Oddly Morbidly Funny

[quote name='Graystone']Its one of those things that you want to sort of laugh at but you cant cause its wrong. So do I laugh or not :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Don't. It's not really that funny at all.

Not really ironic. A deaf girl passing away because she got hit by a train that she couldn't hear? That's not what irony is.

irony would be getting hit by the train on her way to buy hearing aids. getting hit by the train is just plain tragic.

Sucks that it happened. But the real question would be...why was she on the tracks in the first place and if anyone was around, how come they didn't get her out of there.

I have to admit I giggled a bit when I read the headline, even though it is tragic. You would think that see would have at least felt the vibrations from the train coming.

I don't think I said it was ironic, but this is the group of people that kept the dead baby jokes alive for months, I appreciate the darwinism of the situation.

[quote name='Psykodelik']Sucks that it happened. But the real question would be...why was she on the tracks in the first place and if anyone was around, how come they didn't get her out of there.[/quote]

To all who thought it's funny, that's a bit unfair to trot out the Darwin awards so quickly since the CNN article wasn't concise. Here's a clearer description:

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=157312

McAvoy was only walking a few feet from the track when a plow on the front of a Union Pacific train hit her, the Austin Police Department said. "The plow extends approximately 16 inches on both sides of the tracks," Det. David Fugitt said. Austin police say McAvoy text messaged her mother just minutes before the accident happened.The 18-year-old said she was going to take a short cut down the railroad tracks to meet her mom at work.

So she wasn't suicidal and wasn't walking on the tracks but rather beside it and was hit by a plow attached to the train. That said, I thought it was funny as well when I read the CNN article but I changed my tune when I read the article with more details. The way CNN wrote it up, it made it seem like she was crazy and stupid. Remember it's all about the spin.

Either way she was too close, and she almost definitely would have felt the vibrations from the track. She should have looked up from her texting and gotten the hell out of the way.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']I don't think I said it was ironic, but this is the group of people that kept the dead baby jokes alive for months, I appreciate the darwinism of the situation.[/QUOTE]
i didn't say you said it was ironic...
[quote name='darkmere']i dunno...that seems wrong man...not ironic enough to laugh at[/QUOTE]
[quote name='darkmere']irony would be getting hit by the train on her way to buy hearing aids. getting hit by the train is just plain tragic.[/QUOTE]
dumb, but not darwin dumb, so i gotta agree with jay on that point. and like i said, not ironic enough to be funny, imo. it's just tragic because it was a bad choice...she thought she avoided the tracks enough and paid with her life. i don't see how she had it coming or deserved it.

"Mirus said he is working on a national campaign to educate deaf people about the dangers of walking on railroad tracks" bahahaha

I didn't think it was funny. Definitely not ironic. Unless you get a kick out of hearing (pardon the pun) about people getting hit by trains, I don't see what's so funny. The fact that she's deaf seems almost irrelevant.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']"Mirus said he is working on a national campaign to educate deaf people about the dangers of walking on railroad tracks" bahahaha[/QUOTE]:rofl:

bread's done
Back