NYKO Zoom for Kinect $4.99

SyxxHallNash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The NYKO Zoom is normally $29.99, on sale right now for $19.99. On your Best Buy reward zone card you can activate a $15 off coupon making it $4.99. For anyone interested in getting one, my living room is small, I'm tall and I have a ceiling fan. This may help and for $5, why not give it a shot. This is also the first deal I've made a topic for, so forgive me if I've done something wrong.

Save $15 on Nyko Zoom for Kinect
Feeling a bit cramped when playing your favorite Kinect games? Zoom for Kinect lets you get close to the action. Microsoft Kinect for Xbox 360 sold separately.

Offer expires: 10/13/2012

The Zoom for Kinect reduces the amount of space needed to play Kinect games by up to 40%. A wide-angle lens allows two people to play comfortably in a small space, while the plug-and-play design makes it easy to set up, with no additional cables, software or tuning required. For a limited time, save $15.

Offer available at Best Buy® stores only.
To redeem, claim offer and show coupon or Reward Zone member number at purchase.

the kinect works fine in my gf's bedroom, so I'm hesitant to get this as I've heard it sucks and also that it sort or works. I could move the kinect to a more convenient location instead of in the corner of the room on a dresser.

I've heard some very negative things about this product (the worst of which that it can actually scratch your Kinect's lens). But I'm going to give it a try to see if it fixes some of the detection problems I've been having by being too close to the Kinect.

It does say markdown taken from regular prices - what's the consensus on these coupons? They stack with sales usually? Our Kinect setup is not ideal and I'm basically inches away from the couch to make Kinect happy so this could be useful.

I bought this when it originally came out and it does do what it says it will. Before i got it i had to place the kinect sensor on a shelf that was probably 2 feet behind the tv and that was also 2 feet above the tv for us to be able to use the kinect properly.Now the kinect is placed directly on top of the tv and it works just as good as when it didnt have the zoom lens on it and was 2 feet above/behind the tv.

Kinect works in my almost too small room, I simply put it on top of a stack of games I have leaned against the wall. I only have room for one person, but for the price I paid for my kinect it works perfectly and I am the only one playing it most of the time so space for 1 is all I need.

I bought one of these yesterday........didn't work worth a shit. I spent today rearranging the man room in attempts to use this thing. I wish that I never bought the kinnect.

If you have your TV near a wall you need to put the kinect right up against the wall. Make a stack of something, books or games or something right next to your TV, and put the kinect on that. This will give you more space to work with. Maybe it will work for someone else besides me. Also you could wall mount it, but I can't see anyone wanting to drill holes in their wall for a kinect mount that will likely become obsolete in a few years, if you even keep it that long.

I am not sure how MS expects us to use these things, I don't know ANYONE in my whole area who has a house with 6-10 feet of space lengthwise and width wise in front of their TV with no obstructions in between. The one person I know who does have a large house doesn't have that much space where the TV is located. Especially when a lot of games now have kinect features and when the kinect is required to get achievements. Most people are using these things in kids bedrooms and small apartments, not in houses with huge living rooms. Sure you can make it work but it does take some tweaking but I doubt too many people are using it with multiple people playing at the same time.

The Wii and the Move work fine in 3-5 feet of space, both of which I have used successfully in as little as 3-4 feet of space.

don't get the zoom! you'll regret it.

it's a wide angle lens which is how it lets you get closer to the Kinect. the problem is because it's a wide angle lens, it distorts the viewing area for the Kinect, and it forces you to play closer and forces you to play in a smaller zone.

the normal kinect zone is between 6-10 feet. this gives you enough room to go forward or backward or sideways in the kinect game. step outside the zone and the kinect will tell you to step back if you're too close or step forward if you're too far.

the zoom basically squishes this zone so that it's wider but narrower. so instead of being able to move around in a typical kinect zone, you have this tiny window to move around. so for kinect games that have you move in all directions, it's quite easy to step out of the reading zone with the Zoom. people think the zoom will expand their area from the normal 6-10 feet to something like 3-10 feet but it's really changing the zone to 3-5 feet.

And because it's a wide angle lens that stretches the area, in games when you have to step sideways, for a normal Kinect setup, when you step to the left 1 foot, your character moves to the left 1 foot in the game (or whatever the distance is for the game). But with the Zoom, it's stretching your movement.

But it's not only that. Because of the distortion, some games act really wonky with the Zoom.

If you don't have the space for the Kinect, then you're basically using it for voice commands and hand gesture navigation.

Most people in the typical living room home theater scenario sit 6-10 feet away anyway so they basically have to move the coffee table away to use the Kinect. The Kinect is not really meant for a kid's bedroom scenario.

That aside, it's only $5. You can spend $5 for a bad fast food meal so it's not much harm or foul. And if it works for you in the games that you enjoy, that's a win.

The best tip for playing closer to the TV with a Kinect is to put the Kinect higher. because what happens is the Kinect needs to see the floor and it needs to see the farthest part of you (seeing your fingertips when you raise your arms above your head). So when the kinect is placed high, it's looking downward so it's easier to see the floor and you. But if you put the Kinect below the TV (and the kinect's viewing angle is like a cone), to see both the floor and your whole body, you basically have to step further back. So you can probably trim a foot or so off your distance from the Kinect and get better scoring performance.

[quote name='dirtyvu']don't get the zoom! you'll regret it.

it's a wide angle lens which is how it lets you get closer to the Kinect. the problem is because it's a wide angle lens, it distorts the viewing area for the Kinect, and it forces you to play closer and forces you to play in a smaller zone.

the normal kinect zone is between 6-10 feet. this gives you enough room to go forward or backward or sideways in the kinect game. step outside the zone and the kinect will tell you to step back if you're too close or step forward if you're too far.

the zoom basically squishes this zone so that it's wider but narrower. so instead of being able to move around in a typical kinect zone, you have this tiny window to move around. so for kinect games that have you move in all directions, it's quite easy to step out of the reading zone with the Zoom. people think the zoom will expand their area from the normal 6-10 feet to something like 3-10 feet but it's really changing the zone to 3-5 feet.

And because it's a wide angle lens that stretches the area, in games when you have to step sideways, for a normal Kinect setup, when you step to the left 1 foot, your character moves to the left 1 foot in the game (or whatever the distance is for the game). But with the Zoom, it's stretching your movement.

But it's not only that. Because of the distortion, some games act really wonky with the Zoom.

If you don't have the space for the Kinect, then you're basically using it for voice commands and hand gesture navigation.

Most people in the typical living room home theater scenario sit 6-10 feet away anyway so they basically have to move the coffee table away to use the Kinect. The Kinect is not really meant for a kid's bedroom scenario.

That aside, it's only $5. You can spend $5 for a bad fast food meal so it's not much harm or foul. And if it works for you in the games that you enjoy, that's a win.

The best tip for playing closer to the TV with a Kinect is to put the Kinect higher. because what happens is the Kinect needs to see the floor and it needs to see the farthest part of you (seeing your fingertips when you raise your arms above your head). So when the kinect is placed high, it's looking downward so it's easier to see the floor and you. But if you put the Kinect below the TV (and the kinect's viewing angle is like a cone), to see both the floor and your whole body, you basically have to step further back. So you can probably trim a foot or so off your distance from the Kinect and get better scoring performance.[/QUOTE]

^ This pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

I bought one last year and it just made everything so much worse. Fruit Ninja Kinect is practically unplayable with this thing. Also, yes it did scratch my kinect lens as well.

Be very careful putting this on and taking it off guys its really easy to scrach the kinect lenses with this thing. Plus it really does not work well everything gets jumpy

Tried today to get it. They didn't know how to get the discount to work first, and then said its off regular price (30) not the sale price (20). Figured it was worth the gamble at $5, but not above that.

bread's done
Back