Obsessive or Collector?

cgpwns

CAGiversary!
I noticed that a few people on Gamfaqs (yes I do post there sometimes but please don't flame) mentioned that they have two Gameboy Micros one for gaming and the other for the sole purpose of being in their collection. Is this somethign that people typically do, or just wierdos like the 40 Year Old Virgin (great movie btw)?
On the other hand I noticed some people payed a lot for one of those Famicom Micros but they use those without thinking about it being a collectors item.

Both. I have an original GB, a GB Color (Pokemon), 2 GBAs (Avalanche and Purple), 2 GBA SPs (1 seales NES, 1 opened Red), 2 Import DSs (1 Black/grey, 1 Pink). It depends on your level of commitment and funds. When I have disposable income, I dispose of it. However, Most of those were bought cheap or finds at pawn shops and such. Plus my wife is a hardcore gamer too, so we do end up buying things in duplicate, but I did it (rarely) before her. I think it also depends on if you trade things in or not. I haven't traded a title into a store in over 10 years, so alot of it is just collecting over time.

Collecting anything solely for personal use (not for resale/profit) makes no sense to me at all. It doesn't matter what it is - baseball cards, beanie babies, stamps, stickers, and especially video games. Is there some sort of enjoyment to be had by staring at this stuff that I am completely missing? It's all unnecessary clutter.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']When I have disposable income, I dispose of it.[/QUOTE]

You're a good little consumer, regularly contributing to the economy. My financial situation dictates that I must be a bit more cautious with my money, but if I had plenty of cash to throw around, I'd probably be right there with you. :D

[quote name='javeryh']Collecting anything solely for personal use (not for resale/profit) makes no sense to me at all. It doesn't matter what it is - baseball cards, beanie babies, stamps, stickers, and especially video games. Is there some sort of enjoyment to be had by staring at this stuff that I am completely missing? It's all unnecessary clutter.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with you if you're keeping things sealed up. If games and such are open, they're one of the few things that makes sense to me to collect. Baseball cards just sit there, at least if I've got every mario game on my GBA (which I do), I can play the Japanese Mario 2 if I want, or just admire it sitting on the shelf.

I find myself collecting good series of games (Matroid, Zelda, Mario, Sonic, etc.), most of which I enjoyed at least an installment of way back when. And of course, like any CAG'er, I just buy things cause they're cheap.

daroga

It's just obsessiveness javeryh. I know I collect things like Gundams and DS games because I have nothing else better to do and it fills a void in my life.

Wow ok that sounds really sad. Time to go pick up a hobby.

[quote name='javeryh']Collecting anything solely for personal use (not for resale/profit) makes no sense to me at all. It doesn't matter what it is - baseball cards, beanie babies, stamps, stickers, and especially video games. Is there some sort of enjoyment to be had by staring at this stuff that I am completely missing? It's all unnecessary clutter.[/QUOTE]

I collect comic books because I sometimes like to go back and reread stories.

I can walk into our media room and watch anything at anytime, listen to any cd at any time, or play any game at any time. That's what its about.

You're a good little consumer, regularly contributing to the economy.

Aren't we all? ;)

Well I have as of right now I have:

2 SP's one with the new backlight screen one without
2 DS's one grey one blue

I am thinking of trading in the SP without the backlight for a Mirco. I bought a second DS to play multiplayer games with my wife. Even though I have 2 of systems I use all of them. I did however buy a second gamecube and a second gameboy player that is sitting in my closet. Before the Revolution announcement I thought it was a great way to have a nice collection of NES to Current Gen games and if anything happened to my current Cube + Player I would have a backup. The thought of not being able to play my collection of games scares me I guess.

I do agree with Javeryh though as well. The older I get the less I feel the need to own DVDs, CDs, Video Games, and other things just for the sake of having them. As for being able to watch, play, or listen to anything at any time isn't really an issue because I don't even have enough time to use what I own now. It's not to say I don't have a good amount of games but I try to be truthful with myself when deciding if I will REALLY go back to it again.

I collect things I enjoy having. It's fun to play games, it's also 'fun' to have my boxed Lunar 2 complete that I'll never play again sitting on top of my desk. It's just cool to have; a good reminder of how great the game was, and if I ever want to pop it in, I have it.

I never buy anything I plan on never using though, I just keep stuff I've previously used.

I collect, because I have some sick desire to own all the games I use to think were fun but was at an inconvinent age to go out and buy, and own all US released RPGs produced in Japan. I don't know why. But that's just me. As far as the hardware goes, I'd definitely do that if it were in my budget. But I treat my stuff with, love, care and respect, so I always have it looking mint even after years of use, still with everything. I think I lean more on obsessive.

Compulsive Shopping Carries a Heavy Price
Pathological buying is linked to insecurity, and it's on the rise, experts say

By E.J. Mundell
HealthDay Reporter

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 28 (HealthDay News) -- For a rising number of Americans, shopping has become more than a means to an end, or a pleasurable pastime.

Instead, experts say, members of this growing group of "compulsive shoppers" feel low when they're not out shopping, and yearn for that special "high" that comes from browsing and buying.

Unfortunately, that high is usually short-lived: For most, the day's spending usually ends in renewed anxiety and sadness as they return home and realize their latest acquisition isn't making them any happier -- and may have put them further into debt.

It's a cycle that's very reminiscent of other harmful pathological addictions, such as gambling, said researcher Helga Dittmar, a senior lecturer in psychology at the University of Sussex in Brighton, U.K.

"Compulsive buying is often smiled about and belittled, either as 'something we all do at times' or the entertainment of the bored ultra-rich," she said. "The reality is that it has serious consequences, like other addictions. It can lead to severe financial debt, breakdown of relationships and families, and impairment at work and at home."

According to the last U.S. statistics available -- collected in a 1992 study -- compulsive shopping affected anywhere between 2 percent and 8 percent of Americans at that time. But experts believe prevalence of the disorder has risen since then.

Dittmar is the author of a new study investigating the psychological roots of compulsive buying, published in the September issue of the Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology.

In the study, Dittmar used data from the personal "shopping diaries" of 29 women (18 ordinary shoppers, 11 compulsive shoppers), plus the results of detailed questionnaires from 365 adults of varying age, which also included a fair number of compulsive shoppers.

She was able to pinpoint two "vulnerability factors" that appear to raise risks for compulsive buying.

"The first is a materialistic value system, the importance that a person attaches to material goods as a way of achieving major life goals, such as satisfaction and happiness," according to Dittmar. In essence, she said, "materialists are more prone to go for material goods as a solution to any problem they might encounter."

The second factor "concerns the self-concept, where a person who feels that they are far away from their 'ideal' self is more vulnerable to psychological problems," Dittmar said.

In this type of situation, materialistic individuals may turn to excessive spending as a form of what she called "self-repair."

"They'll buy those consumer goods that symbolize a part of their ideal self -- 'If I buy a glamorous dress, I might feel like a glamorous person,' " Dittmar explained.

In fact, the vast majority of compulsive shoppers -- about 90 percent -- are women, and Dittmar's study found clothing to be a major focus of their spending, probably because fashion is so tightly tied to self-image.

Women may also be more prone to the syndrome because shopping is traditionally viewed as a part of female, but not male, identity. And because some women are homemakers, Dittmar said that "they may have less opportunity for other "feel-good" strategies," like working out at the gym or meeting friends for drinks.

The compulsive buyers' personal shopping diaries revealed that most of the "good feelings" generated by their excessive spending is fleeting.

The journals showed that "their initial 'high,' straight after the purchase, was stronger than for ordinary buyers -- but also that the high was short-lived," the researcher said. In fact, compulsive shoppers were much more prone than ordinary spenders to experience "buyer's remorse" once they got their goods home.

"For some people, shopping is all about the thrill of the hunt; for some, it's the high of the purchase; and for some, it's the socialization with the salesperson -- the acknowledgement and reinforcement they get," said April Lane Benson, a New York City psychologist specializing in "overshopping," and the author of I Shop, Therefore I Am: Compulsive Buying and the Search for Self.

She agreed with Dittmar that materialism and poor self-image help drive the condition. While the latest statistics on the prevalence of compulsive shopping are still being tabulated by researchers, Benson believes the disorder is on the rise, especially among the young, and has spread to become a "global problem."

And she believes men's spending habits often allow them to go under the radar as compulsive buyers.

"They're 'image-spenders' more often than women, meaning that they pick up the tab when they have no business doing so, for example," Benson said. Men are also more prone to becoming pathological "collectors," addictively amassing one class of object, often going in debt to do so.

"Collecting is a way of buying compulsively, of course, but it becomes a more highbrow or refined caste," she said.

Avoiding or curbing these types of compulsive behaviors may involve stepping back and re-evaluating what's really important, Dittmar said.

For most people, the "ideal me" will always elude their grasp, she said. So the true pathway to better self-esteem may lie in "picking those aspects that one can realistically do something about, and that are worth doing something about," Dittmar said.

That can be tough, given today's society. Both experts agreed that unrelenting pressure from advertising and the media are pushing people to spend more recklessly than ever before, and that spending is even easier now via 24-hour shopping channels and the Internet.

The media "bombard us with ideals and role models that are likely to make us feel inadequate and in need of 'fixing,'" Dittmar said. While most people won't be unduly swayed by any one ad or TV show, "it is difficult to evade the general message that 'We are what we have,'" she said.

Benson agreed: "'Happiness is the next purchase away,' is what we are being told."

More information

For more on compulsive buying, head to the Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery.

SOURCES: Helga Dittmar, Ph.D., senior lecturer, psychology, University of Sussex, Brighton, U.K.; April Lane Benson, Ph.D., psychologist, private practice, New York City, and author, I Shop, Therefore I Am: Compulsive Buying and the Search for Self; September 2005 Journal of Clinical and Social Psychology

Last Updated: Sept. 28, 2005

not much of a collector, but I do hold onto a few games.

collecting sounds awesome in theory for me, but in practice it's just too much stuff.

[quote name='js1']According to the last U.S. statistics available -- collected in a 1992 study -- compulsive shopping affected anywhere between 2 percent and 8 percent of Americans at that time.[/QUOTE]
pot calling the kettle black... :p

seriously though... if it makes somebody happy to "collect" video games (or anything else for that matter), and it actually doesn't wind up hurting them financially or socially or any other kind of way, then what the hell difference does it make? like everything else, as long as you use some common sense it's fine. here, that means don't go buying some "UTLRA RARE HTF OMG!!!11!!" item when you're flat f-ing broke. simple enough.

So my highly respectable (personal) DC collection has been nothing but a farse from the begining?! Damn.
*snaps fingers*

I very rarely buy things just to have them. The last time I did that it was with the Psp and the time before was with the DS. I bought the Psp because it was shiny, had a gorgeous screen and impressive graphics.. plus, the thought of watching movies or anime in class was very appealing >.> Then I realized that I just wasn't using the thing and I looked at the release list and nothing looked that exciting. As such, I decided to get rid of it.

I find that my biggest weakness is new and/or impressive technology. I centered on the DS because touch screens had always fascinated me, even the ones that waiters and waitresses used in restaurants, or the ones in the self-checkout lane in the grocery store.

As such, the combination of a touch screen and the thought of a portable version of Mario 64 was too much, so I cut things a little close financially to make it mine. Fortunately, the current and upcoming software lineup for the DS makes it something that is more than worth owning, and I still use the touch screen whenever it is an option, which is probably why I like Lost in Blue so much or why I refuse to use the d-pad in Mario 64 DS.

My mom calls me "Mr. State-of-the-Art", and she's right. I always like to have the latest and greatest toys.. other examples:

1) I spent my graduation money on a dvd player in 1999, my parents (especially my dad, thought I was crazy).. 2 years ago, I bought a dvd-vcr for mom for christmas, and a few months ago Dad finally bought his first dvd player.

2) In February of 2002, I bought a digital camera (powershot s110, 2.11 mp). Again, the parents thought I was nuts.. since I've never taken a lot of pictures. Dad thought I was insane.. until he wanted to take pictures of his car for an ebay auction. A while after that, he bought one of his own, the 5.0 mp model

I suppose I've been the technology pioneer in my family.. but it is still somewhat of an addiction. I still use most of the stuff I bought, even if I never really did *need* it in the first place.

Also, I'm usually up to date in terms of knowing what new technology is on the horizon, even if I can't afford it and won't be purchasing it.

[quote name='cgpwns']I noticed that a few people on Gamfaqs (yes I do post there sometimes but please don't flame) mentioned that they have two Gameboy Micros one for gaming and the other for the sole purpose of being in their collection. Is this somethign that people typically do, or just wierdos like the 40 Year Old Virgin (great movie btw)?
On the other hand I noticed some people payed a lot for one of those Famicom Micros but they use those without thinking about it being a collectors item.[/QUOTE]

It came from GameFaqs. Its probably just a 12 year old lying trying to impress other 12 year olds about how he has 2 when he can't even afford 1.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of collecting stuff is holding on to it until it has a higher value and then reselling it.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']I'm pretty sure the whole point of collecting stuff is holding on to it until it has a higher value and then reselling it.[/QUOTE]
says who? my family, my friends and myself all collect a lot of crap with no intent to ever sell any of it.

[quote name='DocRamon']says who? my family, my friends and myself all collect a lot of crap with no intent to ever sell any of it.[/QUOTE]

packrat

n 1: a collector of miscellaneous useless objects 2: any of several bushy-tailed rodents of the genus Neotoma of western North America; hoards food and other objects

hehe bushy-tailed

There's nothing wrong with being a collector but if your a packrat you've got a problem.

kinda funny that you're calling me a bushy-tailed rodent after looking at your avatar...

anyway... my video games aren't useless. i use them. i play the games.

and you're not the only one who can use a dictionary on here, chief...

collect

n 1: To bring together in a group or mass; gather. 2: To accumulate as a hobby or for study. 3: To call for and obtain payment of: collect taxes. 4: To recover control of: collect one's emotions. 5:To call for (someone); pick up: collected the children and drove home

it's a hobby, that's it. not a mental problem, not an obsession, not something that's harming my life... just something that i find fun. people don't have to like what i do as a hobby, god knows i probably don't like what most of you do for hobbies, but i'm not calling you names about it.

so really... don't tell me that i have a problem, i don't appreciate being insulted on here, that's not why i visit. the real person with the problem is the one who finds personal pleasure or satisfaction in anonymously attacking people online.

I'm more of a collector than a gamer too. I bought Fire Emblem on clearance the other day just because the one I was playing was cart only. I have a couple other games I'm considering just not opening and playing from a friend's cart. I went back a few months ago and bought all the issues of Nintendo power 1988-current even though I'll never read them. I just like having things I guess, it's kind of a weird obsessive type behavior.

I have a NES SP, a Zelda SP, a graphite DS, a white DS, a black Gamecube, and an orange Gamecube. I guess I have to buy a Revolution now, even if I don't like the controller :(.

bread's done
Back