Official 2009 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Kuros']
finds051709.jpg

Bare NES deck - $4
2 Xbox/GCN/PS2 RF multiouts - $3
Mario Party 5 - $5
PS2 Network Adapter - $1
Alleyway, Paperboy, Volleyball, Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle - $8
Zelda, Contra, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Super Mario 3, Maniac Mansion and Ultima - $20[/QUOTE]

Nice find. I've been looking for contra for a while now. That's one of the few NES games that I haven't been able to buy back. I also need to find Kid Icarus.

One thing I need to start looking at more are the boxes of CDs I see at a lot of sales. I would both look for resale and stuff to go in my collection.

I've been kind of wanting to look into some rock, but I've never been sure what was good. Normally, I just look for movies soundtracks and classical stuff. I don't see a lot of Jazz, so I haven't had much exposure that.

[quote name='erehwon']Nice find. I've been looking for contra for a while now. That's one of the few NES games that I haven't been able to buy back. I also need to find Kid Icarus.

One thing I need to start looking at more are the boxes of CDs I see at a lot of sales. I would both look for resale and stuff to go in my collection.

I've been kind of wanting to look into some rock, but I've never been sure what was good. Normally, I just look for movies soundtracks and classical stuff. I don't see a lot of Jazz, so I haven't had much exposure that.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you are interested in NES games, I'm selling a lot on the trade forum.

[quote name='Sinnbox']Did you try to CIF?? From what I have seen most people like you describe are suckers for a $20, I have talked many of them down.

P.S. If you had a garage sale you would ask e-bay prices wouldnt you?[/QUOTE]
Yep, I tried to throw her $40 for a box of SNES games, but she declined. fuckin' bitch.

I finally hit a few sales this past weekend during the highway 50 sales. The day was looking bad as I saw a red Game Boy Advance for $10 and the usual overpriced PS2 sports games. At the next stop I found a "dog bone" NES controller for $2.50. Kind of high in my opinion for a yard sale, but I know what these get on Ebay, so I bought it. Next stop had lots of games GTA IV $19 and DOA Extreme 2 $13 (Xbox 360) were the highlights, but I passed as they looked to have been resealed. The day went downhill from there: a PS2 for $75, old Medal of Honor games and sports for PS2 at $15 each. So we headed back home and on the last stop out of town I spied some Xbox games. They were $13 each so I passed. Then I saw an Xbox on another table, but my dad asked me, "What's this?" I turned to look and he was holding a blue Nintendo DS, the original model. The guy running the sale said $10. I tried not to get too excited as I checked it out. I noticed it had Donkey Kong Country for GBA in it. I asked dad to see if the guy would take less, as I usually have no luck in doing this. He said he wouldn't because of the game it came with. I checked it out some more to see if it would power up, but it wouldn't. He said all it needs is a cord. I knew the stylus was also missing and that I have 2 GBA/DS chargers at home, so I decided to take a chance at $10. I got in the car and checked it out some more. In my earlier excitement I hadn't even noticed that it also had New Super Mario Brothers in the DS slot. I got it home and, with little hope, plugged the charger in. A few hours later I was playing. I'm still in shock.
I decided to check back on the sale on Sunday to see about the Xbox I'd forgotten once I noticed the DS. It was gone, but I decided to go through the game pile again. They had added Zelda Twilight Princess for Wii to the stack. They told me the magic price of $10 again. I got them to throw in a Hot Wheels car hauler (the yellow semi) for my nephew.
So for $22.50 I got a DS, Zelda TP, and an NES dog bone controller. Best weekend haul in a long time.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
WALL OF TEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/still read it anyways

nice DS find, *googles NES dogbone controller* lol

[quote name='ragtop70']
So for $22.50 I got a DS, Zelda TP, and an NES dog bone controller. Best weekend haul in a long time.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to add Donkey Kong Country (GBA) and New Super Mario Bros. to your haul for $22.50 ;)

found a box full of rrod 360s payed 20 bucks for 7, all cables included no controllers but two battery packs(wtf) the lady sold them to me so she could get some money for some gas, i also gave her 18 litres(in one of those orange containers) for a nikon coolpix camera with all cables and chargers

every time I ask people on craigslist who are having garage sales if they are gonna have video games for sale, they all tell me to come down and look. Err....

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']every time I ask people on craigslist who are having garage sales if they are gonna have video games for sale, they all tell me to come down and look. Err....[/QUOTE]

Ya I get that 99% of the time too. Sometimes they will tell you what they have or offer to sell before the sale but its pretty rare. Just as common is asking people after their sale if games are left and getting the response yes let me get you a list and then never hearing back from them.

There were very few copies of NCAA 2K3 for gamecube released so that's why it's rare...i think....

who would of thought a SPORTS game!! had so much value lol

Alot of games that are released at the end of a consoles life usually end up being rare

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ye0ldmario']There were very few copies of NBA 2K3 for gamecube released so that's why it's rare...i think....

Alot of games that are released at the end of a consoles life usually end up being rare[/QUOTE]

NCAA 2K3 you mean. Anyway, yea, it had a very short lived run.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']There were very few copies of NCAA 2K3 for gamecube released so that's why it's rare...i think....

Alot of games that are released at the end of a consoles life usually end up being rare[/QUOTE] I don't think it was released at the end of the console's life.

[quote name='cranguy']
I'm still praying to find a Nomad and an NES top loader one of these days. :pray:[/QUOTE]I wrote this in last year's yard sale thread, and I'm happy to report that today, I found my first NES Toploader in a consignment shop for $10. It came with a NES Advantage controller but is missing RF and power cables. Power should be replaceable once I find out what pin polarity it's supposed to be.

Now if I could only find a )(@#$)(* Nomad!

For CIF do you guys ask for a price first or just shove what you want to pay into their face?
I'm trying to figure out a more effective way of doing this.

[quote name='darkslime']For CIF do you guys ask for a price first or just shove what you want to pay into their face?
I'm trying to figure out a more effective way of doing this.[/QUOTE]

I typically ask price first then haggle.

[quote name='Kuros']I typically ask price first then haggle.[/QUOTE] Thanks. That's what I usually do too, but snotknocker seems to just shove the money in people's faces, and he also seems to get a consistent flow of awesome stuff for extremely cheap, so I might try that.

[quote name='darkslime']Thanks. That's what I usually do too, but snotknocker seems to just shove the money in people's faces, and he also seems to get a consistent flow of awesome stuff for extremely cheap, so I might try that.[/QUOTE]

he hits up like 3-4 hrs worth of yard sales.

@ Kuros, I saw that Dreamcast stick too, too bad i dont have a DC :D

[quote name='Furashu']he hits up like 3-4 hrs worth of yard sales.
[/QUOTE] I yard sale 3-4 hours every Saturday I go yard saling and get nowhere near that amount of stuff. Maybe once a year I'll get as good a day as he seems to get every time.

Nah there's a shit ton of yard sales out, just not enough decently priced video games, and a lot of very firm on the price people.

I hit up three yard sales, two advertised and one on the way back.

The first one had a small selection... a PS2 for $75 with a controller, MLB The Show 08 for $20. Then for the 360 they had NCAA and NBA '09 both for $20 and Sega Tennis for $5 which I considered for the arcade games included as it was still sealed (minus celophane). I might pick it up later as my sister wants to stop. Then they had World of Warcraft 2 Battle.net for $5 and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3: Platinum for $15. So I passed on all of that and set out expecting to be disappointed at the next.

When I got there, there wasn't much. When checking around I spotted a handful of Genesis games that the lady said were $1.

So for $4 I grabbed...

Asterix
BOB
Puggsy
Battletoads/Double Dragon

All are in the cases, sadly none have instructions. I have Battletoads by itself, but I definitely couldn't resist for $1 as I assumed the rest were more or less $1-ish games (and I was right).

I left behind... Madden '95 (I already have '96), College Football's National Championship (game only) and Aladdin in the Rocky Knight Adventure case and Vectorman in the Sonic Case (I have Vectorman game only... I considered buying this for the case to Sonic, but passed as cases aren't super important to me). I probably should've CIF $5 for all, but eh. I got what looked good to me.

[quote name='darkslime']Thanks. That's what I usually do too, but snotknocker seems to just shove the money in people's faces, and he also seems to get a consistent flow of awesome stuff for extremely cheap, so I might try that.[/QUOTE]

It's kinda hard to do that in the San Diego area, many tend to overvalue their games.

[quote name='darkslime']For CIF do you guys ask for a price first or just shove what you want to pay into their face?
I'm trying to figure out a more effective way of doing this.[/QUOTE]

IMO it's better to make the first offer on something if it doesn't have a price on it to help you set the starting price low. Rarely do people just take $5 when I do this on a good find (like a system with games) but a few times when I offered $5 and was told that's too low I've turned around with an offer of $10 and had it taken.

[quote name='RobMinhas']found a box full of rrod 360s payed 20 bucks for 7, all cables included no controllers but two battery packs(wtf) the lady sold them to me so she could get some money for some gas, i also gave her 18 litres(in one of those orange containers) for a nikon coolpix camera with all cables and chargers[/QUOTE]
Whoa, i would love love love to have a rrod 360 to tinker with, would you be willing to part with any at the right price?

Stopped at a few sales today for the first time in years. One had some PS2 sports games for like $5 that didn't interest me but i did pick up Super Mario World (SNES) and Donkey Kong 64 for a buck a piece at another.

Thats the problem in AZ darkslime. People sell baby stuff and womans clothes and call it a yard sale. Most of the electronics/tools/games get bought up and taken down south. Both me and my brother go yard saling, and its been slim pickens in Phoenix lately. (at least for me)

You must have ebay vultures or game gobblers in your area or something. I am 99% sure we have them here as well because SA and GW are always bone dry like the desert. Flea market usually has something but none of the toothless dumbos up there let you haggle and it's so damn hot up here right now to go digging through peoples junk.

If you collect baby toys we have a gold mine open for the taking though! :D

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']You must have ebay vultures or game gobblers in your area or something. I am 99% sure we have them here as well because SA and GW are always bone dry like the desert. Flea market usually has something but none of the toothless dumbos up there let you haggle and it's so damn hot up here right now to go digging through peoples junk.

If you collect baby toys we have a gold mine open for the taking though! :D[/QUOTE] Nope, everyone here just shows up at the houses at 4 am, pretend not to speak english to get cheaper prices, and bring everything down to Mexico.

well, tomorrow will mark my first time ever going garage saleing exclusively for video game deals. i'm not getting my hopes up, but it'd be nice to boost my personal collection or find some nice items to flip. i'll be looking for snes, n64 and 360 games, but i wouldnt mind picking up an nes or a dreamcast for the right price.

also hoping to find some nice deals on dvds, but we'll see.

i just hope i've done enough research/made a detailed enough list so i don't miss any possible rarities due to my ignorance ;)

good luck to everyone this weekend! (unless you're in my area ;))

I just wanted to pipe in that I am "going for it" on Saturday. I hope everyone stays out of my area. I will post if I hit or miss on Saturday night. Good luck to everyone else!!!

Picked up some stuff at a nearby swap meet.

PC games:
6jkkn6.jpg

Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
Phantasmagoria (Missing CD1 :()
Police Quest SWAT

28kiln7.jpg

BLADE RUNNER! Really one of my favorite games.

ojo385.jpg

Central Intelligence. Never heard of this game before but how can I resist a complete bigbox game? It looks like a decent strategic spygame.

Also, a couple of PlayStation games:
m8ensz.jpg

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds
Broken Sword (Rental version without manual :()

As an added bonus, here's a picture of a bunch of frogs inviting you to their gayden.
2lleps1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today was basically a bust. I hit probably 20 sales, and there was almost nothing to be found. I picked up DMC4 for 360 for $5, and the Legend of Zelda board game, which has seen better days and is missing 4 tiles, for $1

I found the original road rash and battletech 2120(or something) for $1 each, turned down a couple sonic 1's. This is the first find sans sports ps2/cube/360 I've ever had. I did also score a huge bin of lego's with a bunch of star wars sets thrown in for $15.

I tend to gravitate towards just whipping out some cash and making a ridiculously low offer, I've found this to be my most effective technique and consider this to be the TRUE meaning of CIF, however you can ask price and still effectively CIF an offer.

Naturally though there are times when I will ask then haggle. I don't really think it is as cut and dry as ask price or CIF. There are many factors such as if an item is marked with a price, the price of other things at the sale, who the seller is, if the stuff is out when you get there or they go in the house and bring it out after you ask for games, noticeable flaws with the item that you could point out to lower the price, what kind of neghborhood your in, how badly you want the item and honestly I could drag this list out much longer.

A few things though that you really need to do is prepare effectively for your outing, get out early, plot a course, if you drive get a GPS, ALWAYS be prepared to quickly CIF, be friendly and talkative, (buy a cup of lemonade from the kid, pet the dog, compliment the beautiful baby etc.) Shyness, fear of lowball offerings, a lack of preparedness are surely some of the top things that are going to sink your ship. Believe me I've been doing this for a while and there were countless times I learned from my mistakes.

When you go to a sale by whatever means possible try to make yourself likable. You want to kinda not be like "everybody else" with the "how much for this?" or how much for that?" You kinda have to play a rolL sort to speak.

Some people may not agree with how I do things but I know what puts games in my collection cheaply and money in my pocket.

Although they have not been here in a while Evilmax and Moiety I believe had similar technique and philosphies. Those 2 really scored many a jaw dropping deal as well.

I suggest you put your game face on and start CIF'ing some lowball offers.
You got nothing to lose and everything to gain. GO FOR IT!

Today:

The Godfather VHS Collection- $5 (I got it down from $10, I should've gone to $3 but I didn't have enough money that low)
White GBA with a link cable, Super Mario Land (GB game only) and Super Mario World (GBA game only)
Monty Python Life of Brian VHS ($1, I should've went to 25 cents)
Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun PC- $1
The Simpsons Season 1 DVD set- $2
The Great Mouse Detective, Spider-Man, Rescuers Down Under VHS- 25 cents each

Stuff I didn't get:
Someone said they'd just sold their games, and I saw someone driving away.
Sega Pico with 4 or 5 games- $25 (I should've got it to $5-10)

I went back out today and picked up the Sega Superstars Tennis/XBL Arcade (console included disc) for $5 that I looked at yesterday. I mainly got it for the Pac-Man and UNO games, but I might play the Tennis a little to try for some easy acchievement points.

I also snagged a sweet replica metal sign for Old Judge Tobacco with a dog smoking a pipe for $7, three Pee-Wee Playhouse VHS tapes for my nephews for $3 (I try to school them on the classics when I get the chance). I also got some stuff thrown in from that lady, including some magnets, and a bumper sticker for a radio station.

I stopped at a few others that were mostly bust. One had Ready 2 Rumble Round 2 and Jet Set Radio for the DC for $1 each. I probably should've grabbed them, but the only person I know with a DC has both those titles.

The PS2 I saw before was marked down to $50, so I'll see if my dad's interested when he wakes up.

I also saw three Gameboy Color games that had me going from heart pumping to flatlined in record time. NSync Get To The Show, Powerpuff Girls and Camelot... all for $5 each. Oh... and they were a little wet as it rained for a short bit.

Nothing much out there today. I hit two multi-family development community sales. Only one place had games. I grabbed Halo 2 CIF for $4, but in retrospect I should have tried to get it lower since it was marked $5. Just have to learn from those sorts of things I guess.

Went again this morning, maybe saw one game at about eight places. My morning was cut short due to annoying allergies and the "wonderful" Mid-Missouri humidity. I did get a nice DVD stand for a buck though, so I guess it wasn't all terrible

[quote name='Mizzou75']Went again this morning, maybe saw one game at about eight places. My morning was cut short due to annoying allergies and the "wonderful" Mid-Missouri humidity. I did get a nice DVD stand for a buck though, so I guess it wasn't all terrible[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I always keep a look out for shelving like that. I got two nice # shaped shelves that looked to be designed to hang on walls and probably hold small knickknacks, but are just awesome for games. SNES games fit like perfect on the sides and Sega games go great on the on the top part.

Beautiful weather, terrible sales this week. Old lady shot down my generous $5 CIF for a last-gen racing wheel controller. At the last sale I just bought Sonic 2 and Ecco for Gamegear and uh....Chase HQ: Secret Police (Game Boy). $3, meh. At both of these sales I was told someone came earlier and bought the other game stuff they had, but damn is it hard to get out before 10-11 AM.

bread's done
Back