Oblivion GOTY or Fallout 3?

cupcakex1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I am currently trying to pick out one of these two games. Im in need of a RPG to play until I get more money to buy more games haha. But I was wondering which one would be better getting? I was going to get Oblivion for 30 at GS, but I just saw a listing on Craigslist for Fallout 3 which was going for 35 used. Which do you think would be a better choice? I've never played any one of these games, but they both look interesting. Just needed some CAG advice.

Thanks in advance !

Michael

In my opinion, I would say go with Oblivion. I'm not much of a swords and sorcery type person, but that game sucked me in like no other (barring COD4). The side quests are very fun, and I often found myself just wandering around the countryside looking for places to raid. Fallout 3, on the other hand, I found to be very boring and ugly. I understand it takes place in a post apocalyptic world, but that doesn't mean a little color can be displayed here and there. The missions didn't really grab my attention either, although I know a lot of people love it.

I'm not an RPG fan but I've tried both and was pulled more into Fallout 3 enough to pick a copy up. Could have just been my mood at the time, but that's just me.

I am much more into fantasy than I am into sci-fi, but it shocked me how much more I preferred Fallout 3 to Oblivion. I really did not like how the characters leveled in Oblivion as compared to Fallout 3.

Still don't know what to get.. but now I'm thinking about just picking up both at $30 a piece. I think the ad of CL is going to come through.. so I'll be able to get Fallout for $35 or $30. And Oblivion, I'll probably get the GOTY edition at GS tomorrow.. Unless you guys know a cheaper place to get it. Thanks for all of your guys opinions, I appreciate it. I will let you guys know what I end up with tomorrow. Thanks again !

Michael

I liked Oblivion a lot more than Fallout. I put about 70 hours into Oblivion, but could only put about 9 into Fallout before getting so bored that I Goozexed it.

I prefer a Sci Fi setting, too! I just couldn't get into the game, though. It was too drab, and didn't give me enough direction, even for an open world game.

I def prefer Fallout 3 over Oblivion. The storyline is amazing and the battles and overall feel of the game are superior in my eyes.

Oblivion has little to no character/charm. It has many, many more quests however. The only memorable set of quests for me would be the Brotherhood series. I, however, believe this game performs better on PS3 than FO3.

FO3 was widely reviewed to have poor graphical performance on PS3, worse than 360. Shoddy, shoddy job, I hear. I prefer FO3 more than Oblivion. It's the sort of game that rewards you for your exploration. You don't just find generic dungeon #433546aLz.

I would be happy to go into details about these two games if you wanted to share some of your RPG preferences.

ps3 fallout 3 $35 new amazon 3/5 deal of the day. hope you read this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Staind204']Both are excellent, Oblivion is better though..[/quote]

I agree. I poured countless hours into Oblivion before I even bothered to start on the main quest. I don't think I've spent as much time playing any other current-gen game. While I loved Fallout 3 (I played the 360 version) and would put it in the top 5 games of last year, easily, Oblivion was even better, if that tells you anything.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']
FO3 was widely reviewed to have poor graphical performance on PS3, worse than 360. Shoddy, shoddy job, I hear.
[/QUOTE]

I own FO3 on the PS3 and played the hell out of the 360 one at my buddies house helping him get his achievements; honestly, the big difference is the color palate and some slight pop up in the far distance. There was no major heartbreak in coming home from his house to mine to play FO3. The only thing I'm envious of is the DLC....the "poor graphical performance" is vastly overstated.

I decided to just picked up both. Getting the GOTY edition in couple of days. And I got someone to sell Fallout 3 for 30, just hope they don't flake out. I'll probably start up Fallout first since I'm probably going to get it before Oblivion. Then move onto Oblivion.

Thanks for the opinions and everythang.
Much appreciated.

If this thread is still active by the time I get to play the games, I'll post what I like better.

[quote name='UnderHero5']I liked Oblivion a lot more than Fallout. I put about 70 hours into Oblivion, but could only put about 9 into Fallout before getting so bored that I Goozexed it.

I prefer a Sci Fi setting, too! I just couldn't get into the game, though. It was too drab, and didn't give me enough direction, even for an open world game.[/quote]
This is me, I'm about 65 hours into Oblivion and obsessed about FO3 until I got it. I'm about 6 hours in and just can't get into that game. I may try picking it up again but there's just something about Oblivion that sucked me in.

As for the brotherhood series, take my advice: DO NOT KILL THE DUDE WHO VISITS YOU TO INVITE YOU TO THE BROTHERHOOD!!!! I did this to get his cloak thinking it would render me invisible ... dumbest decision I've ever made in a game, it essentially killed that entire storyline for me.

[quote name='cupcakex1']I decided to just picked up both. Getting the GOTY edition in couple of days. And I got someone to sell Fallout 3 for 30, just hope they don't flake out. I'll probably start up Fallout first since I'm probably going to get it before Oblivion. Then move onto Oblivion.

Thanks for the opinions and everythang.
Much appreciated.

If this thread is still active by the time I get to play the games, I'll post what I like better.[/quote]

If you end up not being able to get both, I'd say go with Fallout simply because if you don't like it, you can trade Fallout for Oblivion alot easier than you can make the trade the other way around.

I got both for the PC.

Though Oblivion is an older game, getting the GOTY edition for cheap is a really good deal, since you get a lot of game for not a lot of money. FO3 is a really good game though, but I didn't pick it up for the PS3 since Bethesda is not playing fair with all of the DLC, and playing favorites with Microsoft.

i saw this thread and must say im pulling more towards fallout 3 to seems to be addicting i recently started my adventures in rpg and i really like it a lot though i can see how people can get addicted haha sometimes i dont be wanting to nothing else but play but as we know we cant do that lol

well i may look into obilivion and see what it is all about
82%282%29.gif

I got Fallout 3 today for $30 used. I couldn't find the GOTY edition at any of the GS next to me. What a bummmer. But Fallout is good enough for now. I played maybe 1 hr, and I enjoyed it. I just hope I don't get too into it haha. How long does Fallout take to complete?

Practically the same games to me, but I preferred the density of the world in Oblivion to the vast wasteland of Fallout. Oblivion is beautiful; Fallout is ugly. So different strokes I guess. Both are great.

[quote name='cupcakex1']I am currently trying to pick out one of these two games. Im in need of a RPG to play until I get more money to buy more games haha. But I was wondering which one would be better getting? I was going to get Oblivion for 30 at GS, but I just saw a listing on Craigslist for Fallout 3 which was going for 35 used. Which do you think would be a better choice? I've never played any one of these games, but they both look interesting. Just needed some CAG advice.

Thanks in advance !

Michael
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

Fallout three all the way baby!!!

Saint

So I tried playing a little Fallout last night and STILL cannot get into it. Maybe it's because I'm such a low level (almost at 5) and because I'm running out of ammo like there's no tomorrow.

Oblivion seemed, to me at least, to be a bit more forgiving in terms of enemy levels and the ammo you get (my char in Oblivion has been built up to be an archer/thief, man I love that guy). I'll give it till I'm level 7 in Fallout, but I still think Oblivion is the better game.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']So I tried playing a little Fallout last night and STILL cannot get into it. Maybe it's because I'm such a low level (almost at 5) and because I'm running out of ammo like there's no tomorrow.

Oblivion seemed, to me at least, to be a bit more forgiving in terms of enemy levels and the ammo you get (my char in Oblivion has been built up to be an archer/thief, man I love that guy). I'll give it till I'm level 7 in Fallout, but I still think Oblivion is the better game.[/quote]

While I agree that Oblivion is the better game, I'd encourage you to give Fallout more of a shot. Those issues you mentioned disappear pretty quickly (in fact, by the time you get to the endgame, it's just the opposite).

[quote name='bvharris']While I agree that Oblivion is the better game, I'd encourage you to give Fallout more of a shot. Those issues you mentioned disappear pretty quickly (in fact, by the time you get to the endgame, it's just the opposite).[/quote]
Thanks harris, maybe I need to hunt down more raiders instead of Fire Ants and those crab guys.

Damn.. been playing Fallout all day.. Had a bowl of them fine herbals every 2-3 hrs of playing. I don't even think I'm doing the main quest or anything, but it's fun just exploring, looking for people to kill. This is one game that had me holding onto my controller for hours. Can't really do that with any other game. I'm mos def going to give Oblivion a try after I finish Fallout. Hopefully the GOTY edition will be $20 by then.

playing fallout 3 currently and its a pretty decent game, although i do feel like exploring the areas in the game sometimes feels a bit empty. You do have the occasional run ins with mutants and raiders and what not, but from the bleakness of the setting, it makes you feel very alone. This isn't to say it is a bad thing, i have a friend who feels like this fortifies the post apocalyptic setting. To each their own i suppose and i do still enjoy the game very much. Haven't played oblivion before, but i may pick it up after i'm done with Fallout.

[quote name='cupcakex1']I got Fallout 3 today for $30 used. I couldn't find the GOTY edition at any of the GS next to me. What a bummmer. But Fallout is good enough for now. I played maybe 1 hr, and I enjoyed it. I just hope I don't get too into it haha. How long does Fallout take to complete?[/quote]

Fallout adverages abouy 40 hours for most people I'm pretty sure, I think there is about 80 hrs worth of gametime if you hunt down and complete evrey side quest.

OK, I'm starting to get into Fallout a bit now that I'm actually PLAYING it (found I was only at level 4 with 4 missions complete). I can say that after abandoning being the nice guy and going after raiders, I'm getting more caps and ammo. My Karma is going down-hill, I'm a mean sumbitch ...

bread's done
Back