Oddly slow PC game - UPDATE: FIXED!

Chuplayer

CAGiversary!
Fixed! See my post further down about it.

Has anybody ever had this happen to them before? I just got Daytona USA Deluxe for the PC, and the game runs slow. It runs smooth as butter, but it's certainly not running at full speed. When the game says 2 minutes 30 seconds, my stopwatch says much more time has passed than that.

I do have the Direct 3D patch installed. My hardware is way more than is necessary to run the game. It's 2GHz Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, a video card that can run this game on six computers, etc. I'm thinking that maybe the integrated audio might be causing the slowdown, but I've tried a few other games and a Genesis emulator, and they all seem to run at the proper speed.

Does anybody know what's going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
A small update, I installed the game on my older computer, and it seems like it ran a bit faster on that one. It still ran too slow, though.

Is Daytona USA Deluxe just a bad port in general? Or is it optimized for older OSes and older hardware?

What version on Windows are you using? Since it is an older game you will probably want Windows to run it in compatibility mode for Windows 95.

I'm on Windows XP, and I've tried all compatibility modes and the other compatibility options in that menu. It still runs oddly slow.

FIXED!!! YEAH BABY!!! DAYTOOOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

You simply have to have Windows Media Player running in the background. Nothing has to be playing. Just have it running. I guess it helps sync something in the game that doesn't want to initialize properly by itself on XP. Now it runs full speed like the Saturn Daytona USA CCE does.

Oh, happy day! This is perhaps the most definitive home Daytona ever now that it runs properly.

bread's done
Back