Oblivion: Shivering Isles Discussion

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']That's completely false. I've been playing Shivering Isles all day, and Live is still down as I'm typing this post.[/QUOTE]

That's only an issue if your 360 dies. MS has yet to fix that bug. The solution is sign on to live.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Is there a lot of sidequests in the expansion?[/quote]

Yeah, seems like a majority of them are very strange. Expansion is definitely one of the most unique thats for damn sure.

as for sidequests, they totally kick the normal game sidequests ass (other than the guild quests). The armor making ones are sweet as hell, and the random ones always have some crazy cool twist to them. I particularly like the one where you get someone to leave town and after doing so you get a pet skinned dog forever until it dies (grrr... i wanted to keep him!).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']. I particularly like the one where you get someone to leave town and after doing so you get a pet skinned dog forever until it dies (grrr... i wanted to keep him!).[/QUOTE]
I'm pissed because I had taken my dog outside, and I fought a monster. Some guards jumped in the fight too. Then they started killing my dog! My poor pooch is gone now.

Don't know if it's me but these post-maintainence download speeds suck. Took hours upon hours for shadowrun, and this is taking just as long.

Anyone know if oblivion gets angry if the download finishes while you are playing the game? Or does it just require a reboot of the game.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Is there any place in the isles to get my damaged attributes restored, or do I have to go back to a church to do that?[/quote]

I think you can do it in the little temple are you bring the flame to(if you are that far in the MQ.) Not sure if yo have to be past that part or not though, but it seems like a church.

I'm really tempted to get going on my new character now, since they decided to make certain choices prohibit you from getting certain items/equipment. Plus that last achievement is bugging me.

I'm borrowing the game from someone and figure I will just buy the goty edition instead of trying to rush through the expansions using his copy. My current saves will probably work with a goty edition right?

[quote name='Surferflames']I think you can do it in the little temple are you bring the flame to(if you are that far in the MQ.) Not sure if yo have to be past that part or not though, but it seems like a church.
[/quote]
I'm only to the part where you have to meet up with count and countess of the the two cities that are right next to each other so I'm not sure where that church is at. Is it in one of those cities?

[quote name='Kaijufan']I'm only to the part where you have to meet up with count and countess of the the two cities that are right next to each other so I'm not sure where that church is at. Is it in one of those cities?[/QUOTE]
It's inbetween them. There's a door in each one that connects to it.

Finally decided to drop the points for this yesterday. I must say, I'm having buyer's remorse. I beat the whole questline already. It took me about 7 hours. I did 3 or 4 sidequests along the way.

It was definitely fun, and had one of the coolest missions in the game, but it wasn't $30 fun. $10, maybe.

Oh, and anyone else have trouble with the ritual of mania mission? I've got the greenmote and I'm sneaking into this guy's kitchen, but there's no food or wine to poison. I tried it 2 or 3 times now to no avail.

[quote name='Trakan']Finally decided to drop the points for this yesterday. I must say, I'm having buyer's remorse. I beat the whole questline already. It took me about 7 hours. I did 3 or 4 sidequests along the way.

It was definitely fun, and had one of the coolest missions in the game, but it wasn't $30 fun. $10, maybe.

Oh, and anyone else have trouble with the ritual of mania mission? I've got the greenmote and I'm sneaking into this guy's kitchen, but there's no food or wine to poison. I tried it 2 or 3 times now to no avail.[/QUOTE]

Didn't try that mission, though I may go back since I want that achievement.

It's way small imo for $30... Have done a few sidequests, and they seem better.. but they should have added a new guild or two. I think they are the best part of the game.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']If $30 is justifiable for the exact same PC expansion ($30 seems about standard for most, Blizzard goes as far as to charge $40 for their Expansion packs), what is it about $30 on the 360 that people are so irritated about?[/QUOTE]
Charge $30 for the PC expansion, put it in a box, on the shelf, and you can get deals on it. Use coupons. Get it from the bargain bin in a month.

On the 360 you have to download it onto your harddrive and never actually have it physically.

Imagine that your 360 breaks (a not so uncommon occurance). This means you have to be signed in and on Xbox live to use your expansion.

What if you lose internet connection (just a couple days ago my bridge crapped out and now I have no XBL), you're screwed. What if you want other users on your 360 to be able to use it? That means they have to log in your account and leave a controller running.

$30 is too much for something you don't have physically, and that is bounded by Microsoft's riddiculous ToS.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Charge $30 for the PC expansion, put it in a box, on the shelf, and you can get deals on it. Use coupons. Get it from the bargain bin in a month.

On the 360 you have to download it onto your harddrive and never actually have it physically.

Imagine that your 360 breaks (a not so uncommon occurance). This means you have to be signed in and on Xbox live to use your expansion.

What if you lose internet connection (just a couple days ago my bridge crapped out and now I have no XBL), you're screwed. What if you want other users on your 360 to be able to use it? That means they have to log in your account and leave a controller running.

$30 is too much for something you don't have physically, and that is bounded by Microsoft's riddiculous ToS.[/QUOTE]

I thought that shivering isles is playable offline... i've heard of numerous people do it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It's inbetween them. There's a door in each one that connects to it.[/quote]
Thanks for the help.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I thought that shivering isles is playable offline... i've heard of numerous people do it.[/quote]
You can if you're still using your original Xbox 360. However, if you're not on your original console (and maybe hard drive also, I'm not sure) because it broke and Microsoft sent you a replacement the XBL content DRM requires you to be on Xbox Live to use the content, even if it's a single player only game like Oblivion.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Didn't try that mission, though I may go back since I want that achievement.

It's way small imo for $30... Have done a few sidequests, and they seem better.. but they should have added a new guild or two. I think they are the best part of the game.[/quote]

Got it. When I reloaded the game the food/wine was there, finally.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Thanks for the help.

You can if you're still using your original Xbox 360. However, if you're not on your original console (and maybe hard drive also, I'm not sure) because it broke and Microsoft sent you a replacement the XBL content DRM requires you to be on Xbox Live to use the content, even if it's a single player only game like Oblivion.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you can't get online, the 360 loses alot. but in that case it makes total sense.

Anyone else have serious game issues after downloading this ? I put off downloading the patch and everything was fine. Today I download the patch and the Shivering isles expansion and everything when haywire. I now get a loading screen after the initial Bethesda logo. The games anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes to load. And the games takes 30 - 40 seconds to load on a simple flip between pages in the investory/quest/map section. Conversations with NPCS now take 5 - 10 seconds to start up.

I have tried clearing the cache numerous times to no avail. Any ideas ?

bread's done
Back