Ocarina of Time 3D Out of Print?

Just a heads up I was able to place an order on Amazon for OOT 3DS fulfilled by Amazon (new of course) earlier today. I went to search for this thread to post the link, and of course had a hard time finding it and by the time I did it was out of stock again. It might be worth keeping an eye on though.... looks like my order is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday March 3rd.

Just a heads up I was able to place an order on Amazon for OOT 3DS fulfilled by Amazon (new of course) earlier today. I went to search for this thread to post the link, and of course had a hard time finding it and by the time I did it was out of stock again. It might be worth keeping an eye on though.... looks like my order is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday March 3rd.
Damn! I'll keep my eye on the amazon page. I've been watching my local gamestops for used copies but I haven't found anything new since my last two attempts. I just want a copy to play! I'm hitting myself for not picking it up when It was $29.99 on Amazon a while back. Quite frustrating. How long was it available to order?

Let me be clear here, earlier in this thread, I stated the following:

That was then replied to with this:

Now, the point I was making is that the original shipments are based on retailer orders, NOT that retailers could call up Nintendo tomorrow and have them start printing any old game they want. Nintendo bases their print runs on orders from retailers, they'd be ridiculous not to do so. The difference between Nintendo and say Activision with Call of Duty is the degree to which they print above their retailers' orders. Nintendo can not, in their current state overprint games and have them sitting in warehouses. They're playing it tighter with their productions in order to reduce costs and overhead. Going back to the Call of Duty reference, it's the excess produced inventory that leads to those pricedrops and sales down the road, Nintendo doesn't have that excess inventory and thus no reason to drop the price.

If you'd like to see what happens when a company starts vastly overproducing their games there's a great documentary on Xbox Marketplace regarding the E.T. cartridges buried out in the desert, it's called "Atari: Game Over."
I do understand what you are saying about keeping supplies limited to cut down on overhead. I will say that this isn't a game that will be sitting on shelves collecting dust. You seem to think no one is interested in this game for some reason. The point of all of this is however, is that this is about a very specific game. Ocarina of Time. Quite possibly one of the absolute best games that has been made. This isn't a game Nintendo should be needing to sweat the thought of, "if we make 3,000 more copies of this game will it sell or not? (It will btw) We'd sure hate to have it be marked down $15 less YET still make a profit." The production of 3ds cartridges, cases and manuals is so minimal compared to the profit made on each of them, they are foolish to not press another batch of these.

Ocarina of Time and Zelda is a machine that prints money for Nintendo. Plain and simple.

This isn't some horrible Atari game that came out in the 80's that no one liked that ended up buried in the desert. This is a game, franchise and experience that millions of people love. I own this game on N64, I also own it on Game Cube. I am now willing to purchase this game a 3rd time on the 3DS. Do you see the difference here? I am not the only one with passion and desire to have this game.

Damn! I'll keep my eye on the amazon page. I've been watching my local gamestops for used copies but I haven't found anything new since my last two attempts. I just want a copy to play! I'm hitting myself for not picking it up when It was $29.99 on Amazon a while back. Quite frustrating. How long was it available to order?
It was only available for a few minutes. I had it saved in my amazon cart (saved for later option) and I'm in the habit of refreshing that frequently throughout the day to see if anything goes on sale or comes back in stock. Anyways I refreshed the cart saw that it was available again for $39.99 made the purchase and it was just delivered today (I chose no rush shipping for the $1 AZ Credit).

Craigslist has been where I've gotten almost all of my systems in the last 6 years. If you're smart about which ads you respond to you can get some great deals, like my 32gb Wii U for $130. Dude was moving and had a fire sale.

Craigslist has been where I've gotten almost all of my systems in the last 6 years. If you're smart about which ads you respond to you can get some great deals, like my 32gb Wii U for $130. Dude was moving and had a fire sale.
I must be using craigslist wrong. Every time I go there looking for OoT 3D or Melee it's just people selling them for 60-70 like usual. It's been weeks, damn it. :(

Also PSA - the Canadian edition of OoT3D works with region lock, so if you're able to find that slightly cheaper and don't mind the huge Fr box on the cover then go to town. Everything I've seen has still been in the 50-60 USD range, but if that's enough for you to pull the trigger then check it out.

How many Legend of Zelda games should Nintendo keep available at retail? At some point they need to move on to the next version and stop manufacturing the previous ones.  This same argument could be made about any game.  I.E. I really want to play Earthbound, if Nintendoi would just keep it in stock and discount it, I would definitely buy it.  

If they keep reprinting 4 year old games we'll never get new games.  It was released in 2011 just like Pokemon Black and White...I don't see those in store either

How many Legend of Zelda games should Nintendo keep available at retail? At some point they need to move on to the next version and stop manufacturing the previous ones. This same argument could be made about any game. I.E. I really want to play Earthbound, if Nintendoi would just keep it in stock and discount it, I would definitely buy it.

If they keep reprinting 4 year old games we'll never get new games. It was released in 2011 just like Pokemon Black and White...I don't see those in store either
I found this obscure seller's website from Hong Kong who had the US version of the game brand new for $49.99 with free international shipping. I was doubtful, but I just received the game today. I still think they should print more copies of this game though. It's not just one of the Zelda games, for many it is THE Zelda game and is said to be one of the greatest games of all time. Pokemon Black and White don't quite hold such a distinction and really can't be compared to Ocarina of Time. The most likely explanation for the lack of availability is simply that it's available on the eShop and Nintendo wants people to buy it directly through them as a no material cost digital copy of the game at MSRP.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end trying to find this game. I've been checking GameStop and Amazon at least 20x per day religiously for the past week and called any and all stores that carry electronics. If anyone has a copy I'd gladly buy it from you or trade you my factory sealed kid Icarus Uprising.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end trying to find this game. I've been checking GameStop and Amazon at least 20x per day religiously for the past week and called any and all stores that carry electronics. If anyone has a copy I'd gladly buy it from you or trade you my factory sealed kid Icarus Uprising.
I was going to PM you where I got my copy but it looks like someone snagged up the other 2 copies that were left.

Secondly, everyone wants to throw this on Nintendo but it's also the retailers making their orders from Nintendo. If retailers were ordering more from Nintendo, they'd be making more. Retailers have a timidness with Nintendo now because of how their product hasn't been moving up until these last few months. The retailers aren't ordering as much so Nintendo is playing it closer to the vest in their productions

That was then replied to with this:

Now, the point I was making is that the original shipments are based on retailer orders, NOT that retailers could call up Nintendo tomorrow and have them start printing any old game they want. Nintendo bases their print runs on orders from retailers, they'd be ridiculous not to do so. The difference between Nintendo and say Activision with Call of Duty is the degree to which they print above their retailers' orders. Nintendo can not, in their current state overprint games and have them sitting in warehouses. They're playing it tighter with their productions in order to reduce costs and overhead. Going back to the Call of Duty reference, it's the excess produced inventory that leads to those pricedrops and sales down the road, Nintendo doesn't have that excess inventory and thus no reason to drop the price.

If you'd like to see what happens when a company starts vastly overproducing their games there's a great documentary on Xbox Marketplace regarding the E.T. cartridges buried out in the desert, it's called "Atari: Game Over."
Well, yeah of course I read through the thread, hence why I replied to said posts. If you'll notice the bolded text, you said "were ordering", as in the present tense. If you meant HAD ORDERED that would be a different matter entirely, but the way you wrote it, yes, it definitely sounds like you implied they could be ordering more. Of course any business has to forecast market demand and wouldn't be in business very long if they couldn't (basic college business class concepts here) but they also must foresee future market opportunities and keep up with increases in demand, like discovering that one of your most popular series is sold out on what's arguably the most popular shopping site on Earth.

Also, comparing Nintendo to the CoD franchise is ridiculous, as is any series. Everyone knows the number that series pushes (sadly). As ShirtSize said again, there's no way that people wouldn't buy this game with the release of it's successor. Heck, even bundle the two together, match made in Heaven.

And frankly, to suggest a gamer doesn't know the debunked E.T. legend is insulting lol. Zelda is not E.T. by any stretch of the imagination.

I've solved this problem btw, congrats to those who are able to find these now rare carts and I wish those still looking the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will not ship to the U.S. :(
Dang, I assumed they would because I order off Amazon US to Canada all the time. My bad.

This game still seems relatively available in Canada. I see it on shelves every now and then, and never for higher than MSRP, with used copies usually falling somewhere between 30 and 35. I wonder if it's worth picking up a second copy to hang on to now for future trades though....

I just noticed gamestop has further increased the used price of this game from $49.99 ($10.00 above NEW MSRP ) to $54.99 ($15 above NEW MSRP). Oh gamestop...

Well, yeah of course I read through the thread, hence why I replied to said posts. If you'll notice the bolded text, you said "were ordering", as in the present tense. If you meant HAD ORDERED that would be a different matter entirely, but the way you wrote it, yes, it definitely sounds like you implied they could be ordering more. Of course any business has to forecast market demand and wouldn't be in business very long if they couldn't (basic college business class concepts here) but they also must foresee future market opportunities and keep up with increases in demand, like discovering that one of your most popular series is sold out on what's arguably the most popular shopping site on Earth.

Also, comparing Nintendo to the CoD franchise is ridiculous, as is any series. Everyone knows the number that series pushes (sadly). As ShirtSize said again, there's no way that people wouldn't buy this game with the release of it's successor. Heck, even bundle the two together, match made in Heaven.

And frankly, to suggest a gamer doesn't know the debunked E.T. legend is insulting lol. Zelda is not E.T. by any stretch of the imagination.

I've solved this problem btw, congrats to those who are able to find these now rare carts and I wish those still looking the best.
No, I specifically did not use past tense because I was contemplating their future ordering of games on Nintendo platforms. They're not selling right now so retailers aren't going to order as much when a new game ships. Retailers are ordering less and thus Nintendo is printing less.

Which brings me back to Call of Duty. By your own statement it sells a ton so therefore they print a ton (and retailers order a ton as well). I fail to see how that isn't an apt comparison. I'm saying they can print way above their initial demands because they'll eventually sell. You're agreeing with my point by pointing out how much more Call of Duty sells.

I'm also not saying Zelda is ET. However, once again, your failing to see my point. Atari printed a ridiculous number of carts, way above any possible demand of that game, to the point that all they could do with it is destroy it. Nintendo wants to keep people happy, guess they should just print 10 million copies of every single game they make? No, that would be ridiculous because they haven't sold anywhere near that. But hey, when 3 people want a copy of Project STEAM 5 years from now, at least they'll have the inventory.

It's just silly to think a 4 year old game should stay in print because there's still a trickling demand for it. How many other games that came out around the same time as Ocarina 3D are still on shelves and in print?

It's just silly to think a 4 year old game should stay in print because there's still a trickling demand for it. How many other games that came out around the same time as Ocarina 3D are still on shelves and in print?
Quite a few, actually. When I look at the top 10 best rated games of 2011 the only one that isn't in print is Skyward Sword, another Zelda Nintendo game.

I'm saying they can print way above their initial demands because they'll eventually sell.

Nintendo wants to keep people happy, guess they should just print 10 million copies of every single game they make?

Quite a few, actually. When I look at the top 10 best rated games of 2011 the only one that isn't in print is Skyward Sword, another Zelda Nintendo game.
It was poorly worded then honestly, and unclear.

Now that's an exaggeration, but a fraction of what it originally sold? Totally warranted. I think you're highly underestimating how critically acclaimed this game was received for the high expectations it had as a remake of one of an award winning best game of all time. To say only a few people would buy this especially in the last year is highly misinformed. Again I can't stress enough, apparently to no avail, that it's successor was just released (and with the build up to it additionally) it's definitely garnered interest. To compare the 3ds releases that pale in comparison to the legacy of this game is negligible nonsense, this game influences consumer's decision to get this system. Forget how old the release is, ask freakin' Shipwreck he'd agree that people still love this game!

Ugh, but you must think this is your average Professor Layton game, quickly forgotten. We can agree to disagree due to different backgrounds and skills. Either way it's disappointing that gamers can't find this at a fair price anymore.

You can buy it digitally so Nintendo is not stopping you from playing the game. You just want the collectable part (which I understand), but your arguments are 100% self-interested and do not reflect poorly on Nintendo's business practices. Amiibos are another story altogether, but I have to side 100% with Nintendo on this one for an old Zelda game.

You can buy it digitally so Nintendo is not stopping you from playing the game. You just want the collectable part (which I understand), but your arguments are 100% self-interested and do not reflect poorly on Nintendo's business practices. Amiibos are another story altogether, but I have to side 100% with Nintendo on this one for an old Zelda game.
We've already been over that, see the previous posts. And it's not about collecting, the digital version has no resale value and you can't, say, loan it to a friend if you want to. So once you buy it, in monetary terms it's pretty much worthless lol.

It was poorly worded then honestly, and unclear.

Now that's an exaggeration, but a fraction of what it originally sold? Totally warranted. I think you're highly underestimating how critically acclaimed this game was received for the high expectations it had as a remake of one of an award winning best game of all time. To say only a few people would buy this especially in the last year is highly misinformed. Again I can't stress enough, apparently to no avail, that it's successor was just released (and with the build up to it additionally) it's definitely garnered interest. To compare the 3ds releases that pale in comparison to the legacy of this game is negligible nonsense, this game influences consumer's decision to get this system. Forget how old the release is, ask freakin' Shipwreck he'd agree that people still love this game!

Ugh, but you must think this is your average Professor Layton game, quickly forgotten. We can agree to disagree due to different backgrounds and skills. Either way it's disappointing that gamers can't find this at a fair price anymore.
I actually do agree that this isn't just your average Professor Layton game. People had 4 years to get this game. It already went out of print once, and was given another run about a year ago. If you didn't take that as a sign that it wouldn't be on shelves forever, that's your own fault. See, this website tends to skew toward cheapasses, what with the name and all, who wait forever for a game to drop in price. That's fine, but you have to understand that in the vast majority of Nintendo releases, that just doesn't happen. They print enough to sell at full price based on retailers' orders and when sales have dried up at full price they just discontinue it. This isn't anything new with Nintendo. If you haven't figured this out by now then that's your own fault.

"Different backgrounds and skills"? I have no idea what that means, skill at waiting to buy games?

Also, just because a semi-successor is coming out doesn't mean sufficient people will be chomping at the bit to play the previous version. Look at Link Between Worlds. No one was going on and on about not being able to get Link to the Past anymore.

Look, Zelda being my favorite franchise, I didn't absolutely have to play Link to the Past before I played Link Between Worlds. In fact, it's been a couple years since I've played it. Partially because, despite that dumbass Hyrule Historia book, they're all independent games and stories. There's not really any direct sequels that require knowledge of previous games to understand subsequent games.

Furthermore, there's plenty of instances of other publishers not reprinting older games in the series when actual, direct sequels come out. For instance, the Orange Box didn't get a reprint when Portal 2 came out. Different publishers yes, but there could have been some demand there, under your theory. Saints Row is another example. Hell I remember having a hell of a time tracking down Dead Space 1 when 2 came out. We're talking about direct sequels here that actually have a story reason to play the previous version and yet publishers aren't reprinting those games.

Available at a decent price doesn't automatically equate to still in print. Many of those games will likely have existing stock, likely in platinum hits, but they aren't raising in price because there's already so many copies out there, because well they printed a ridiculous amount in the first place. Way more than their orders, unlike Nintendo who, going back to a previous part of the discussion, prints much closer to their retailer order numbers.
We've already been over that, see the previous posts. And it's not about collecting, the digital version has no resale value and you can't, say, loan it to a friend if you want to. So once you buy it, in monetary terms it's pretty much worthless lol.
See, here's where you're losing me. You are swearing up and down about how much this game means to you in spite of the fact that A) you had 4 years to buy it and failed to do so and B) are already contemplating situations in which you would like to resell it. If this game is so important to you, then why would you ever care about selling it? And borrowing it to a friend? Come on, honestly when's the last time you actually did that?

See, here's where you're losing me. You are swearing up and down about how much this game means to you in spite of the fact that A) you had 4 years to buy it and failed to do so and B) are already contemplating situations in which you would like to resell it. If this game is so important to you, then why would you ever care about selling it? And borrowing it to a friend? Come on, honestly when's the last time you actually did that?
Couple of weeks ago I lent a friend my gold cart of Majora's Mask for 64 because he hadn't played it yet. And that cart is worth some decent money still lol. You never lend people games?! Yeah he could have emulated it but sometimes you just want the actual 64 controller amiright? xD I've borrowed and lent DS games, so by different backgrounds and skills I mean we have different opinions, friends, preferences, play styles, schooling and infinite other variables. So maybe you don't happen to be letting people borrow your old stuff but plenty of people do. Hell, even Valve sees the value by letting others play your digital library! Come on now lol, that doesn't fly with Nintendo's digital sales.

You sir get the freakin' devil's advocate award for the year. You seem to be arguing for a Japanese company's accounting department I guess? I'm tired of the 'you had x amount of time to <insert action>'. Whatever, sure, we've been over that. In the past and all that. Point is, popular game, not available when it could be, Nintendo's horrible DRM system is extremely inconvenient.

So in other words you're agreeing with me that your desire for a physical copy of the game is 100% because of your self-interest (and has no benefit to Nintendo... so they have no reason or incentive to do it).

So in other words you're agreeing with me that your desire for a physical copy of the game is 100% because of your self-interest (and has no benefit to Nintendo... so they have no reason or incentive to do it).
I'm confused, they have no incentive to sell games? I thought that's what they do. Then again Nintendo recently branded themselves as an 'entertainment company' and not just a 'video game' company, so they'll probably want customers to be satisfied and enjoy their physical products. But wait, they'll probably just demand to be handed cash like they're entitled to it out of self-interest. Wait, what?

It's an old rant at this point so don't get me wrong, I have no self-interest in getting Nintendo to cater to me, that's just absolutely ridiculous. Throwing loaded statements at me like that xD Needless to say I'm currently enjoying the game so there's no argument to be had.

I'm confused, they have no incentive to sell games? I thought that's what they do. Then again Nintendo recently branded themselves as an 'entertainment company' and not just a 'video game' company, so they'll probably want customers to be satisfied and enjoy their physical products. But wait, they'll probably just demand to be handed cash like they're entitled to it out of self-interest. Wait, what?

It's an old rant at this point so don't get me wrong, I have no self-interest in getting Nintendo to cater to me, that's just absolutely ridiculous. Throwing loaded statements at me like that xD Needless to say I'm currently enjoying the game so there's no argument to be had.
See, you're just not getting the reason why thisis self serving. You're saying that because you want to play Ocarina 3D that means Nintendo should reprint it. You're throwing all these reasons such as it being a beloved game or Majora's Mask release but at the end of the day, you're just justifying why you shouldn't have to pay more for it. Quite clearly, Nintendo does not agree with you that's its profitable to reprint it. They have analysts to examine the profitability but according to you they have no idea what they're doing because you suddenly decided you want a game 4 years later and you can't find it.

Hell, I want a brand new and sealed copy of Zelda for NES. Guess that means there's enough demand for Nintendo to go back and start reprinting it. They're just leaving money on the table not doing it.

bread's done
Back