Offical word on how GameStop Pre-orders will be handled

NamPaehc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161580.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

GameStop not getting enough PS3s to fill preorders

Retailer's launch allocations not expected to cover original batch of reservations; employees "asked" to wait until second shipment to buy systems.

Last month, retailer GameStop began accepting "limited" preorders for the PlayStation 3, asking customers to put down $100 in advance for the system, with a modest expectation of eight units per store in most cases. Now it appears the largest gaming specialty chain in North America won't be receiving even that many systems.

A GameStop representative told GameSpot today that the company received launch allocation numbers from Sony, and that it won't be able to fill its existing PS3 preorders.

"We are beginning to notify our customers that our initial shipment of PS3 systems will not be what we expected," the representative said. "As this is not an ideal situation, we are asking employees to wait to purchase systems until the second shipment. We are anticipating having systems to cover reservations before Christmas."

For launch day, preorders will be filled in the order they were received, and those who had a preorder but are denied a system on day one will receive something for their troubles. GameStop will give those unfortunate customers (as well as unfortunate employees) a free used game or DVD valued at $19.99 or less when they eventually wind up purchasing the system.

Those who reserved a system won't need to wait long to find out if they can expect a system on launch day. Starting tomorrow, customers who preordered a PS3 will be contacted personally by phone and updated on the status of their reservation, the rep said.

And while it might be a non-issue considering the clamor for consumers to get their hands on the coveted systems, GameStop is also asking anyone with a confirmed preorder to pick their systems up by Saturday evening.

WHY DO PEOPLE STILL GO TO EB/GS?

Serious question. Really. Try to answer.

They're the worst, most detrimental corporate presence in our hobby. Not just for consumers. Don't support them, guys. If you do anything other than flip in a GS/EB, you're just funding their existance, which is something the world must be purged of.

and for the record... if you are an employee of the store you pre-ordered at, you automatically become 2nd shipment.

fuckING ASSHOLES

i'm pretty pissed

So if I was the first to pre order in a certain store I should get the system or do I have to be there early to get it still?

holy crap, imagine all the people that were selling their EB/Gamestop preorders on Ebay. This is really bad news for them. As for me, I was expecting this to happen and have made arrangements to camp for one at Circuit City.

[quote name='MadFlava'] As for me, I was expecting this to happen and have made arrangements to camp for one at Circuit City.[/quote]So you're either posting this from outside Circuit City or you're not getting one, then? ;)

My store took preorders for 14 systems, which I'm sure was 16 systems minus two for employees. Makes me wonder what that number will end up looking like, and if I'll have to run to line-up at Target.

[quote name='DomLando']So if I was the first to pre order in a certain store I should get the system or do I have to be there early to get it still?[/quote]

They should call you tomorrow and tell you what is up. Going by what is posted, they are giving them away in order of how they were pre-ordered. HOPEFULLY all of the stores are getting at least one so you should be okay. :)

Yo, I'm so glad I waited to eBay my system.

Don't blame EB/GS. Blame Sony. I was told launch numbers in the States went from 400K to 250K.

Sony should just delay the whole PS3 launch altogether until Spring 2007. Releasing a system during the holiday season is just to guarentee sell out, and build hype for the system to sell after holiday season.

But then again from Sony's point of view, that is excatly what they want.

Question:

My GS had 6 for reserve (2 went to employees I'm assuming) and I was 2nd in line (could only get a 20 gb, but 1st person got a 60 gb). Does this mean that most likely both employees reserved a 60 gb and that if they get 2 60 gb's in I could pick one up?

Hmmm.. the manager at the gamestop I preordered from said he was pretty sure he would get 15. I'm number 9.. There was also supposed to be a midnight release, which he said was the only gamestop in the nation to have a midnight release for the ps3.

Tomorrow is going to be a shitty day.

Wow, this is pretty insane. I really hope I get mine, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't.

The way I really think this stuff should be handled is through a lottery. Tell everyone to show up by 7am, hand out numbers, whoevers number gets called gets a system. This camping out all night for days ahead of time outside the store is absolutely batshit rediculous.

It's EB/GS's fault they took preorders before knowing how many systems they'd get. Of course they'd love to blame Sony, but EB/GS shouldn't have taken preorders before knowing the amount of systems.

[quote name='Koggit']It's EB/GS's fault they took preorders before knowing how many systems they'd get. Of course they'd love to blame Sony, but EB/GS shouldn't have taken preorders before knowing the amount of systems.[/quote] It's not gamestop/ebgames fault you took the chance of preordering an extremely limited console. It's all on the buyer. They even warn you that you are not guaranteed a system on launch day.

I love all this hate towards gamestop/ebgames when it's not even their fault.

[quote name='chaarlieee']It's not gamestop/ebgames fault you took the chance of preordering an extremely limited console. It's all on the buyer. They even warn you that you are not guaranteed a system on launch day.

I love all this hate towards gamestop/ebgames when it's not even their fault.[/quote]

I dunno about that, when I pre-orderd my system, I was about #12 I believe, and I ever spoke to the district manager of the store who happened to be there at the time, and he assured me that I was definitely going to get my system.

[quote name='purduealum91']WTF?! Are all of the pre-orders cancelled?[/QUOTE]

We're glad you learned to type. Now, you can compliment that with learning to read, and you'll have all the tools to succeed in life.

[quote name='mykevermin']We're glad you learned to type. Now, you can compliment that with learning to read, and you'll have all the tools to succeed in life.[/quote]

Except that it should be "complement"--with an "e." ;)

The news that Gamestop/Eb won't even be doing online orders for the PS3 eludes that they must have gotten a crappy allocation of PS3 systems. I figured that they were conservative on the B&M preorders so they could offer online bundles (which they make a ton of money off of). With even cancelling the online orders that they still can fill their B&M preorders. I curious what exactly their real allotment numbers are.

^Well, my store was originally 8 preorders plus 2 employee preorders. Now its only 3 preorders. So if the employees didn't get any 70% of the initial shipment at my store was cut. Luckily I made the cut. :D

[quote name='spmahn']I dunno about that, when I pre-orderd my system, I was about #12 I believe, and I ever spoke to the district manager of the store who happened to be there at the time, and he assured me that I was definitely going to get my system.[/QUOTE]
lol, that's a joke. Why would you even believe him when the supply is so limited? If you really did believe him, you must be very gullible.

They made it very clear at my store when I pre-ordered that we were not guaranteed a system at launch. They took 16 pre-orders and I talked to them last night and they said they are getting about half of them. I'm # 3 on the list so she said I'm getting mine!

So what should we expect if we still haven't received a call?

P.S. I see they aren't allowing employees to purchase them, but will this be upheld?

I just called.. they said they were getting EIGHT 60gb ps3's.

I'm number 9 in line..

So I'm guaranteed one next month for sure. Unless Sony or stop fuck up bad enough that I don't get one.

I called eb games and the manager told me,that they're expecting all 8 of their pre-orders so far and it shouldn't be any problems and especially for me,since I'm #1

I went down to the one I preordered at and talked with the guy there. They have not made the "official" calls yet which will be later today apparently. They preordered 16, but now they are only getting 8. Not sure the 60gig/20gig alotment on that but I don't care because im #1 :)

BTW, the guy there was a douchebag, no big surprise there.....

[quote name='ziria']I went down to the one I preordered at and talked with the guy there. They have not made the "official" calls yet which will be later today apparently. They preordered 16, but now they are only getting 8. Not sure the 60gig/20gig alotment on that but I don't care because im #1 :)

BTW, the guy there was a douchebag, no big surprise there.....[/quote]Yea, the one I called the guy was being an asshole also. I think employees are upset,because they know they can't get theirs first.

[quote name='chaarlieee']I just called.. they said they were getting EIGHT 60gb ps3's.

I'm number 9 in line..

So I'm guaranteed one next month for sure. Unless Sony or stop fuck up bad enough that I don't get one.[/quote]

Why are you blaming Sony? Gamestop took the pre-orders BEFORE they recieved confirmation on how many systems they were getting from Sony. The blame for this is soley on gamestop for taking more pre-orders then they were getting systems. The smart managers made sure people placing pre-orders knew it wasn't a guarantee.

[quote name='Brian9824']Why are you blaming Sony? Gamestop took the pre-orders BEFORE they recieved confirmation on how many systems they were getting from Sony. The blame for this is soley on gamestop for taking more pre-orders then they were getting systems. The smart managers made sure people placing pre-orders knew it wasn't a guarantee.[/quote] Why blame Sony? Because they wanted to ship 2 million world wide by the end of the year and are failing to meet that expectation. And because twice in the past month they have announced shortages.

Gamestop warned customers beforehand that a preorder is not a guarantee. It's not their fault if they don't get their entire stock, that's Sony's fault. If you're mad at gamestop because they accepted preorders, that's just stupid. If you don't want to preorder from them, then don't do it. They give you a warning, so you're not supposed to act dumb if you don't get one and tell them "YOU MOTHER fuckERS WHERE THE HELL IS MY PS3@!#>#!@!"

[quote name='chaarlieee']Because customers are warned beforehand that a preorder is not a guarantee?[/quote]

This line of reasoning doesn't really work though, especially at a place like Gamestop where employees work based on the amount of pre-sales, magazine subscriptions, etc. they sell. I would say in most (95%) instances, Gamestop wouldn't make mention of the fact that a Pre-Order is not a guarantee, out of fear of losing the sale.

[quote name='spmahn'] would say in most (95%) instances, Gamestop wouldn't make mention of the fact that a Pre-Order is not a guarantee, out of fear of losing the sale.[/quote]If you can't see how this is totally different, then don't talk.

[quote name='chaarlieee']If you can't see how this is totally different, then don't talk.[/quote]

What the fuck is your problem man?

lol, who said I had a problem? :lol:

I have until 4pm to relax, and I'm playing videogames right now. I don't think I have a problem? Maybe I'm missing something.. :whistle2:s

[quote name='chaarlieee']lol, who said I had a problem? :lol:

I have until 4pm to relax, and I'm playing videogames right now. I don't think I have a problem? Maybe I'm missing something.. :whistle2:s[/quote]

Your response to my post was pretty fuckin rude. Who the hell are you to tell me that I shouldn't talk, just because you don't agree with what I have to say?

[quote name='spmahn']Your response to my post was pretty fuckin rude. Who the hell are you to tell me that I shouldn't talk, just because you don't agree with what I have to say?[/QUOTE]
lol, I've never seen this before. Are you about to cry or something? Calm down.

bread's done
Back