OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

It rained (almost biblically) from 9 am to 3 pm today, but I did manage to find a PS2 for $5. They said it didn't work, but it turns out it just needed a good cleaning.

[quote name='dragonpancakes']It rained (almost biblically) from 9 am to 3 pm today, but I did manage to find a PS2 for $5. They said it didn't work, but it turns out it just needed a good cleaning.[/quote]

good stuff bud!

[quote name='dragonpancakes']It rained (almost biblically) from 9 am to 3 pm today, but I did manage to find a PS2 for $5. They said it didn't work, but it turns out it just needed a good cleaning.[/quote]

Fat or thin?

Either way - awesome find!

[quote name='STATIC3D']

The only game item I found today was at the last sale I went to. It was a Sega Genesis Power Base Converter in the box (looks new like it was never unwrapped/used) for $1. Gonna use it for trade in credit probably too.

quote]

please tell me you wont trade that in for less then $10 ...its a collectors item...i would gladly pay you $20 for it...if you get more then $10 at whatever shop you take it then cool...

there was not many sales in my area this week and found nothing the weather look bad and lead to the cancellation even though it did not rain and also it was bad because many of the people of south florida are on vaction

im very sad beause the last 2 weeks were great

I found a couple of the original Coleco tabletop games. I got Frogger (near mint condition) and Galaxian (average condition) for $10. I was surprised to find anything, since I have to rely on the bus system and walking to get from place to place.

Well, in ispiration of all the people's successful finds here, I went looking through my newspapers site, where people list things they want to sell.

Somebody is selling a PS2 with "tons of games". They are asking 50. I sent them an e-mail and they also live in the same town as me (convenient!), so if I need it should be easy to pick up!

Just doing some thinking and brainstorming on what we can reply to those "ebay" statements with and I think I got a good one!

So after the person says I can get some bs amount on ebay, you reply, "O really, because in my experience ebay is such a hassle. You have to clean the system, test the system and all the games, pay an insertion, final value fee and a paypal fee, and you have to wrap it up and ship it at the post office. All that work, or you could take my very fair offer and get the cash right now with no hassle.

What do you guys think? I can't wait to try this one out next week.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Just doing some thinking and brainstorming on what we can reply to those "ebay" statements with and I think I got a good one!

So after the person says I can get some bs amount on ebay, you reply, "O really, because in my experience ebay is such a hassle. You have to clean the system, test the system and all the games, pay an insertion, final value fee and a paypal fee, and you have to wrap it up and ship it at the post office. All that work, or you could take my very fair offer and get the cash right now with no hassle.

What do you guys think? I can't wait to try this one out next week.[/quote]

Too much work, the short and simple statement "Why don't you sell it on eBay then?" conveys that same exact message much more briefly.

When people give me the ebay line now I tend to ignore it, I'll still try and CIF them or haggle. I think most sellers use the ebay line because they think most buyers will pay comparable prices. Honestly I do not think a lot of people want to be bothered with the ebay hassle and will accept reasonable offers, which is fine if you are looking to pay a reasonable price. Me personally I tend to look for the clueless people whom I can manipulate or are desperate for cash.

Today, I did pretty well.

First of all, I woke up late accidentally and finally got out of the door around 10.

I probably went to about 30 sales and only 2 were ones that I found anything.

1st Sale:

Woman was selling mint conditions with box and everything of TMNT and the TMNT arcade game for the NES - $15 each. I offered $10 for both games. She called her friend's husband, because these were his games and he "didn't want to part with his childhood memories for $10" (exact words she said).

I found only one SNES cart (wheel of fortune deluxe in excellent condition) there and paid $1.

2nd Sale

This was in a new housing development and the people hosting the sale said that barely anyone had come all day. I didn't see any video games so I asked and the guy brought out a box of Dreamcast and N64 games. I passed on the sports games. There was also a Dreamcast with no hookups but I passed. I got Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Mission Impossible for $3 for the N64. I got Test Drive 6 and Crazy Taxi for the Dreamcast for $2.

So 6 games for $6, not that bad in my opinion.

The only things I picked up this weekend were from goodwill. I picked up:

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire soundtrack $3
Phelios (genesis) $3

The ebay argument is stupid. Garage sales are for getting rid of old stuff sitting around taking up space. Anyone who tries to make money from them won't make money. If they can get more on ebay, then sell it on ebay. I'm not paying prices comparable to ebay or gamestop. How do I even know if the stuff works.

I noticed this thread on the front page, so I'm a little late to the party. Earlier this year I found a PS1 console (just the core system) for $2 at a church rummage sale. At a garage sale I bought 13 NES games and two controllers for like $8.50. Those are my only deals so far this year.

I'm so jealous of a lot of the deals posted hear. I hope I get lucky soon.

I only managed to hit one sale today, since I had to work until 2:30. I did manage to snag two oringal NES controllers, an NES Advantage controller, an all-grey Zapper and (yes, I know, but I actually didn't have this one) the ever dreaded Super Mario/Duckhunt cart. All for $7. Everything is in pristine condition with no sticky buttons.

Still not as stellar as my other two grabs from last week (The Genesis with 5 games for $10 and the complete in box DK edition N64 with a few games for $15) I checked ebay for shits and giggles and found that Super Smash Brothers and DK64 are easily fetching $20 a pop, so definitely making that bundle a steal.

[quote name='sp00ge']I only managed to hit one sale today, since I had to work until 2:30. I did manage to snag two oringal NES controllers, an NES Advantage controller, an all-grey Zapper and (yes, I know, but I actually didn't have this one) the ever dreaded Super Mario/Duckhunt cart. All for $7. Everything is in pristine condition with no sticky buttons.

Still not as stellar as my other two grabs from last week (The Genesis with 5 games for $10 and the complete in box DK edition N64 with a few games for $15) I checked ebay for shits and giggles and found that Super Smash Brothers and DK64 are easily fetching $20 a pop, so definitely making that bundle a steal.[/QUOTE]

Hit like 20-25 sales yesterday with not much luck. Got a few sealed board games me and the fiancee have been wanting for $3, and a spirograph. But my game scores sucked. I got Pokemon Pinball and Yellow for $3 so a decent deal but nothing special. A working GB Color with only one scratch for $4 and a NES with 10 of its best games like Zelda, Mario 1-3, Contra, Blades of Steel and Double dragon for $18. I tried to talk to the lady into $14 but she kept insisting she knew ebay prices and is willing to let it go cheap but not that cheap. Might have compltly passed on it but I thought the NES was selling for $30 on ebay. Didnt know despite being newer the top loader wasnt as sought after. Still a decent deal.

Edit: Looking over things maybe it aint so bad. Not an amazing deal but several of the games are selling for a few bucks.

Ok, so I'm behind with the pictures, so here goes.

1 N64 no power or av.
1 4MB Nintendo RAM
1 Grey Nintendo Controller
1 Atomic Purple Nintendo Controller
Paid: $7.99 at Goodwill (about 1 1/2 weeks ago)

1 Sega Saturn (2nd model) all hook ups (but RF only came with it)
1 2nd generation Sega Controller
1 Doom disc only
Paid: $14.99 at Goodwill (about 1 1/2 weeks ago)

1 SNES all hook-ups (av and power) in the box!
1 SNES Nintendo controller
1 Super Mario All-Stars cart only
Paid: $5 at The Salvation Army (last week)

1 Genesis Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition (complete)
1 Dreamcast Soul Calibur 2 (complete)
1 Jet Set Radio Future Music Sampler (complete)
Paid: $3 at yardsale (yesterday)

Everything works. The sale I went to yesterday had a number of dreamcast games, almost everything I had already but I offered him $5 for a stack of about 8-9 games. He said he was expecting to get about $20 for the stack. So I knew we were kinda on opposite ends. He had a Genesis (1st gen) but I didn't bother to ask how much (I also passed on Sword of Vermillion, Sonic and Knuckles, etc is Sword of Vermillion any good?)

On the way home I stopped at the same Goodwill I got the above N64 at, I immediately saw a Genesis (2nd gen) in the box. It had a price tag of $9.99 on it. I went to look around some more and debated whether or not to pay $10 for it. But someone made the decision for me, someone scooped it up and bought it before I could even decide. $10 in the box worth it? I probably would have bought it. Oh well.

[quote name='Zon27']

Ok, so I'm behind with the pictures, so here goes.

1 N64 no power or av.
1 4MB Nintendo RAM
1 Grey Nintendo Controller
1 Atomic Purple Nintendo Controller
Paid: $7.99 at Goodwill (about 1 1/2 weeks ago)

1 Sega Saturn (2nd model) all hook ups (but RF only came with it)
1 2nd generation Sega Controller
1 Doom disc only
Paid: $14.99 at Goodwill (about 1 1/2 weeks ago)

1 SNES all hook-ups (av and power) in the box!
1 SNES Nintendo controller
1 Super Mario All-Stars cart only
Paid: $5 at The Salvation Army (last week)

1 Genesis Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition (complete)
1 Dreamcast Soul Calibur 2 (complete)
1 Jet Set Radio Future Music Sampler (complete)
Paid: $3 at yardsale (yesterday)

Everything works. The sale I went to yesterday had a number of dreamcast games, almost everything I had already but I offered him $5 for a stack of about 8-9 games. He said he was expecting to get about $20 for the stack. So I knew we were kinda on opposite ends. He had a Genesis (1st gen) but I didn't bother to ask how much (I also passed on Sword of Vermillion, Sonic and Knuckles, etc is Sword of Vermillion any good?)

On the way home I stopped at the same Goodwill I got the above N64 at, I immediately saw a Genesis (2nd gen) in the box. It had a price tag of $9.99 on it. I went to look around some more and debated whether or not to pay $10 for it. But someone made the decision for me, someone scooped it up and bought it before I could even decide. $10 in the box worth it? I probably would have bought it. Oh well.[/quote]

I hate you and your Super NES. :D

[quote name='Jedi1979']i loved Sword of Vermillion...dont know why but it is just one of those games i remember playing all the time[/quote]

That was my first Genesis game. Man, that game is excellent. I was about 10 or so when I first played it. That girl that turns into a monster scared the crap out of me. And the king that was a dragon was equally bad ass.

Ah, good memories, Sword of Vermillion, I looked it over when I was young, thinking it was a bad Phantasy Star rip off...only played it on ROM though..never been able to find a cheap complete copy

Anyways, you people must live in freak states. I have never seen, one, video game item at a yard sale: EVER. I've been to quite a few with my mom in the past year and have never found one video game item, and when I have found them, roughly the price you'd pay used or cheap on eBay. Like a PSOne for $20, or a Gameboy Advance for $30, or cheap sports games for a few dollars each.

Yet you guys are finding arcade cabinets, rare consoles, SUPER rare games, and common/easy to find stuff at clearance prices. I just can't understand the logic behind selling a complete Genesis with 14 games for $5. I know everyone around here would accept death before selling something they bought for $100 at one point for $5.

I'm honestly starting to think you guys just get stuff from your personal collections or used game store/pawn shop finds and post them on plain backgrounds and make up fake prices. It's a fun thread but most of these deals I've never run into.

I've run into my fair share of pawn shop deals, like a complete FFX for a dollar, some disc only FF VII's for 50 cents, but these insane yard sale deals just boggle my mind. I have a Saturn, I could never let go of such sweet memories for $10.

I come to this yardsale thread every Saturday and Sunday and I don't know why. I just get pissed off. I seriously hate every single one of you.

:)

Nothing much this week:

A Gameboy Color with "The Little Mermaid" for $3,
Kolibri for the 32X for $2.
Pro Wrestling, Contra, Marble Madness and Mike Tyson's Punch out for $8.

[quote name='evilmax17']

Congratulations to all new comers! I hope your adventures were fun, and I hope you join us for the rest of the season!

41 sales today, pretty nice weather too. There weren't many advertised OR unadvertised sales, but we figured everyone would still be in vacation mode.

At one sale run by an older woman, there was this incredibly bratty 10-year old who had just convinced his mom to buy this framed picture of a wooden chair and flowers (not sure why he wanted it, it was random as all hell). We heard the mom say, "Now if I buy you this, you'll be good for the rest of the day, right?" Interesting exchange. So Moiety then asks the woman running the sale if she has videogames (we specifically mention Nintendo, Sega, and Atari just to jog their memories and give them a better idea of what we're looking for, i.e. not current stuff). She says she has a ton of stuff in the attic, but can't remember exactly what, and they are too packed in to retrieve right away. She offered to take our number and call us (which is never fruitful for us anyway).

The brat interrupts our exchange, asking, "Do you have the old Nintendo carts, about this big (motions with his hands the size of the NES carts), from 1985?" The sale-runner shrugs kind of confusedly, and tries to turn her attention back to us. The kid proceeds to throw a tantrum and whine at his mom: "Mooom, if we give her our number, she'll call us! Can we give her our number? I want those gamessssssssssssss!" Meanwhile Moiety writes up our information and hands it to the woman, and the mother gives in and goes to her car for a pen and paper. You'd think she'd take this opportunity to teach her kid about the universal principle of "first dibs", but she folded like an accordian. Never thought we'd be undercut by a little kid!

Not many other stories. We're finding that towards the end of the day, we're getting a lot more "Oh...we sold them earlier today" than we used to. We keep wondering if it's from random people randomly buying video games, or if some flea market vendor is making the rounds or something. Here's hoping for the former.[/quote]
Whats even worse is that the little brat is probably on here somewhere, or from one of the sites that leech from here. ;)

[quote name='sarausagi']
I'm honestly starting to think you guys just get stuff from your personal collections or used game store/pawn shop finds and post them on plain backgrounds and make up fake prices. It's a fun thread but most of these deals I've never run into.
[/quote]
Yeah, I WISH we already had all this stuff in our collection! ;)

We put a lot of hard work into organizing sales every week, and we spend a good 5-6 hours (ranging 50-100 miles per week) every Saturday traveling from sale to sale in order to find these great deals. We've been fortunate to find a lot of great stuff and really add to our collection, and many others who post here have discovered that they too can expand their collections using this venue.

I guess it just all depends on what area of the country you live in. Most of the time, we don't actually see video games out at a sale, but rather get a lot of our scores by asking if they have video games. It's amazing how many people don't even think to put them out for sale!

I guess the best advice is to just keep getting out there. The more sales you go to, the better chances you have. Ask at every sale if they have video games. Keep your eye on Craigslist. Travel to different surrounding towns and find ones that may be more fruitful. The deals are out there, don't give up! :)

[quote name='sarausagi']Ah, good memories, Sword of Vermillion, I looked it over when I was young, thinking it was a bad Phantasy Star rip off...only played it on ROM though..never been able to find a cheap complete copy

Anyways, you people must live in freak states. I have never seen, one, video game item at a yard sale: EVER. I've been to quite a few with my mom in the past year and have never found one video game item, and when I have found them, roughly the price you'd pay used or cheap on eBay. Like a PSOne for $20, or a Gameboy Advance for $30, or cheap sports games for a few dollars each.

Yet you guys are finding arcade cabinets, rare consoles, SUPER rare games, and common/easy to find stuff at clearance prices. I just can't understand the logic behind selling a complete Genesis with 14 games for $5. I know everyone around here would accept death before selling something they bought for $100 at one point for $5.

I've run into my fair share of pawn shop deals, like a complete FFX for a dollar, some disc only FF VII's for 50 cents, but these insane yard sale deals just boggle my mind. I have a Saturn, I could never let go of such sweet memories for $10.[/QUOTE]
Some people just want to get rid of this stuff. Also, I think a few people on this thread have mastered some kind of Jedi haggling mind trick. ;)

[quote name='sarausagi']Ah, good memories, Sword of Vermillion, I looked it over when I was young, thinking it was a bad Phantasy Star rip off...only played it on ROM though..never been able to find a cheap complete copy

I've run into my fair share of pawn shop deals, like a complete FFX for a dollar, some disc only FF VII's for 50 cents, but these insane yard sale deals just boggle my mind. I have a Saturn, I could never let go of such sweet memories for $10.[/QUOTE]

i think that every time i read this!!!!! it would be one thing if the deals were spread around a lot of people, but it's the same two or three people that find Xbox 360's with every game, a digital camera, 7 metric tons of lego's, and the entire NES import library for $13.92!!!!!

i've never found any deals like those at yard sales, and i go almost every week!!!!

[quote name='mm2barry']i think that every time i read this!!!!! it would be one thing if the deals were spread around a lot of people, but it's the same two or three people that find Xbox 360's with every game, a digital camera, 7 metric tons of lego's, and the entire NES import library for $13.92!!!!!

i've never found any deals like those at yard sales, and i go almost every week!!!![/QUOTE]

Well, I know why.

I went to 60 or so sales yesterday and found 1 N64 game.
Evilmax goes out with his wife and finds like 6 systems, 40 games, 2 tons of legos, and a lamp.

How does he do it? He offers up his wife as 'payment'. Simple as that. IHere is how it would go...

Evilmax: 'Any videogame stuff? My wife will be payment",
Me: 'Hell yeah! I got a Genesis with 12 game and a N64 with 2 games"
Evilmax: "How much you want for it all?"
Me: "Hmm....20 minutes with you're girl"
Evilmax: (Pulling a CIF) "6 minutes AND the thong she is wearing"
Me "DEAL!!!!!!"

stopped at a flea market and picked up 3 PS1 games all complete with some light scratching on discs. They all loaded fine.

Marvel Superheroes
Brave Fencer Musashi w/ FFVIII Demo disc
Bushido Blade 2

The guy wanted $2 each but I pointed out the scratches and that one had a cracked case. I offered up $1 for each but he came back with only if i take all the games. (he had some sports titles and a couple other games I had no interest in). I decided to call his bluff cause I knew he wanted to make the sale . So I told him that they are only worth a $1 a piece to me. I thanked him and told him to have a good day. As I got about 10 feet away he hollered over to me to take which ever ones I wanted for $1 each.

For the record all my finds are legit. As Moiety said location is a major factor. as well as preperation, a good rap and bargaining skills. If you can not find any gaming related deals either

A. your in a bad loction
or
B. you do not prepare properly
or
C. you have a poor rap
or
D. you have poor bargaining skills
or
E. a combination of or all of the above

If you guys that assume these finds are fraudulent and are pissing and moaning about not scoring are not utilizing all the tips that have been posted on how to prepare for, hunt down and make the deal, then it's your own fault you have to play the hater.

And to Gizmogc your post about Evilmax and Moiety was just down right wrong even if it was just joking around.

Mmmm.

I've done the garage thing for years now (thanks in no small part to my mom, who is the undisputed master), and throughout all of that, I've found maybe 4-5 good deals. As others have said, sometimes it is purely luck of the draw. What do I find? Broken PSOnes missing cords for $20, or a copy of Dr. Muto for Xbox marked $15.

Now I don't see why people are being hostile in this thread. To those of you that find stuff, that's awesome, but don't pick on the people whining who can't find anything. And people whining, don't pick on the lucky fuckers who seem to find pieces of heaven every weekend.

I'm one of the whiners, and I'm jealous. But at the same time I know it's a lot of work and preparation on the part of the people finding stuff. I'm not downplaying their finds - I full well congratulate them.

But at the same time I'm still jealous. Jeez. How hard is it to understand that?

Currently I don't have the time or money to look around, and even when I do, I hit up 10-20 sales and never find anything. It's hugely debilitating.

People need to chill out. Shit.

where is the sense of humor...

on a side note i had a garage sale yesterday and had some of my Video Game items...nothing great just stuff i could never get rid of (ebay, trading in or whatever)...

i had about 20 BioFreaks sealed and some other random Crap PS games and 3 copies each of 2 GBC games still new E.T. digital Companion and International Track and Field and a DC World Series 2k1 and NBA showtime...i put them in a box with $2 marked on it for each game...and i sold everything in that box except for 4 BioFreaks games...i was SHOCKED...mostly to diff people too...i thought i couldnt give these games away but i was pleasently surprised...take into account these were games i basicalluy got for free when a Odd Lot went out of business near me

also sold a NES and a SNES with some crap games for $15...old blinky and old yella (the SNES)...i had brought this same lot with a lot more games which i kept a few weeks ago for $12...the guy came up to me without even looking at anything else offering for it...you can easily pick out the people who either collect or wanna resell or just want it to actually play...

the same guy grabbed 3 DVDS (i had them for $5 a piece) and some of the PS games and offered 5...i flat out refused and then he went to $10...again i refused, he had about $22 worth of stuff in his hands plus i just gave him the deal for the systems before...so then he offered $15 which i took...he didnt try the cash in hand technique though

I even sold a new original playstation Multitap for $2...i still have 2 though unfortunatly:cry: ...also sold some genesis games for 50 cents a piece...again nothing special...surprisingly nobody brought any of the sega CD games...

[quote name='Jedi1979']where is the sense of humor...

on a side note i had a garage sale yesterday and had some of my Video Game items...nothing great just stuff i could never get rid of (ebay, trading in or whatever)...

i had about 20 BioFreaks sealed and some other random Crap PS games and 3 copies each of 2 GBC games still new E.T. digital Companion and International Track and Field and a DC World Series 2k1 and NBA showtime...i put them in a box with $2 marked on it for each game...and i sold everything in that box except for 4 BioFreaks games...i was SHOCKED...mostly to diff people too...i thought i couldnt give these games away but i was pleasently surprised...take into account these were games i basicalluy got for free when a Odd Lot went out of business near me

also sold a NES and a SNES with some crap games for $15...old blinky and old yella (the SNES)...i had brought this same lot with a lot more games which i kept a few weeks ago for $12...the guy came up to me without even looking at anything else offering for it...you can easily pick out the people who either collect or wanna resell or just want it to actually play...

the same guy grabbed 3 DVDS (i had them for $5 a piece) and some of the PS games and offered 5...i flat out refused and then he went to $10...again i refused, he had about $22 worth of stuff in his hands plus i just gave him the deal for the systems before...so then he offered $15 which i took...he didnt try the cash in hand technique though

I even sold a new original playstation Multitap for $2...i still have 2 though unfortunatly:cry: ...also sold some genesis games for 50 cents a piece...again nothing special...surprisingly nobody brought any of the sega CD games...[/QUOTE]

Ive contemplated having a garage sale and putting out the crap I could never sell/trade. I'm sure I would be able to sell most of it especially since alot of the kids thing 'classic' games are so 'retro'. Its pretty funny hearing the 13 year olds talk about the 'ghetto' grahics.

lol this thread turned hilarious, espically snotknocker.

"If you can't find anything, its YOUR fault"

I'm in the same boat as Strell... when I do go looking, I don't find jack shit, and when I ask, they pull out a bin full of Madden 95's... it's a waste of time for me to wake up early every Saturday to find shit, so I don't even bother anymore.

And Craigslist is the biggest joke of all around here. Sure, I'll buy your PS2 and 5 shitty games for $250!

What I love about this thread is that on top of the amazing deals, I remember one post where someone was like "I found a complete Shining Force 3 and Guardian Heroes, the guy wanted $50 a piece, which was just too much, and he wouldn't bargain"... shit, I would have pissed myself to find two $100 game's for "only" $50 a piece.

I went out to a swapmeet today and was just discouraged at first. I walked around and couldn't find anything; then I found some games. However, I recognized all these games as $5 games from Best Buy. I then recognized that this guy must have been a fatwalleter and a leech and stolen the coupon and hoarded all the games. As well I saw some other games that were priced a good couple dollars more than Gamestop ever priced them at. Then I thought I hit the jackpot, I was looking through a box of nes and random games and the lady running it said that she had some playstation games as well. I of course perked up and asked to see them. She instead pulled out three bad really common games. She then said that she had more and rooted around for those; I got excited when I saw one of them was a double-case. However it turned out to be Ceasers Palace 2 and I passed. I thanked her, gave the games back and left.

Then I passed a fellow collecter and was truly saddened. He was the trying to sell all of his old games including his intellivision and old NES games. I asked him how much for his Intellivision which I saw could be the only thing of worth and he mentioned that it would be $50 for the intellivision and the 20 games included. I didn't have enough to CIF anything so I said thanks and good luck and moved on.

I have a huge townwide garage sale on saturday that I'm going to next week; I'm hoping for a lot of luck.

Well I decided to go out and try my luck this weekend, this is what I came away with:
Metal Slug X
Mega Man 8
Blast Chamber
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Re-Loaded

All for psx, all complete and in decent conditon

All 3 Robert Ludlum "Bourne" books

for my $5.

enh, i still havent gotten to hitting some YS yet.. i wonder how its gonna be going with my BRO :whistle2:( weere both gonna jump and fight for the first game we see

Went to a junk shop today and picked up a box with an old style genesis, an odyssey with a few carts, a majorly beat NES console and an atari 7800 for $5. All of the stuff is FILTHY, but appears to be in decent shape otherwise.

Scored these today at Salvation Army. Surprised by the price since they usually have horrible prices. But they each had $1 price tags so I scooped them up.

Paid: $5

Edit: I should start my own thread for Thrift Store finds.

Picked up warcraft iii battle chest (discs and manual only) for $4. Not too bad I guess. still want that mini-turbografix.

[quote name='Zon27']

Scored these today at Salvation Army. Surprised by the price since they usually have horrible prices. But they each had $1 price tags so I scooped them up.

Paid: $5

Edit: I should start my own thread for Thrift Store finds.[/QUOTE]

Great find! I want at least three of those games! (I got Tetris Attack online for $8 I think and considered it a good deal).

I think one of the key points I've seen on this thread is to ask whether they (the seller at the garage sale) have games (if none are visible) and to pounce on the deals that follow when this is the case (since also, obvious chances are you'll have first crack at these items).

Contrast this with some 'big ticket yard sale' items like disney stuff or furnature for which I'd expect most sellers have a sense of what items they want to sell and at what price (factoring in some degree of haggling)... If I had a garage sale, I'm pretty sure I'd know the night before that if I 'wanted' to get $20 for the table I'd throw a $30 sticker on it... something like that. Whereas if someone came up and said, 'Hey, have any old video games to sell?', a seller might walk in, grab a Genesis with a few random games that they don't play and say 'I dunno, $10 plus $3 a game'.. And on the luck of the draw, you might have walked upon a guy sitting upon a complete copy of M.U.S.H.A.

[quote name='Ilovephysics']I think one of the key points I've seen on this thread is to ask whether they (the seller at the garage sale) have games (if none are visible) and to pounce on the deals that follow when this is the case (since also, obvious chances are you'll have first crack at these items).

Contrast this with some 'big ticket yard sale' items like disney stuff or furnature for which I'd expect most sellers have a sense of what items they want to sell and at what price (factoring in some degree of haggling)... If I had a garage sale, I'm pretty sure I'd know the night before that if I 'wanted' to get $20 for the table I'd throw a $30 sticker on it... something like that. Whereas if someone came up and said, 'Hey, have any old video games to sell?', a seller might walk in, grab a Genesis with a few random games that they don't play and say 'I dunno, $10 plus $3 a game'.. And on the luck of the draw, you might have walked upon a guy sitting upon a complete copy of M.U.S.H.A.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I only walked away with games from 2 yard sales and only saw them at 3 yard sales. The yard sale I walked away from the guy wanted ebay prices and one of the yard sales I hit were just two old GBC games. However the third yard sale was one where the people asked me what we were looking for and when I mentioned video games the lady actually ran in the house and pulled out her old NES + Games. From now on when I go yard sailing I dont give a shit what people think I am asking at each and every yard sale if the person having the sale has any old games.

ive gottin 3 replies about my craigs list post wanting your un wanted video games

some one is trying to sell me a nes and 75 games for 75 75 is her asking price

so i think i could knock it down to 50

some is offering me Crono triggers box and all inserts

and some one is saying they have console they dont play any more and will reply

Fair Amount this week

Donkey Kong 64 1$
Monster Trudk 64 1$
15 Complete Gameboy Color Games 30$ Including Pokemon Yellow, Red and Blue as well as Mario 2
About 8 PS1 games nothing special 1$ each
Starcraft 64 Complete 15$
Legend of Mana Complete 8$
Azure Dreams Complete 8$
Batter Up! Bat Complete for Genesis 2$
Mario Kart Double Dash Disc Only 2$
Mario Sunshine Disc Only 2$ up for trade
Mario Sunshine Complete 5$
007 Everything or Nothing GC Disc Only 2$
Battlefield 2 XB Complete 5$
Need for Speed Most Wanted XB Complete 5$
Resident Evil 3 GC Complete 14$

DVDs
Van Helsing 1$
Charlie's Angels 1$
Chicken Run 3$
Sylvia 4$ (not a great price but I'm a big Sylvia Plath fan)
A couple of other I can't remember 1$ each

CDs
About 20 for 1$ each

Scored some more free games from a friend
He gives them to me now when he's done with em

Xmen Legends II psp
Capcom vs SNK 2

And heres the kicker....he had Marvel vs Capcom 2 for ps2...said he couldn't find the disc so he'd give me the box and manual. Called me back, found the disc. I got super excited. He says 'well i've got a problem' and i said....what.
He stepped on it and it broke in half. He asked me if i wanted the pieces. I want to cry.

not a garage sale deal, but i just got a good deal on some forums I frequent. got a lot of 13 NES games for $15 shipped:

Megaman 3
Double Dragon II
Castlevania II: Simons Quest
California Games
Ice Hockey
Strider
Top Gun
Rampage
Rad Racer II
Dig Dug II
Marble Madness
Burgertime
Excitebike

I think Top Gun is the only one I already own. :D

EDIT: GOD I love those forums. I just scored Super Mario RPG for $5 shipped as well :D

hehehe

[quote name='Ilovephysics']I think one of the key points I've seen on this thread is to ask whether they (the seller at the garage sale) have games (if none are visible) and to pounce on the deals that follow when this is the case (since also, obvious chances are you'll have first crack at these items).

Contrast this with some 'big ticket yard sale' items like disney stuff or furnature for which I'd expect most sellers have a sense of what items they want to sell and at what price (factoring in some degree of haggling)... If I had a garage sale, I'm pretty sure I'd know the night before that if I 'wanted' to get $20 for the table I'd throw a $30 sticker on it... something like that. Whereas if someone came up and said, 'Hey, have any old video games to sell?', a seller might walk in, grab a Genesis with a few random games that they don't play and say 'I dunno, $10 plus $3 a game'.. And on the luck of the draw, you might have walked upon a guy sitting upon a complete copy of M.U.S.H.A.[/quote]

I appreciate how you mention MUSHA, one of the greatest shooters ever....Not many know about this game!

[quote name='Jimbo504']not a garage sale deal, but i just got a good deal on some forums I frequent. got a lot of 13 NES games for $15 shipped:

Megaman 3
Double Dragon II
Castlevania II: Simons Quest
California Games
Ice Hockey
Strider
Top Gun
Rampage
Rad Racer II
Dig Dug II
Marble Madness
Burgertime
Excitebike

I think Top Gun is the only one I already own. :D

EDIT: GOD I love those forums. I just scored Super Mario RPG for $5 shipped as well :D

hehehe[/quote]

JEEZ O_O What forum is it?!

I have been very stupid at garage sales before....
paid $5 for a scratched copy of Crimson Skies for XBOX
paid $3 for a scratched copy of 2002 FIFA World Cup for XBOX

I have to stick to the game systems I know, like Nintendo. Lucky for me, GameRush had the trade 3 games for the extra $5, so those garage sale blunders turned out ok in the end. Big thanks to the people who wrote the garage sale guide on CAG Wiki. Seriously, ask at every garage sale for video games because the only bad thing that will happen is "no, sorry".

i could use some advice. I am considering getting a xbox 360 from someone on craigslist but since a lot of the xbox 360 systems are busted, would it be hard to get it fixed by microsoft? Or should i just ask if i can see if it works before buying?

Or is this just a really bad idea(trying to get a big ticket item like this through craigslist)?

bread's done
Back