Odin Sphere on PS3

Strife025

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Sometime in the near future I plan on playing through Odin Sphere depending on which rpg's I decide to finish, (finishing xenosaga 3 now and have VP2, FF12, SMT: Nocturne, P3: FES soon, and DQ7 on psx to finish still also) and I noticed one of the biggest gripes is slowdown on some bosses.

I normally play all my games on PS2 since I have it hooked up to my 2nd monitor in my room, and my PS3 is in the living room on the 42" Panasonic Plasma for HDMI (my 22" widescreens in my room don't have an HDMI output).

Anyways, does the PS3 processing power and ram reduce the slowdown at all, or does it not really matter if I play on PS2 or PS3.

I eventually want to get a monitor with hdmi but I'd rather save on the expenses right now until I absolutely need to bring my ps3 into my room.

I've played it on both my 60 GB PS3 and PS2, and the slowdown was about the same on both. At least, I couldn't tell the difference, and I'm like a hawk when it comes to slowdown. It did load faster on the PS3, but that's about it.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I've played it on both my 60 GB PS3 and PS2, and the slowdown was about the same on both. At least, I couldn't tell the difference, and I'm like a hawk when it comes to slowdown. It did load faster on the PS3, but that's about it.[/quote]

./confirmed

=>

It definitely loads faster on PS3 but that's about it. Otherwise the slowdown still is pretty killer. I'm on the last boss of the last book and the slowdown makes it nigh impossible to play. You have to dodge multiple projectiles and jump around slashing and whatnot and OMG it's brutal when its like 10 FPS =((((

I hope they do a new Odin Sphere for PS3 but that's a crazy pipe dream. I know about the new Wii game, hopefully it won't have any slowdown =>

T

[quote name='Hostile']Odin Sphere also might or might not have problems playing on an 80 GB PS3.[/quote]

I made sure to get a 60 GB PS3 :)
I mainly play RPG's and didn't want to have trouble playing them on the 80 gig.

I guess I'll just play it on PS2 then and save money on a monitor until I actually buy some good PS3 games. I thought the slowdown was based on the slower PS2 system but it sounds like their code or whatever causes the slowdown? Thanks.

Ya the slowdown is inherent to the game, also, the PS3 isn't doing the processing for it since it is still using the onboard "emotion engine". It would be interesting to see if the 80 GB PS3 would make the lagged out parts run better since it is doing emulation of the emotion engine, and thus could use the cell processor's multiple cores... hrm interesting, however I doubt it since it's still emulating the emotion engine. Chances are it would run identical =/... if anyone knows please let me know!

T

I've been thinking of getting this game. I read good reviews and such and then I hear about terrible slow downs. It seems that it might hurt the game play. I mean if I can snag it for $10 or so yea I'd grab it but its most likely $20 and I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. Can you ever beat the game with the slowdowns on the boss like that?

EDIT "Do games look about the same graphically on the 80 GB vs. 60/20 GB?" - Why would they look different? Its just space.

In my experience there was only one boss where the slowdown was constant and posed a problem. For the rest of the game, not so much.

I just started playing this on my ps3, and I was getting slow downs while playing the boss at the end of chapter 1. Nothing to bad, but I could see it getting annoying later in the game when the difficulty picks up.

[quote name='AvidWriter']

EDIT "Do games look about the same graphically on the 80 GB vs. 60/20 GB?" - Why would they look different? Its just space.[/quote]

Hardware vs. software emulation.

I love this game. It is repetitive but it's still way fun to play. You play the same enemies on the same stages, but with different characters so it keeps the game fresh.

Really great game, highly recommended.

I know this isn't a thread about the game itself, but I have to say I really dislike it.

I love the graphics, but the gameplay is really boring.

Maybe I should hold onto it for a few years though, so I'll sell it at a high price later.

bread's done
Back