batteries perfect for my 2 Wiimotes) for like $18 at wal mart, I need AAA's for my Ti-89 might just splurge on that than the charge station because my Intercooler went crap today so I am kinda weary about buying a Nyko product.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Damn, $30, I been looking around and energizer has a charger that does both AA and AAA batteries (plus comes with 4 AA batteries perfect for my 2 Wiimotes) for like $18 at wal mart, I need AAA's for my Ti-89 might just splurge on that than the charge station because my Intercooler went crap today so I am kinda weary about buying a Nyko product.[/quote]

I think that is the way to go, especially for you. It's $10 cheaper and you can use it for your calculator as well. I'm using the same charger and I have been happy with it for my digital camera as well as my Wii.

If you just want regular AA or AAA batteries, Target has a deal where you can get 48 Rayovac batteries (2 packs; supposed to be as good as Energizer) for $16-17 bucks PLUS you get a free $5 Target gift card.

Deal is good until the first week or two in February, but it may be YMMV.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Damn, $30, I been looking around and energizer has a charger that does both AA and AAA batteries (plus comes with 4 AA batteries perfect for my 2 Wiimotes) for like $18 at wal mart, I need AAA's for my Ti-89 might just splurge on that than the charge station because my Intercooler went crap today so I am kinda weary about buying a Nyko product.[/QUOTE]
I just bought that Energizer charger you are talking about that comes with 4 NiMH 2500 E2 batteries. It has a 8 hour charge time and can also charge AAA batteries. It was $19.99 at Target. I'll see how long the charge lasts as this is my first set of rechargeable AA batteries.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but has anyone been able to find one of these in store? They seemed to be all sold out online, and I'm not really sure if any stores have started selling them yet. Thanks ahead of time.

Ooh shit, didnt know these were out. I might have to go pick one of these bad boys up and right a small review on it.

Just got back from CC and i bought me one of these.

It works very well, and i will come back later to tell you how long the batteries last.

The only annoyance i have with it right now is that the wrist strap is kind of in the way when i want to charge it, and you have to move it around a little bit to get it to charge.

But other than that, not having to buy batteries, like ever, is fantastic, and the new battery cover is REALLY nice with the grip it has.

Overall, I really like this, and it was a good buy for me.

So apparently im an idiot, because i found out that there is a little indention on the charger for to wrist straps to be placed in.

So the one pet peeve i had about it is all due to user error :lol:

and FYI, i got about 4 hours of Wii sports/DBZ and it brought the battery to 3 bars.

Which i think is hella good :applause:

So the battery pack covers themselves - they are a different color than the Wiimote's paint, aye? I've seen some pictures where it's a noticeably different gray color, and then some where it was a white color that blended in.

I'm just curious. Have no idea if I'd want to pick something like this up or not. But I really like the idea of something being in a (usually) always-charged mode when I pick it up.

Hmm. Decisions.

I also posted the below in the deals forum, but it's useful here too:

I was looking around this morning for 3rd party wiimote charging solutions, and this was the best deal I could find via froogle/amazon/ebay, etc.

http://www.gamebaz.com/?a=i&i=5599

The only negative is the text that will be visible on the underside of the wiimote, but that doesn't really bother me.

This was the only review I could find: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55260

I ordered two for a total of $23.41 USD shipped.

I'm definitely getting it. Nyko is pretty trustworthy, and I'm tired of always having to be wary about the charge of my batteries and then having to replace them. :bomb:

[quote name='Pestilence']Overall, I really like this, and it was a good buy for me.[/QUOTE]

Do you think their's any chance that the controller would be able to charge with a controller skin on it? I know that their's a rubber grip for the battery, and that I would still need to modify the skin in some way to enable it to charge, but I was just wondering if you thought it was possible. I currently have two controller skins, and it would suck to have to take them off before every charge. Thanks.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']Do you think their's any chance that the controller would be able to charge with a controller skin on it? I know that their's a rubber grip for the battery, and that I would still need to modify the skin in some way to enable it to charge, but I was just wondering if you thought it was possible. I currently have two controller skins, and it would suck to have to take them off before every charge. Thanks.[/quote]

actually, they wouldnt fit, the gold prongs on the controller can barely touch the charging station as is. you really got to get it flush for it to charge properly.

Sorry but the skins are probably gonna have to go, if you get one of these.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']Do you think their's any chance that the controller would be able to charge with a controller skin on it? I know that their's a rubber grip for the battery, and that I would still need to modify the skin in some way to enable it to charge, but I was just wondering if you thought it was possible. I currently have two controller skins, and it would suck to have to take them off before every charge. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
You dont have to remove them off completely. Just lift it high enough that the controller skin doesnt get in the way.

Why on earth anyone would trust 3rd party companies who can't even make a decent controller to supply power to their game equipment is beyond me.

Just get some rechargeable AAs made by a company who knows how to make batteries. Save yourself some headache and potentially fried remote / voided warranty.

I've purchased a few Nyko products in the past and they worked fine. For me, it's easier to have rechargable batteries dedicated for the Wii and have time inside the controller w/o having to take out the clip and batteries (yes, I'm lazy) so it works for what I want.

The charger's been good as I've had them for nearly a week and they seem to last the same as regular AA's that I've been using.

Does anyone have any feedback on the wiimote charger made by Intec? I found one at my local CC for $24.99.

I like the fact that it charges via USB (it'll work when I move back to Singapore, and I won't have to mess with transformers or adaptors), but I'm not too sure if Intec can be trusted for stuff like this.

[quote name='doomgaze_86']Does anyone have any feedback on the wiimote charger made by Intec? I found one at my local CC for $24.99.

I like the fact that it charges via USB (it'll work when I move back to Singapore, and I won't have to mess with transformers or adaptors), but I'm not too sure if Intec can be trusted for stuff like this.[/QUOTE]
All these rechargeable battery packs being released for the Wii all charge via USB.

I just purchased the Intec one to try out. Not going to keep it though.

The dock can hold 2 Wiimotes, but it can only charge 1 battery at a time. The rechargeable battery has to be removed from the Wiimote and placed into the dock's charging slot, instead of being charged directly through the Wiimote. I'd much rather have 2 Wiimotes fully charged and ready to go when I have friends over.

I'm probably going to return these and get some rechargeable AAs.. Does anyone have feedback on those hybrids by Rayovac (which should be similar to the Sanyo Eneloops if I'm not wrong)?

Anyone else bought this? I'm getting a Wii soon and this is something that I would be interested in assuming that it works properly.

I would just go with the rechargeable AA's because you can use the batteries in other stuff. Speaking from experience if you keep buying dedicated batteries for every device you own then you will run up a huge bill on batteries especially if these devices take AA batteries. Rechargeable AA batteries will cost a lot less than buying dedicated batteries for everything you own.

You can purchase AA rechargeables very cheaply nowadays, if you are using anything that is a high drain device I highly recommend them as they will save you tons of money in the long run.

Also energizer rechargeable batteries suck, I recommend either buying at wal-mart or online. I have had much better luck with no name brand rechargeable nimh batteries than I have with energizer rechargeables!

[quote name='SaraAB']I would just go with the rechargeable AA's because you can use the batteries in other stuff. Speaking from experience if you keep buying dedicated batteries for every device you own then you will run up a huge bill on batteries especially if these devices take AA batteries. Rechargeable AA batteries will cost a lot less than buying dedicated batteries for everything you own.

You can purchase AA rechargeables very cheaply nowadays, if you are using anything that is a high drain device I highly recommend them as they will save you tons of money in the long run.

Also energizer rechargeable batteries suck, I recommend either buying at wal-mart or online. I have had much better luck with no name brand rechargeable nimh batteries than I have with energizer rechargeables![/QUOTE]

I will second the bottom of the post.

Energizers are pure junk.. I had four charged and ready to go and we ran out of juice at a party this past weekend... well guess what the Energizers are completely dead and wont accept a charge. I use other brands even harbor Freight $3.99 Nimh for 4 AA's and they lasted much longer, and are still taking charges fine.

I will not buy another energizer product again.

I just bought this a few days ago and they work great. Very nice to have the motes fully charged at all times and not have to worry about changing batteries.

Since 4 AA batteries and a charger usually run about $20, I'd say the convenience alone is worth the extra $10 for something like this. The real question is how long will they hold charges after 6 months of use.

Well, I've had this thing for a week and there is one flaw that's threatening me to return it to the store. The Wiimotes don't sit exactly in the correct position on the charger automatically. I picked up the mote yesterday and it was almost discharged becuase it wasn't actually on the charger and I didn't notice becuase it's behind a door in the entertainment center.

It needs a tighter fit or some kind of 'snap-in-place' slot so that it can't come of the charger accidentally. You can knock it of the charging contacts with just a slight nudge and it takes 2-3 tries to get it back on the rack correctly. It's pretty annoying to the point where I'm thinking of returning it.

Picked this up at Sam's last weekend for $33 with an 8' component cable in the pack. Since BB charges $2 more than that for the cable alone, seemed like quite the deal. You do have to be deliberate to place them so they'll charge (can't just drop them in), but it takes less than 2 seconds to do it right, and seems to work really well. The rubber grip is excellent as well, and I question the need for skins as opposed to this new battery door.

[quote name='geko29']The rubber grip is excellent as well, and I question the need for skins as opposed to this new battery door.[/quote]

Personally I use the skins to differentiate the wiimotes. My Wiimote has the black/green zelda skin with the triforce on it. My G/F has a pink skin with princess peach on it.

I wish there were an adequate solution that allowed both the controller skins AND rechargable batteries (without having to pull the skins off - takes bloody forever... and kinda feels dirty ;) )

Rechargeable AA batteries, they deplete after a week or two, even you don't play the Wii... It kinda suck balls, but i always have spares, so it's not an issue. Why can't the Wii just charge the Wiimote? If you add up the little things you buy for the Wii, there's a big chunck of change. I happen to have rechargeable batteries, so that's a "free" given. I'm way too cheap to buy the protective skins, i don't the point of them at all (except maybe different color to distinguish #1 or #2).

Here's my advice, use rechargeable AA and have some spares on the side... For parties, have some real batteries on the side (when they are on sale, you can get a good brand for pretty good price).

Why bother with this $30 piece of thing? I won't call it junk, but to me it is... I don't like plug things in the outlet most of the times, b/c it adds more on the electric bill.

This one thing i find the PS3 is well designed, you can charge the controllers via USB. What does that mean? If you're on the computer doing stuffs, you can charge the controllers. Heck, you can even charge the controller when you're playing the PS3. That's what i do, i got two controllers and one is plug in charging while the other is in use. I never got battery problems with the Sixaxis. On the other hand, the Wii, i almost always use my spare rechargeable AAs.

[quote name='JosephD1014']Personally I use the skins to differentiate the wiimotes. My Wiimote has the black/green zelda skin with the triforce on it. My G/F has a pink skin with princess peach on it.[/quote]

You'll have to forgive me because my wii is new (and broken), but I still don't see the need. Just like my 360, whichever wiimote you turn on first is controller #1. Why do you need to tell them apart?

bread's done
Back