October NPD US Hardware/Software Sales

[quote name='Monsta Mack']360 doing pretty good for software sales, could do better for hardware sales.
The Wii is such a beast that even if the 360 was $99 it still wouldn't stand against the Wii. Scary.[/quote]

that's not true, the sales were nearly twice that of the ps3 and the price drop had a lot to do with it.

given the 360 is $99, c'mon, I'd own 6 of them!

You know I honestly don't get the sales wankery. Who cares what the PS3 sells, or the Wii sells. We know that Quality != Sales.

Sales is only there for fanboys to continue their stupid wankery, and continual self approval.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']You know I honestly don't get the sales wankery. Who cares what the PS3 sells, or the Wii sells. We know that Quality != Sales.

Sales is only there for fanboys to continue their stupid wankery, and continual self approval.[/quote]

Sales matter for the life or death of a system. If you don't really care about that, then obviously you won't really care about sales.

Plus, some people just like statistics :p.

[quote name='SpazX']Sales matter for the life or death of a system. If you don't really care about that, then obviously you won't really care about sales.

Plus, some people just like statistics :p.[/quote]

The PS3 is not going anywhere.
Stats are BS, any good Stats prof will teach you that they can be manipulated to say whatever you want.

Top 20 Stolen from Gamasutra.
08-october-top-20.gif

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Stats are BS, any good Stats prof will teach you that they can be manipulated to say whatever you want.[/quote]

Good stats aren't bullshit, and obviously anything can be manipulated. Unless the stats aren't true, all the manipulation is PR.

Sales matter what platforms 3rd parties spend more money on and focus more time on for sure. It does also communicate a general disappointment in the product, especially with the PS3 which is doing relatively poorly compared to it's predecessor's huge success, even while carrying on that brand name.

[quote name='jer7583']Wow.. It really is bad for Sony when Even Thomas96 admits they're in 3rd to stay and screwed up this generation..[/QUOTE]

lol yeah, I like Sony's product and I think they had a good product in the PS3, but Sony need to manage the console better. High Price, poor release (many titles held back over a year), 2006, and 2007 versions of Madden were poor. The one strength that Sony will have is that their console has longevity, and that the PS3 can stay on the market for a while - (until it does churn a profit). Also, Sony has bad ports of games (initially) it's suffering like the PSP did when it first launched. Also, Sony got rid of BC in their console... bad bad move. I know that looking solely at video game sales, Sony is taking a loss on the PS3, however I KNOW they've made profit on blu ray products, thats a market that was created and sustained by the PS3, a market that would have been divided should the PS3 not have had a Blu Ray player. If I was in charge of Sony... I'd make a smaller more sleek and cheaper PS3, and release it at a cheaper price and release it with 2 free games and a movie. basically, I'd do what Nintendo did for the DS lite... the DSL released at 129.99, 20 dollars cheaper than the DS (phat) and came w/ a free Brain Age. It was a deal that even I couldn't refuse.. Also, Sony needs to sell cheap PSN games in the stores... people like to see cheap software on the shelves.

[quote name='Demontooth']Someone needs to tell the video game buying public that we are in a shitty recession.[/QUOTE]

When the economy is worst video game sales go up. It's cheaper to stay at home and sit on your ass and play games, then go to Chilli's or someplace and spend $30 on you and your bitch and chow down. Hell, IMHO it's better to buy games then dining out. Dining out is too expensive.

Movie Theaters are becoming insanely expensive to. Thank god for redbox.

[quote name='Demontooth']Someone needs to tell the video game buying public that we are in a shitty recession.[/quote]

Shhhh. No they don't. The fact the market is down but games are up is a GOOD thing. Somebody needs to tell sony to lower their price though.

[quote name='Thomas96']lol yeah, I like Sony's product and I think they had a good product in the PS3, but Sony need to manage the console better. High Price, poor release (many titles held back over a year), 2006, and 2007 versions of Madden were poor. The one strength that Sony will have is that their console has longevity, and that the PS3 can stay on the market for a while - (until it does churn a profit). Also, Sony has bad ports of games (initially) it's suffering like the PSP did when it first launched. Also, Sony got rid of BC in their console... bad bad move. I know that looking solely at video game sales, Sony is taking a loss on the PS3, however I KNOW they've made profit on blu ray products, thats a market that was created and sustained by the PS3, a market that would have been divided should the PS3 not have had a Blu Ray player. If I was in charge of Sony... I'd make a smaller more sleek and cheaper PS3, and release it at a cheaper price and release it with 2 free games and a movie. basically, I'd do what Nintendo did for the DS lite... the DSL released at 129.99, 20 dollars cheaper than the DS (phat) and came w/ a free Brain Age. It was a deal that even I couldn't refuse.. Also, Sony needs to sell cheap PSN games in the stores... people like to see cheap software on the shelves.[/quote]

and how exactly do you propose they release a 'smaller more sleek and cheaper' ps3???

They would have to redesign it and a process like that would cost them more money than they stand to rake in. Only successful consoles will have a redesign or many redesigns over a lifecycle (ie. psp, ps2) vs. consoles who don't do very well keep one form over a lifecycle (ie. gamecube, xbox)

bread's done
Back