O/T — DVDs with cult followings

jaso

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
Alright, so I know this is off-topic from DVD deals, but I need help. I'm piecing together a news story on movies that have either been reborn on DVD or have established cult followings after being released on DVD. So far my list is limited to:

Donnie Darko
Super Troopers
The Crow
Requiem For A Dream

Any other additions? Suggestions?

I'm not sure if this counts but Napoleon Dynamite kind of fits in this category. It became huge after its release on DVD.

Also:
Nightmare Before Christmas
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Clerks

that's all I could think of for now

[quote name='munch']I'm not sure if this counts but Napoleon Dynamite kind of fits in this category. It became huge after its release on DVD.[/quote]

and deserves to ROT IN HELL! It's a shame a piece of shit like that can become so insanely popular.

The Crow is awesome..

Pulp Fiction!

I remember reading about how much more popular Brother Bear was on DVD than it was in the theater. Apparently, its success was because of the commentary track by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas, which was basically them recreating their Bob & Doug McKenzie characters.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='munch']I'm not sure if this counts but Napoleon Dynamite kind of fits in this category. It became huge after its release on DVD.[/quote]

and deserves to ROT IN HELL! It's a shame a piece of shit like that can become so insanely popular.

The Crow is awesome..

Pulp Fiction![/quote]

Maybe it will rot in hell, GOSH!!!!

I love Napoleon Dynamite. i thought it was refreshingly unique.

I'm not sure about Pulp Fiction. It had a huge following in the theaters and the enthusiasm carried over into the DVD. if anything Reservoir Dogs is more akin to this category.

You didn't post this to the right spot you should have put in the Off-Topic Discussion.

Another set of movies would be all of Kevin Smith's films outside of Jersey Girl.

Jay and Silent Bob: Strike Back
Dogma
Chasing Amy
Mallrats
and my personal favorite Clerks

As much as I would love to include Pulp Fiction, it did have a comfortable ride at the box office. But it's one of my favorite DVDs and its the model for what all collector's edition DVDs should strive to be.

Matter of fact you can't beat Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That has got to be the funniest movie I have seen in my life. "I, fart in your general direction"

[quote name='cdeener']You didn't post this to the right spot you should have put in the Off-Topic Discussion.

Another set of movies would be all of Kevin Smith's films outside of Jersey Girl.

Jay and Silent Bob: Strike Back
Dogma
Chasing Amy
Mallrats
and my personal favorite Clerks[/quote]

Jersey Girl
Vulgar
A Better Place
The Drawing Files
An Evening with Kevin Smith
Clerks Animated

I'd say the Matrix. Sure it was very popular in the theaters, but to me this was pretty much the must have DVD for almost every house when DVDs started to really replace VHS.

I'd also go with:
Austin Powers
Breakfast Club
Clockwork Orange
Evil Dead (all three)
Princess Bride
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Scarface
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

I'll let you know if I can think of any more

Edit: Oops, forgot Office Space

[quote name='ctice44']I'd also go with:
Austin Powers
Breakfast Club
Clockwork Orange
Evil Dead (all three)
Princess Bride
Scarface
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

I'll let you know if I can think of any more

Oops, forgot Office Space[/quote]

Office Space yeah, but pretty much no for the rest. Maybe the Evil Dead's, but even then that is pushing it.

Another great cult movie is Harold & Maude - although like many of the movies being mentioned it was a cult hit before the DVD format even existed so it really doesn't fit in with your article.

[quote name='Machine']Another great cult movie is Harold & Maude - although like many of the movies being mentioned it was a cult hit before the DVD format even existed so it really doesn't fit in with your article.[/quote]

Yeah, that would be a good one if the format was different. My co-worker had the idea for DVDs in specific because she wanted to put Frank the Bunny from Donnie Darko on the cover of our newspaper's entertainment section this week.

Go, Idle Hands, Boondock Saints, Swingers, Rules of Attraction, American History X, Donnie Darko, and Old School all come to mind.

I'd say Office Space, The Matrix (no one saw it in the theater and the franchise is huge), Austin Powers (ditto), Rushmore... I'll think of some more later...

[quote name='javeryh']The Matrix (no one saw it in the theater and the franchise is huge)...[/quote]

I saw it in the theater :D

[quote name='munch'][quote name='javeryh']The Matrix (no one saw it in the theater and the franchise is huge)...[/quote]

I saw it in the theater :D[/quote]

So did I but I also saw Johnny Mnemonic so obviously I'll see just about anything with a scifi theme and starring Keanu Reeves...

Just about anything by Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky....I'll think of more.

EDIT: Oh yeah, someone mentioned Cohen Brothers, forgot them.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='munch']I'm not sure if this counts but Napoleon Dynamite kind of fits in this category. It became huge after its release on DVD.[/quote]

The Crow is awesome..

Pulp Fiction![/quote]

Agreed. Napoleon Dynamite is such a piece of shit movie that I can never believe the huge amount of praize that it recieves is true. That movie sucked .

Fight Club
Snatch
Army of Darkness (Evil Dead)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Trainspotting
THE STONED AGE

Pink Flamingos... you have to have a strong stomach to watch it through the end :). Most John Waters films have a cult following, but this is his most famous/infamous with the 'surprise' ending :).

[quote name='hardwo0d']Fight Club
Snatch
Army of Darkness (Evil Dead)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Trainspotting
THE STONED AGE[/quote]

TRAINSPOTTING! Good call!

Although they are somewhat similar, I don't see this thread as movies that grossed more on DVD than they did in the box office, or even movies that didn't bank at the box office. I see it as movies that have created a large [cult] following -- especially once they hit DVD/VHS -- regardless of the money they've made.

My list would include, but is not limited to:

Army of Darkness
Being John Malkovich
Big Lebowski, The
Big Trouble in Little China
Boondock Saints
Breakfast Club, The
Clerks / Mallrats / Chasing Amy / Dogma / Jay and Silent Bob Stike Back
Crow, The
Dawn of the Dead
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Goonies
Grease
Half Baked
Labrynth, The
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Napoleon Dynamite
Night of the Living Dead
Nightmare Before Christmas, The
Lord of the Rings
Lost Boys, The
Office Space
Princess Bride, The
Requiem for a Dream / Pi
Reservoir Dogs
Rushmore
Saturday Night Fever
Scarface
Shaun of the Dead (in the UK)
Snatch
Spinal Tap
Star Wars
Trainspotting

Of course, most of these movies had cult followings long before they were released on DVD or VHS. I'll leave it to you to pick which ones were reborn once they hit DVD.

Scarface. It seems like right when everyone wanted it they took it out of print. Then when it was re-released as an anniversary edition everybody jumped on it.

Boondock Saints. Go buy it now. One of my favorite movies of all time. Also, see Equilibrium. That is pretty good as well.

Tom Green was on Howard Stern one time, his Freddy Got Fingered has made him more money since being on DVD then it ever did in the theaters.

[quote name='javeryh']I'd say Office Space, The Matrix (no one saw it in the theater and the franchise is huge), Austin Powers (ditto), Rushmore... I'll think of some more later...[/quote]

The Matrix did about $170 million in domestic box office alone. That definitely disqualifies it from cult status.

O Brother Where Art Thou? would be a great addition. I was working at Blockbuster when it was released on DVD and we couldn't keep it in stock up to 8 months after it came out.

I'll just reiterate these:
Austin Powers
Fight Club - Only made $37 million at the box office.

And as a hope for the future:
Bubba Ho-Tep

3 pages and no mention of Mel Brooks films?
Spaceballs
History of the World Part 1
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein

bread's done
Back