Oblivion Fragments the XBOX 360 Hard Drive?

Or, you know they could have just programmed it to automatically clear the cache?

I'm not terribly upset but this seems like a somewhat lazy oversight.

I have been experiencing this problem myself, was wondering what the deal is.

After a few hours it started taking FOREVER every time I wanted to look at my map, change weapons, take potion, or basically anything that involved pulling up the item menu... also NPC voice overs would be severly out of sync w/ their lips (lips start moving after the voice over is over).

It's shitty to know that I got one of those "some xbox 360s", god that sucks.

Thanks for posting a solution though, hope it helps.

[quote name='Blackshear']I have been experiencing this problem myself, was wondering what the deal is.

After a few hours it started taking FOREVER every time I wanted to look at my map, change weapons, take potion, or basically anything that involved pulling up the item menu... also NPC voice overs would be severly out of sync w/ their lips (lips start moving after the voice over is over).

It's shitty to know that I got one of those "some xbox 360s", god that sucks.[/QUOTE]

This happened to me as soon as I started playing. Good thing I had read about the fix beforehand.

Forgive me for not having the process memorized because I don't have the controller in front of me at the moment, but doesn't the wireless controller not "connect" to the console until a few seconds after it's turned on? Is it possible to even do that fix?

The controller will connect only when you hold down the X(Guide) button.

Can someone post the article since I cannot see it here....(blocked from TeamXBOX)

Hmmm, where was LinkinPrime with this one ;)

[quote name='doubledown']The controller will connect only when you hold down the X(Guide) button.[/QUOTE]

Well that's what I mean...if you have to hold that down and it doesn't find the console almost instantaneously, is it possible to even do that fix?

I guess it says "while Oblivion is loading" not "as the console boots" so that probably gives sufficent time anyway.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Well that's what I mean...if you have to hold that down and it doesn't find the console almost instantaneously, is it possible to even do that fix?

I guess it says "while Oblivion is loading" not "as the console boots" so that probably gives sufficent time anyway.[/quote] Its not complicated, just do this.

Your 360 is off

1. Hold the guide button on your 360 to power on
2. Hold A until the bethesda screen appears

If you worried about the controller not being connected when you first start your 360, the load then dashboard while your playing, then through the dash start the game, that way your controller is already connected; but just so you know, you don't have to do it that way.

I'm glad to report that this fix solved my problem 100% (to my surprise), all menu loading and syncing problems where eliminated... thanks again for posting that OP.

BTW, here is the article:
Taken from: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10531/Oblivion-Fragmented-Cache-Data-Fix/

Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive to cache game data and in some cases the info stored on the hard drive can get fragmented, slowing down the game's performance. Bethesda has already found out a way to fix the issue. Here is the official word:

Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive extensively to cache (copy and reuse) game data. This is done to optimize all loading the game does. It has been found in rare cases on some Xbox 360s that the cached data can get overly fragmented. This exhibits itself by the game taking a long time to load anything from menus, dialogue, sounds, objects, levels, and more.

To solve this problem, reset your Xbox, and hold down the A button as the game is booting up. If any button is held while Oblivion is loading, it will clear its hard drive cache, and create a new one.

Once you see the “Bethesda Softworks” logo video, the game is already loaded, and the cache should have been cleared.

Note, this does not effect your game in any way other than loading. You will not lose any saved data.

That's too bad. You should be able to clear the cache in game, at the cost of a short loading screen.

Hopefully they release a patch, instead of just ignoring it.

you people are whining over nothing. Live Arcade/Marketplace content fragments the drive, everything will. All this does is rewrite the cache if it happened to be/get split up. As much content as we download/delete it's going to happen eventually no matter what.

man i wish they release a patch or a way to install the game in the hd so it loads up lot faster! pc version loads super fast compare to 360 version.

It's not like it needs to be cleared every time. Still, it's kind of annoying. I'd rather the 360 just have more RAM so I didn't get 'Now Loading' every 5 seconds when I'm in the countryside.

This isn't that big of a deal, considering Elder Scrolls III Morrowind; would kill some X-boxes......

Due to a Cache error.

Is there always a longer load time with Oblivion when first starting the game? MY load times seem a bit longer.....and I held down the A button when starting,

bread's done
Back